AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Jersey  (Read 588023 times)

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 01:21:41 AM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: New Jersey
« Reply #3100 on: April 07, 2021, 08:54:41 PM »

Actually was curious about the 202 thing. Why is it county maintained north of 53? Just so the state can get it off its books and not pay for the upkeep? Just a curiosity thing as most state highways aren't maintained by non-state agencies except it seems in various cities.
202 was a takeover of county roads. NJDOT has assumed upkeep of various short sections - through the I-80 interchange, for example. They had intended to construct a Lincoln Park bypass along the route of the Morris Canal that would likely have become state maintained and could have led to the entire stretch from I-287 to NJ 23 being taken over, but that never progressed beyond planning (and a boring program that is how I learned of it). My argument has been to route US 202 up to US 46, call the whole southern half US 146, call the whole part west of the Hudson NY 35, and then actually start it somewhere east of there (as far as Springfield MA even).

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 04:21:37 AM
« Reply #3101 on: April 07, 2021, 11:31:42 PM »

NJ 28 in Plainfield is not NJDOT and all numbered routes in Trenton (other than US 1) are not in the state system.
29 and 129 in Trenton are NJDOT.

Forgot about those. Oops!  Anyway, Trenton does a terrible job of signing US 206 and NJ 33 in its city.  I have not been on NJ 31 south of I-295, so I can't say how good or bad Trenton signs it.

For US 202 you can find somewhat adequate signage in Morris County for the road, but no reassurance shields.  If any just a couple, but I doubt it.  Passaic County does sign US 202 somewhat including the cutout at Hamburg Turnpike.  Mountain View does not sign the left turn southbound onto Boonton Turnpike though.  Bergen, from GSV, has a lot to be desired as south of the NJ State Line you get a post intersection SOUTH US 202 shield to the right, but no shield after the turn or at the state line to prepare for the turn.  No shields on the ramps from Route 17 to denote cardinal directions and in Oakland there is a turn that 202 makes that is unsigned completely.

One good thing though, you can find some old 2 digit width shields for US 202 in Wayne and Lincoln Park still in use.  However, in 1988 when I clinched those parts, I found them to not reflect anymore at night so your headlights won't reflect off of them.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 04:21:37 AM
« Reply #3102 on: April 07, 2021, 11:42:52 PM »

Actually was curious about the 202 thing. Why is it county maintained north of 53? Just so the state can get it off its books and not pay for the upkeep? Just a curiosity thing as most state highways aren't maintained by non-state agencies except it seems in various cities.

The state did add mileage signs though on US 202 south of the NJ Transit and Metro North Mainline.  Even though its not their road they list 18 miles to Lincoln Park, 30 miles to Morristown, and 55 miles to Somerville.   Even on US 202 south of Lincoln Park there was one, but last check of GSV the sign supports are still there but the sign itself was gone which listed Morristown as 18 and then Somerville and Lambertville following.

So they have somewhat of control over it to erect those signs there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #3103 on: April 08, 2021, 12:22:28 AM »

NJ 28 in Plainfield is not NJDOT and all numbered routes in Trenton (other than US 1) are not in the state system.

Forgot about those. Oops!  Anyway, Trenton does a terrible job of signing US 206 and NJ 33 in its city.  I have not been on NJ 31 south of I-295, so I can't say how good or bad Trenton signs it.

For US 202 you can find somewhat adequate signage in Morris County for the road, but no reassurance shields.  If any just a couple, but I doubt it.  Passaic County does sign US 202 somewhat including the cutout at Hamburg Turnpike.  Mountain View does not sign the left turn southbound onto Boonton Turnpike though.  Bergen, from GSV, has a lot to be desired as south of the NJ State Line you get a post intersection SOUTH US 202 shield to the right, but no shield after the turn or at the state line to prepare for the turn.  No shields on the ramps from Route 17 to denote cardinal directions and in Oakland there is a turn that 202 makes that is unsigned completely.

One good thing though, you can find some old 2 digit width shields for US 202 in Wayne and Lincoln Park still in use.  However, in 1988 when I clinched those parts, I found them to not reflect anymore at night so your headlights won't reflect off of them.
Morris County has plenty of reassurance shields. Source: I live here, you don't.

famartin

• Last Login: Today at 01:25:53 AM
« Reply #3104 on: April 08, 2021, 08:16:49 AM »

The state did add mileage signs though on US 202 south of the NJ Transit and Metro North Mainline.  Even though its not their road they list 18 miles to Lincoln Park, 30 miles to Morristown, and 55 miles to Somerville.   Even on US 202 south of Lincoln Park there was one, but last check of GSV the sign supports are still there but the sign itself was gone which listed Morristown as 18 and then Somerville and Lambertville following.

Are you sure the county didn't add those mileage signs? 

For a second I thought you meant the new mileposts they installed a couple years ago on all state-maintained highways, which was going to be news to me since I just drove it last summer for the second time PA to NY and the county sections had none.  Which is honestly something the state should rectify.

famartin

• Last Login: Today at 01:25:53 AM
« Reply #3105 on: April 08, 2021, 08:24:29 AM »

31 is not signed much south of the Ewing/Trenton line. There's one or two northbound reassurance signs, and one or two directional signs from 206, but that's it.

As far as 202 not having reassurance signs in Morris County... there are some. The signs here listed as being in Boonton, Lincoln Park, Parsippany are generally the county sections. Could there be a few more?  Sure.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:U.S._Route_202_in_Morris_County,_New_Jersey

Also I did take pics in Passaic and Bergen...
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:U.S._Route_202_in_Passaic_County,_New_Jersey
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:U.S._Route_202_in_Bergen_County,_New_Jersey

Alps

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #3106 on: April 08, 2021, 06:11:40 PM »

Are you sure the county didn't add those mileage signs? 

For a second I thought you meant the new mileposts they installed a couple years ago on all state-maintained highways, which was going to be news to me since I just drove it last summer for the second time PA to NY and the county sections had none.  Which is honestly something the state should rectify.
Those signs may actually be in another brief state section due to the transit center.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.