News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Matté

Why's the city involved in this at all? Calhoun St. == CR 653 therefore county's fault.

(Though potholes I've called in a few weeks ago in suburbia haven't been filled yet either)

EDIT: Lookie here, the signals along Calhoun are city-maintained, see pg. 27 of this.

Zeffy

Quote from: Mr. Matté on February 19, 2015, 07:27:03 PM
Why's the city involved in this at all? Calhoun St. == CR 653 therefore county's fault.

(Though potholes I've called in a few weeks ago in suburbia haven't been filled yet either)

Actually, that is a good question, because I just looked at the SLDs and 653 is definitely maintained by Mercer County and not the City of Trenton (though, since the county seat is Trenton, I wonder if that has anything to do with it...).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

While in most cases county routes are maintained by the county and State/US/Interstate routes are maintained by the state, there are exceptions.  Closer to me, some stretches of US 322 are maintained by Gloucester County, for example. 

J Route Z

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 19, 2015, 08:41:38 PM
While in most cases county routes are maintained by the county and State/US/Interstate routes are maintained by the state, there are exceptions.  Closer to me, some stretches of US 322 are maintained by Gloucester County, for example.

US 322 in the vicinity of Rowan University, would this be owned by the county? I have tried to contact them about pedestrian sign issues, as there are many redundant signs within the campus (http://goo.gl/maps/UMPA6), as well as vandalized ones. And there is one missing school advance crossing sign eastbound approaching the Harvard Road intersection.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J Route Z on February 20, 2015, 12:11:52 AM

US 322 in the vicinity of Rowan University, would this be owned by the county? I have tried to contact them about pedestrian sign issues, as there are many redundant signs within the campus (http://goo.gl/maps/UMPA6), as well as vandalized ones. And there is one missing school advance crossing sign eastbound approaching the Harvard Road intersection.

That would be state jurisdiction there.  County jurisdiction basically is within Mullica Hill.  Generally speaking, they own Rt. 322 east of Rt. 55 to about Tomlin Station Rd.

Zeffy

And US 206 despite being a... national road is wholly maintained by the city of Trenton, as well as the township of Hamilton.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

ekt8750

They even emphasize that with the CR 322 shields they have erected on that stretch of road.

roadman65

US 202 is also county maintained north of NJ 53 into New York State.  Only the interchange at I-80, the NJ 23 overlap, and the I-287 interchange in Oakland are the exceptions.

As far as US 206 in Trenton goes the signing is terrible there I noticed on GSV.  When they replaced the intersection at the south end of the Warren Street one way section with a roundabout, the city did not bother to re-erect the US 206 shields to direct motorists to turn left there and even right back on Broad one block over.  However, by ridding the US 1 Business shields they did right on that one since it never was US 1 Business and US 1 Alternate was decommissioned decades ago that continued down Warren into PA via the Trenton Makes Bridge.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on February 20, 2015, 10:13:33 AM

They even emphasize that with the CR 322 shields they have erected on that stretch of road.

They're gone.  They were only up during the construction when former 322 was closed for the replacement of the dam, and were only used for detouring of traffic.  The road reopened in December.

CR 536 overlaps US 322.

ixnay

Quote from: Zeffy on February 20, 2015, 09:37:07 AM

And US 206 despite being a... national road is wholly maintained by the city of Trenton, as well as the township of Hamilton.

U.S. 1 and U.S. 40, despite also having national status, are maintained by the city of Baltimore, MD within that jurisdiction.  So are I-83 and the state-numbered roads within same IIRC.  I-95, I-695, and I-895 within Baltimore city are maintained by the MD Transportation Authority, which operates MD's toll facilities.

ixnay

roadman65

Just look at the SLR  SLD and it tells you what NJ designated highways are NJDOT maintained and where and which segments are not!  NJ 31 and NJ 33 are not state maintained inside Trenton either, as well as NJ 47 east of the Intracoastal Waterway into Wildwood as there Cape May County maintains it and even shields it as their designated 600 series route.

You think they would sign both, unless they added some NJ 47 signs along that stretch, as it is a tourist area and many do not know the roads being strangers that it should be signed real well as that is the main road leading in and out of the resort area.  Plus it connects to Exit 4 on the Parkway which is the main freeway in New Jersey serving the lower Cape from Northern South Jersey as well as Central and North Jersey.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The only evidence that Rio Grande Ave. in Wildwood is NJ-47 is the 0.5 mile marker posted by NJDOT. It is unsigned otherwise. Same goes for NJ-109 in Cape May City.

ixnay

Quote from: roadman65 on February 21, 2015, 02:04:42 PM
Just look at the SLR

SLR?  I am not a road geek.

ixnay

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on February 21, 2015, 06:21:33 PM
Just look at the SLR

SLR?  I am not a road geek.

ixnay
It's a digital camera with high resolution.

roadman65

SLD.  It has been corrected.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Quote from: NJRoadfan on February 21, 2015, 05:28:35 PM
The only evidence that Rio Grande Ave. in Wildwood is NJ-47 is the 0.5 mile marker posted by NJDOT. It is unsigned otherwise.
There *are* coastal evacuation route and GSP signs pointing at it from Ocean Avenue, but I agree, the way off the island needs to be signed better than that

jeffandnicole

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20150224_Tanker_fire_forces_evacuations_in_Pennsauken.html

You can't tell by the picture currently shown, but take a look at the posted video. No doubt that road surface ain't going to be in good shape!

odditude

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 23, 2015, 01:58:32 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20150224_Tanker_fire_forces_evacuations_in_Pennsauken.html

You can't tell by the picture currently shown, but take a look at the posted video. No doubt that road surface ain't going to be in good shape!
the smoke was clearly visible from Center City.

Zeffy

A Hamilton Firm Wins $23m Contract For Scudder Falls Bridge (I-95) Replacement

QuoteEWING – The Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission is moving ahead with the replacement of the Scudder Falls Bridge, the most significant step in the project in over two years.

As part of its $22.5 million contract with the commission, Michael Baker Jr. Inc. will provide design services for the replacement of the 4.4-mile portion of the I-95 corridor, between the Bear Tavern Road/Route 579 exit in Ewing and the Route 332/Yardley-Newtown Road exit in Lower Makefield, Pa.

QuoteThe current Scudder Falls Bridge has an inadequate number of lanes and lacks shoulders, causing massive traffic delays after even the simplest of crashes and emergencies. On average, traffic congestion at the bridge results in a 27-minute delay for commuters.

The design work is expected to take about 18 months of a three- to four-year construction timeline, but the release from the commission noted that start and end dates are not yet established.

QuoteAs a part of the $327.5 million project, the commission will reconfigure the Taylorsville Road interchange in Lower Makefield, Pa., and make drainage improvements along the Bear Tavern Road exit.

Bicycle and pedestrian walkways will also be constructed, connecting to recreational canal paths along the Delaware River, and noise abatement walls will be constructed on roadways adjacent to the bridge.

A southbound all-electronic toll collection system will also be implemented, consisting of high-speed E-Z Pass tag readers and video cameras to identify license plates from non-E-Z Pass customers. There is currently no toll collected on the bridge.

In other words, soon one of the last free crossings in the state is going to become tolled for leaving the state.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on February 24, 2015, 09:57:17 AM
In other words, soon one of the last free crossings in the state is going to become tolled for leaving the state.

Yep.  This bridge has always been a pain in the DRJTBC's side.  It's by far their largest, most used bridge without any tolls.  Motorists certainly take advantage of that.

It has been their plans all along to charge tolls.  The plans though have slowed, as previous timelines showed this bridge should have been under construction, if not completely rebuilt, by now.  As noted above, the current timeline still isn't known.

Zeffy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 24, 2015, 10:49:43 AM

Yep.  This bridge has always been a pain in the DRJTBC's side.  It's by far their largest, most used bridge without any tolls.  Motorists certainly take advantage of that.

It has been their plans all along to charge tolls.  The plans though have slowed, as previous timelines showed this bridge should have been under construction, if not completely rebuilt, by now.  As noted above, the current timeline still isn't known.

Doesn't matter for me - if I'm going into Pennsylvania I usually take either the Trenton Makes or Calhoun Street bridges in Trenton, the Lambertville-New Hope Bridge off of NJ 179 in Lambertville, or the Washington's Crossing bridge off of NJ 29. I barely use the Scudder Falls Bridge. One thing I am interested in the status of however is the reconstruction of the NJ 29 interchange just before the bridge - has there been any news on that?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on February 24, 2015, 11:09:07 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 24, 2015, 10:49:43 AM

Doesn't matter for me - if I'm going into Pennsylvania I usually take either the Trenton Makes or Calhoun Street bridges in Trenton, the Lambertville-New Hope Bridge off of NJ 179 in Lambertville, or the Washington's Crossing bridge off of NJ 29. I barely use the Scudder Falls Bridge. One thing I am interested in the status of however is the reconstruction of the NJ 29 interchange just before the bridge - has there been any news on that?

That's part of the Scudder Falls bridge project.  As the new bridge will be widened by over 100% and will be on a separate footprint, the entire Rt. 29 interchange would need to be rebuilt at that time.

odditude

welp, that's another 18 months (at minimum) until this project starts screwing with my daily commute.

ixnay

Just look at the SLR  SLD and it tells you what NJ designated highways are NJDOT maintained and where and which segments are not!

Where is this SLD?  On NJDOT's website?

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Yes. Look under References/Links. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.