News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Yellow Toll Banners in IL

Started by rmsandw, October 01, 2010, 10:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on June 29, 2013, 07:29:37 PM
Any indirectness of using it as a bypass to reach Rockford is also true of Schaumburg. Why would you use I-355 to reach Schaumburg when you can go 294-290? I'd use Aurora, being the control city for I-88 west (and only 2 miles longer than via 294).

I would use 355 to get to Schaumburg if I were coming on I-80 from Tinley Park or Mokena.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sandwalk

The 'I-355 North Rockford' control is a bit strange, but it's not completely off-base.  It is a viable alternative to bypass the city of Chicago if just passing through, instead of using I-90.  However, Schaumburg is probably the best option as the control city.

Coincidentally, when I travel to Ohio to visit family I end up leaving Rockford and traveling down I-39 south to I-88 east to I-355 south to I-80 east. (And vice versa on the return trip).  I usually hit the Indiana border in just under 2 hours.....less traffic, little congestion, higher rates of speed.

I prefer this route to I-90 through the city or I-290/I-294 through the inner-ring suburbs.

paleocon121171

Quote from: ET21 on July 01, 2013, 02:29:10 PM
For I-80 and probably every exit, they could have done a generic "Northwest Suburbs" control like on the 88 ramps (NW burbs and Joliet for controls)

Joliet can still be a south control, but I think 'Southwest Suburbs" is being used more often southbound. It's amazing how much the southern portion is being used today compared to when it first opened  :-o

"Southwest Suburbs" is a better control city for the 290-355 interchange south of Biesterfield Road (a.k.a. Exit 7) where I-355 has its northern terminus. It's all encompassing so to speak. "Joliet" makes more sense (for those heading south) at the 55-355 interchange in Bolingbrook.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.