News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: kkt on December 19, 2013, 10:06:25 AM
Many stacks of purple dittos.  I was amazed.

Oh man did I read that sentence wrong the first time.  :ded:
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

D-Dey65

Quote from: DeaconG on December 01, 2013, 03:44:04 PM
I had one of those, they were made by JVC and had a AM/FM radio, cassette deck and B&W TV built in.  Came in real handy when I used to ride Greyhound back and forth from my home to my duty station.
I take it they weren't like any of the stereos here:
http://www.fuselage.de/chr73/73chr_acc_01b.jpg

http://www.fuselage.de/chr73/73chr_acc_02b.jpg

cjk374

You may be a bit aged if you remember Liquid Paper (instead of today's correction ribbon) & the high you got everytime you opened the bottle to use it.   :ded:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

sammi

Quote from: cjk374 on December 29, 2013, 12:38:28 AM
You may be a bit aged if you remember Liquid Paper (instead of today's correction ribbon) & the high you got everytime you opened the bottle to use it.   :ded:

I actually remember using Liquid Paper (my 10-year-old self found it a bitch to use), but not the other half of that statement. :sombrero:

vtk

I thought correction ribbon was the older tech. We always used liquid paper in my house.  Is it not still available?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Stephane Dumas

For Canadians here on the forum, anyone who remember that classic CBC ident?

Back when CBS aired Charlie Brown, Fat Albert, Garfield Christmas/Halloween/Easter/Valentine's Day specials. Who remember the CBS special presentation logo?

mgk920

. . . mouse balls (for computer controlling).

:-o

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: vtk on December 29, 2013, 01:11:32 AM

I thought correction ribbon was the older tech. We always used liquid paper in my house.  Is it not still available?

You can still get it and I still use it.

Mike

Alps

Quote from: mgk920 on December 29, 2013, 10:08:37 AM
Quote from: vtk on December 29, 2013, 01:11:32 AM

You can still get it and I still use it.

Mike
It still hangs around my workplace. When you're redlining a plan to be scanned and sent, you can either print a new one every time you screw up or just white out the offending line. If your redline is a shape instead of a line, it's much more effective to use the brush than a ribbon of tape.

DaBigE

Quote from: mgk920 on December 29, 2013, 10:05:13 AM
. . . mouse balls (for computer controlling).

:-o

Mike

Depends on the type of mouse ball...track ball mice are still alive and kicking. I wouldn't do CAD work any other way. :nod:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

route56

Quote from: DaBigE on December 29, 2013, 03:12:17 PM
Depends on the type of mouse ball...track ball mice are still alive and kicking. I wouldn't do CAD work any other way. :nod:

Unfortunately, my trackball doesn't have a scroll wheel, so I still use a mouse

(Modern trackballs are optical, however)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Scott5114

Or the TV guide channels that just scroll the programming grid ad nauseum while something unrelated goes on in the corner.

Heck, actual printed TV guides, for that matter. Do they still have those in the Sunday papers?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 30, 2013, 03:30:08 AM
Or the TV guide channels that just scroll the programming grid ad nauseum while something unrelated goes on in the corner.

Heck, actual printed TV guides, for that matter. Do they still have those in the Sunday papers?

The Washington Post offers one, but you have to request it (at least, subscribers do–I don't know if it's included with the single copy of the Sunday paper you can buy at the grocery store). Ms1995hoo had requested it be included with her paper before we got married because she used an antenna and so didn't have a TV guide channel.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

When Vermont used to paint their center line striping with each stripe a big distance apart.  It had a wider mid section between the two double lines in no passing zones.

Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway both used single white lines in the middle of their respected roadways.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

J N Winkler

The Wichita Eagle apparently still offers a weekly TV guide, but only as an extra-cost option, which we don't take.  This means that we have to keep a fairly ratty-looking channel guide next to the remote to keep track of our local station-to-channel assignments, which didn't used to be necessary.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US71

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 30, 2013, 09:46:27 AM
The Wichita Eagle apparently still offers a weekly TV guide, but only as an extra-cost option, which we don't take.  This means that we have to keep a fairly ratty-looking channel guide next to the remote to keep track of our local station-to-channel assignments, which didn't used to be necessary.

Springfield, Missouri News-Leader totally discontinued the weekly guide. Must have been costing Gannett too much money
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Been gone from the Lexington Herald-Leader for a few years, too. I think you could pay for it separately for awhile but I don't even know if they offer that now or not.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DeaconG

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 27, 2013, 08:00:41 PM
Quote from: DeaconG on December 01, 2013, 03:44:04 PM
I had one of those, they were made by JVC and had a AM/FM radio, cassette deck and B&W TV built in.  Came in real handy when I used to ride Greyhound back and forth from my home to my duty station.
I take it they weren't like any of the stereos here:
http://www.fuselage.de/chr73/73chr_acc_01b.jpg

http://www.fuselage.de/chr73/73chr_acc_02b.jpg

Nope, I actually tried to find the one that I had, the closest one had a 5-inch color screen and the one I had carried a 3 1/2 inch B&W screen. There are some things ya just can't find on the internets!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

D-Dey65

Quote from: DeaconG on December 30, 2013, 11:16:28 PM
Nope, I actually tried to find the one that I had, the closest one had a 5-inch color screen and the one I had carried a 3 1/2 inch B&W screen. There are some things ya just can't find on the internets!
This one is in color, although it's not five inches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RC747fMTgE

I'll try to look up some black and white ones.

DeaconG

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 02, 2014, 10:57:04 AM
Quote from: DeaconG on December 30, 2013, 11:16:28 PM
This one is in color, although it's not five inches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RC747fMTgE

I'll try to look up some black and white ones.

That one is damn close to the one I had, the only primary difference besides it being B&W is that the tube was on the right, not the left.  I stumbled onto a JVC boombox site that had their boomboxes listed but the interface is terrible.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

roadman65

When NYSDOT used to place signs on interstates saying:

THERE ARE NO SERVICES ON THIS ROUTE
FIND THEM AT INTERCHANGES

I am guessing that was to help drivers get used to the new freeway concept when Interstates were new.

Also, all rest areas on NY 17 were referred to as "Phone Comfort Stations."
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on January 03, 2014, 08:39:06 AM
When NYSDOT used to place signs on interstates saying:
Also, all rest areas on NY 17 were referred to as "Phone Comfort Stations."

And now they're "Texting Zones."

What's old is new again.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: exit322 on December 19, 2013, 12:53:35 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on December 18, 2013, 04:59:35 PM
... mimeograph & ditto machines (precursor to the (Xerox) copiers)

Disclaimer: I wasn't old enough to use these but I do remember receiving worksheets at school (through either 6th or 7th grade) that were printed by the above.

I graduated high school in 2000 and we still had a ditto machine that at least one teacher used a lot.

There was one machine in the entire school, there were very few people trusted to operate it (teachers would leave off an item to be reproduced), and it was a messy, smelly affair.  I still don't know exactly how it worked. 

About 25% of them were so light and faded it was hard to impossible to read.  Purplish-blue ink is not the easiest to read.

I didn't know until now that "ditto" was a brand.  I learned that word first as the name of an in-house reproduced school worksheet, and only later to mean "same as what he/she said."  Is the former sense still in use at all?  Does anyone have a kid around they can ask?

J N Winkler

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 03, 2014, 11:57:59 PMI didn't know until now that "ditto" was a brand.  I learned that word first as the name of an in-house reproduced school worksheet, and only later to mean "same as what he/she said."  Is the former sense still in use at all?  Does anyone have a kid around they can ask?

I remember the former sense of ditto from my school days, but not as a brand so much as a genericized trademark (in much the same way the British use hoover to mean vacuuming a carpet).  Some ways of using ditto in the latter sense are now very much dated.  In the Web 2.0 age the word itself is still widely understood as a synonym for "+1," but back in the 1930's it was often abbreviated "do." and used as a field filler in tables laid out by typewriter--a practice that has now completely vanished.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.