News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US city population estimates (2012)

Started by golden eagle, May 26, 2013, 08:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

I saw the numbers for Frisco, TX, and I'm startled at how fast they have grown! They had around 3k in 1980, 7k in 1990, 33k in 2000 and almost 130k today!

Billy F 1988

The numbers for Missoula, MT sit at over 60,000. Missoula Metro Area (which accounts for suburb areas such as Orchard Homes, West Side, North Side, South Hills, Wye, and East Missoula) as of July 2012 sits at 110,977. Missoula proper as of July 2012 is at 68,394, which makes it the fourth largest city in Montana and we're as large as Fort Collins, CO's 2000 population. I'm not sure what Frenchtown, which is 15 miles west of Missoula, sits at for 2012 estimated population. It was 1,825 from the 2010 Census compared to 880 in 2000. My hypothetical guess based on the 2012 Missoula estimate is that Frenchtown would sit within the 1,900-2,100 range. Frenchtown may end up reaching 2,000+ within the next couple of years, if not break well past it by the 2020 Census.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

elsmere241

Quote from: empirestate on June 12, 2013, 11:26:01 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 12, 2013, 12:42:19 PM
Portland, Maine has 66,214 people (largest city in Maine). New Britain, Connecticut (where I am) has 73,206. However, Portland feels far bigger, since they're the center of Maine's population base, while we're "only" the largest city within a 20-mile radius of downtown Hartford (population of 124,775).

Wilmington, DE has something like 70,000, but it has the look and feel of a city of a quarter million or so (or at least its downtown does).

Wilmington and Raleigh, NC have the same overall feel to me.  Raleigh's city limits go much farther out (especially to the north and east).

agentsteel53

Quote from: golden eagle on June 18, 2013, 11:15:10 PM
I saw the numbers for Frisco, TX, and I'm startled at how fast they have grown! They had around 3k in 1980, 7k in 1990, 33k in 2000 and almost 130k today!

bleh.  it went from being a town of its own character, to being a suburb.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Desert Man

Having read the city population estimates for the Inland Empire region of Southern Cal., there's still some growth in most of them. In the town I reside in (La Quinta, Cal.) the new population estimate is 38,783, up from 37,467 in the 2010 census. Many communities are running out of room to build new houses, although there's a level of open space...and the housing bubble burst in 2008 followed by the Great Recession slowed down population growth in hard-hit areas like Southern Cal.

Population growth in the Dakotas is seen as a good thing, after previous decades of population loss in most of the states of North and South Dakota. The area's oil boom along with increased fracking activity should indicate America's push for exploration of new sources of oil within its boundaries. The oil boom generates job growth and entices new residents in moving to the Dakotas, but be in mind winters are sub-zero brutal, then where I live has triple-digit temps. in the summer months.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Alps

While poking around Google Maps semi-randomly (looking at 1920's continuations of NJ routes into other states), I ended up at Kiryas Joel. Check out the population growth there. It could eclipse Middletown by 2020.

Thing 342

Juneau eclipsed Fairbanks for the title of Alaska's second largest city. Still nowhere near Anchorage, (298k v. 32k) though.

Also, Goss, MO was counted in the Census despite having a population of 0.

Road Hog

Quote from: golden eagle on June 18, 2013, 11:15:10 PM

Yes, it's incredible. I remember when they built the mall at 121 and Preston and it was in the middle of absolutely nowhere at the time. That was just a little over a decade ago.

The next town up from Frisco is Prosper, which is sitting right now about where Frisco was in the mid-1990s. The Dallas North Tollway ends at US 380, and Prosper is starting to go crazy too. Prosper was a little 1A school for forever and it's 4A now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.