Kentucky to DC to Atlanta to Houston to Dallas to Kentucky

Started by hbelkins, September 06, 2013, 01:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

My wife's embarking on a long trip next week to chase Depeche Mode around. She's seeing concerts in Bristow, Va. (DC suburb), Atlanta, The Woodland, Tx. (Houston suburb) and Dallas.

Here's the proposed route.

KY-DC: I-64, I-81, I-66. This is pretty straightforward since the concert is near Manassas, which is also where she's staying.

DC-Atlanta: I-66, I-81, I-77, I-85. Since she's departing from Manassas, Google chose this route over I-95 to I-85. Patrick Z.'s cautions about I-81 notwithstanding, I think this is a better route than I-95 and I-85. For one, it avoids the known mess of I-95 from DC to Fredericksburg, and also avoids Richmond and the Triangle area of NC. Plus, the scenery is better. Thoughts?

Atlanta-Houston: I-85, I-65, I-10, I-12, I-10, I-610, I-45. She's done this in reverse before, and did I-59 and I-20 instead of I-65 and I-85 between Atlanta and Louisiana. This is the Google-preferred route, but is it a better choice than I-20 and I-59?

Houston-Dallas: I-45 (duh).

Dallas-Home: I-30, I-40, I-65, Bluegrass Parkway. This is really the only option for a direct route unless one opts for I-55 to I-155 to US 51 to the Purchase Parkway to I-24 to the WK Parkway. Google preferred the Cumberland Parkway to KY 80 to London, but she hates KY 30 from London on to home, so the BG works better for her and once she gets to Lexington she's on practically home turf.

Any known issues on any of these routes? Anything that would recommend one route over another on the segments where viable options exist? (DC-Atlanta and Atlanta-Houston)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Quote from: hbelkins on September 06, 2013, 01:03:28 PM

DC-Atlanta: I-66, I-81, I-77, I-85. Since she's departing from Manassas, Google chose this route over I-95 to I-85. Patrick Z.'s cautions about I-81 notwithstanding, I think this is a better route than I-95 and I-85. For one, it avoids the known mess of I-95 from DC to Fredericksburg, and also avoids Richmond and the Triangle area of NC. Plus, the scenery is better. Thoughts?

Construction is still underway along Interstate 85 from Exit 55 (N.C. 73) to Exit 46 (Mallard Creek Church Road). When we passed through last month, southbound was relegated to two lanes lined with barriers and no shoulders.

Atlanta-Houston: I-85, I-65, I-10, I-12, I-10, I-610, I-45. She's done this in reverse before, and did I-59 and I-20 instead of I-65 and I-85 between Atlanta and Louisiana. This is the Google-preferred route, but is it a better choice than I-20 and I-59?

Not sure if the widening of I-10 west of I-65 to Exit 15 is completed, but speed limits were lowered to 50 mph through there with rigid enforcement. The rest of I-10 in Mobile County tends to be heavy on speed enforcement as well.

dfilpus

DC-Atlanta: Absolutely avoid I-95 north of Fredericksburg. My current routing from Manassas to the Triangle is US 29 west to Opal VA and US 17 south to Fredericksburg. Also avoid I-85 northeast of Charlotte. It is a mess.

I would go I-81/I-77/I-85. The Charlotte loop I-485 is a good bypass of Charlotte, whether to I-85 or even I-77 south.

hbelkins

Yes, I have her going around on I-485. Also, if she was going to use I-20 to I-59 for the Atlanta-to-Houston leg of the trip, I'd have her take I-459. I neglected to mention those two bypasses.

formulanone

My wife's embarking on a long trip next week to chase Depeche Mode around.

Keeping up with Depeche Mode? Don't be a violator, take 101; but if taking a ride with your best friend is not your thing, then book a Delta Machine.

froggie

QuoteDC-Atlanta: Absolutely avoid I-95 north of Fredericksburg.

Depends on time of day.  Before lunch is usually fine.  After lunch is when things tend to bog down, but the bogging down is primarily from Dale City north on the weekends.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Beware of Baton Rouge rush hour. That will slow you down considerably and of course there is no real fast bypass. She should be fine as long as the trip is timed to pass through BR during the middle of the day or the late evening.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on September 11, 2013, 12:17:18 PM
QuoteDC-Atlanta: Absolutely avoid I-95 north of Fredericksburg.

Depends on time of day.  Before lunch is usually fine.  After lunch is when things tend to bog down, but the bogging down is primarily from Dale City north on the weekends.

She did I-66 to I-81 to I-77 and as I type this, she is somewhere near Fancy Gap and the VA/NC state line.

MrDisco99

Quote from: formulanone on September 06, 2013, 04:21:25 PM
Keeping up with Depeche Mode? Don't be a violator, take 101; but if taking a ride with your best friend is not your thing, then book a Delta Machine.

This really is the best advice :clap:

hm insulators

Quote from: MrDisco99 on October 15, 2013, 01:26:45 PM
Quote from: formulanone on September 06, 2013, 04:21:25 PM

This really is the best advice :clap:

And when the shows are done, enjoy the silence and remember that people are people.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.