2014 NYC National Road Meet (June 28-29, 2014)

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 08:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Highly doubtful due to finances, but I will reserve a final decision until the itinerary is posted so I can look at lodging options.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 16, 2014, 08:06:01 AM
The question I have to ask myself is - do I drive or fly?  Seeing as how I abused my car to death last year (odometer from 59k to 80k), I hesitate at using it.  Yeah it's up to 3000 miles including to-and-fro if I include some 'geeking around Long Island or New Jersey, but am considering the fact that NYC is best enjoyed via transit and hot-footing it - and driving the area (in the city and surrounding areas - Steve Correct me if I'm wrong on surrounding areas ;) ) is a roadgeek's nightmare except for early Sunday Morning due to excessive traffic on substandard infrastructure. (I will try to avoid Fort Lee :P )

I say drive it.  figure out a way to write off the miles. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

I'd love to be able to go, and I don't have any conflicts that I know of, but at the rate my job search is going, it's an almost definite no at this point :(
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Takumi

Project car = no out-of-state activities for me.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Sanctimoniously

I would love to attend, but then I would have to then fly from NYC straight to Austin for RTX the next week, so it probably wouldn't work.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

Brandon

I'd like to go to this one.  I'm 50/50 so far, but I think the tolls could be manageable and parking might be cheaper than I originally thought.  If I go, I might try to finally get to Connecticut and Rhode Island.  They're not all that far away.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

froggie

If I'm not otherwise occupied, I may swing down into the city for a day.  But I think we have plans already for that weekend.

Dougtone

I live close enough to where I could go to the meet for one day or possibly a couple of days.

ruffnerr

bulldog1979

I would love to attend this meet for the same basic reason I went to the one in Baltimore a few years ago: I've never been there. However like others, I'll need to figure out details first.

jpi

This is went from 75% going to now up in the air, just found out over the weekend I may be back in PA the middle of July for Steph's high school reunion, have to wait and see.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel
But not for much longer! ;-)

Duke87

Replying to a post from another thread...

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 09, 2014, 08:50:08 AM
Quote from: froggie on November 20, 2013, 08:25:42 AM
Metro-North to Poughkeepsie and the Walkway Over The Hudson?
hmm - a nice thought (I did miss the Poughkeepsie meet held back in (2009).  Are NY commuter trains frequent enough to allow for flexibility? (also I did the plan on MTA's site and it looks like 2 hr one way (1:47 to be exact) and fare of $17 from GCT.) :ded:

That fare and length of trip are correct. It's not a slow train, it's just a long ride - the NYC metro area is big. Driving from Manhattan to Poughkeepsie would take about the same amount of time with no traffic. Bear in mind that it's over 80 miles.

As for schedule flexibility, weekend service on Metro-North is hourly.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

I've done enough planning that I can officially announce the 2014 National Road Meet in New York, NY.* This is the first meet in NYC in quite some time, certainly in the "Era of Large Meets." It will be held on June 28-29 (Saturday-Sunday), 2014. The meet location both days will be on my side of the river in NJ. Saturday's lunch will be at the Edison Diner on US 1 southbound in Edison. Sunday's lunch will be at the Fox & Hound Pub and Grill in Menlo Park Mall, along US 1 south of the Garden State Parkway in Woodbridge. Lunch will start at 11 AM both days.

*What makes this a National Meet? It's 2 days long, with festivities planned each night, and side trips during the days. You're encouraged to stay longer if you're not from the area and explore sights on your own, both road-related and tourism-related. There are more than a few of each!

Right now, I'm still open to suggestions. Read through this and let me know.

Due to the logistics of planning in this area, here are some things to keep in mind:
1) Edison is home to the Metropark rail stop on the Northeast Corridor (and another line or two besides that). Those of you who are traveling by modes other than car can take advantage of that hub location. I, and I'm sure others, will be happy to arrange pickup and dropoff for anyone who can get to the Edison area.
2) The reason to start in NJ for a NY meet is because there are some really cool Hudson River crossings. That said, these crossings cost money - $13 if you don't have E-ZPass. So please remember to bring some cash to chip in!
3) Traffic is unpredictable in NY, to put it mildly. I've tried to minimize freeway mileage to avoid the worst delays, but they could crop up at any time. Bring a GPS, paper map, local roadgeek with you, and if we're late to a stop, we'll play it by ear. May the odds be ever in our favor.
4) Weather: This is happening rain or shine, given the preparations that people will be making so far in advance.

Events:

Friday night reception for those arriving early. My current plan is to host this under the stars (stars = my shield collection). I'll want to confirm a headcount, who needs to stay over, etc. I can do my best to clear a lot of floorspace, but I can't fit 20+ people. If there's that much interest, I'll think of something as we get closer.

Saturday night Staten Island Yankees game - playing the Brooklyn Cyclones. Those who want to attend the game, note that we will be driving over the historic Bayonne Bridge - a beautiful landmark, but also with a $13 toll. Factor that into your ballpark ticket price. I did not see anything saying that the ballpark charges for parking. We'll want to be in as few cars as possible, those going to the game - to be coordinated during the meet.

Saturday and Sunday morning options; other driving tours: There are a few ideas of things people can do in the daylight hours before the meet each day, or at other times during the day if staying in the area. I'm happy to suggest sights of interest that won't be on the tour, either on the NJ or NY side. Do you like route clinching, old signs/bridges, stubs, button copy? Something for everyone!

I'll start taking RSVPs now in this thread. Facebook events: DAY 1 and DAY 2, and I'll take RSVPs there as well. If you're not sure yet, no worries, plenty of time. Please make sure to RSVP separately for:
* Friday night party
* Saturday meet
* SI Yankees game
* Sunday meet

corco

Quote from: Alps on March 19, 2014, 09:41:52 PM
I've done enough planning that I can officially announce the 2014 National Road Meet in New York, NY.* This is the first meet in NYC in quite some time, certainly in the "Era of Large Meets." It will be held on June 28-29 (Saturday-Sunday), 2014. The meet location both days will be on my side of the river in NJ. Saturday's lunch will be at the Edison Diner on US 1 southbound in Edison. Sunday's lunch will be at the Fox & Hound Pub and Grill in Menlo Park Mall, along US 1 south of the Garden State Parkway in Woodbridge. Lunch will start at 11 AM both days.

*What makes this a National Meet? It's 2 days long, with festivities planned each night, and side trips during the days. You're encouraged to stay longer if you're not from the area and explore sights on your own, both road-related and tourism-related. There are more than a few of each!

Right now, I'm still open to suggestions. Read through this and let me know.

Due to the logistics of planning in this area, here are some things to keep in mind:
1) Edison is home to the Metropark rail stop on the Northeast Corridor (and another line or two besides that). Those of you who are traveling by modes other than car can take advantage of that hub location. I, and I'm sure others, will be happy to arrange pickup and dropoff for anyone who can get to the Edison area.
2) The reason to start in NJ for a NY meet is because there are some really cool Hudson River crossings. That said, these crossings cost money - $13 if you don't have E-ZPass. So please remember to bring some cash to chip in!
3) Traffic is unpredictable in NY, to put it mildly. I've tried to minimize freeway mileage to avoid the worst delays, but they could crop up at any time. Bring a GPS, paper map, local roadgeek with you, and if we're late to a stop, we'll play it by ear. May the odds be ever in our favor.
4) Weather: This is happening rain or shine, given the preparations that people will be making so far in advance.

Events:

Friday night reception for those arriving early. My current plan is to host this under the stars (stars = my shield collection). I'll want to confirm a headcount, who needs to stay over, etc. I can do my best to clear a lot of floorspace, but I can't fit 20+ people. If there's that much interest, I'll think of something as we get closer.

Saturday night Staten Island Yankees game - playing the Brooklyn Cyclones. Those who want to attend the game, note that we will be driving over the historic Bayonne Bridge - a beautiful landmark, but also with a $13 toll. Factor that into your ballpark ticket price. I did not see anything saying that the ballpark charges for parking. We'll want to be in as few cars as possible, those going to the game - to be coordinated during the meet.

Saturday and Sunday morning options; other driving tours: There are a few ideas of things people can do in the daylight hours before the meet each day, or at other times during the day if staying in the area. I'm happy to suggest sights of interest that won't be on the tour, either on the NJ or NY side. Do you like route clinching, old signs/bridges, stubs, button copy? Something for everyone!

I'll start taking RSVPs now in this thread. Facebook event to come, and I'll take RSVPs there as well. If you're not sure yet, no worries, plenty of time. Please make sure to RSVP separately for:
* Friday night party
* Saturday meet
* SI Yankees game
* Sunday meet

Count me in for all.

I'll buy plane tickets in early May or so once I figure out if I can afford to tack on a several day driving trip to Quebec at the end of this, or if I'm just flying out and back (probably taking an extra day to explore the city on foot).

Dr Frankenstein

IN! Both days, plus Friday night.

My means of getting there staying are still unknown at the moment. For getting there, it will be either by train, by car or a mix thereof (such as driving to Poughkeepsie then taking the train from there).

Zeffy

I want to attend this, but I have a few snags that might get into the way (rated from highest to lowest priority):

1. Parents. My parents still think I'm 12, and I can barely go down the street without them freaking out on me. I don't even know how they would let me go to NYC with a bunch of strangers (to them), so this is what I'm worried about the most.

2. I think the week of June 23rd I'm supposed to go down to Florida for vacation (FINALLY!). Even better, I get to drive all the way. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to be reschedule that, and I've been looking forward to going back down to my birthplace for a long time now since I got into high school.

3. Well, this may be obvious but transportation is a maybe - that is I might get my own car within the next few months or I might not. I've never used NJTransit before either.

4. Money for toll crossings - I actually think I do have enough if need be.

If I did attend, it would probably be all days except for the baseball game - my attention span won't last that long for me to sit through that in one piece.

Here's hoping #1 and #2 don't fuck up the closest roadmeet to me on such a grand scale!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vdeane

I'm not going to say anything either way yet, but if I get that job I want in Albany, my attendance is some form would be practically guaranteed depending on when I'd start.  My ideal is the Friday night party and both meets.  Saturday meet if for some reason I had to pick one.

I may or may not try to clinch some NYC interstates if there's time around events etc.  I hope to clinch all the NYC area interstates eventually, though I'd have no plans to visit Nassau and Suffolk counties this trip and it's unlikely I'd have the resources for a proper Long Island trip.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

A.J. Bertin

Wow... this will be quite a huge event. I'm about 90 percent sure I will go, and this is all very exciting! (I'll skip the baseball game though.)

Steve - it looks like you've got a lot of ideas and details already thought out. Awesome!
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Zeffy on March 19, 2014, 10:18:32 PM
1. Parents. My parents still think I'm 12, and I can barely go down the street without them freaking out on me. I don't even know how they would let me go to NYC with a bunch of strangers (to them), so this is what I'm worried about the most.

I understand what you mean about this one. (I'm assuming you're 20 years old based on your profile data.) When I was 20, my parents treated me liked I was 12 also. It was ridiculous. I wish you a lot of luck in overcoming this barrier.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

I really, really wanted to go to this when it was first announced.

But finances.

So I'm 99 percent doubtful, but not saying absolutely not.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

I'll be there for sure - Its a subset of a vacation I'm taking to none other than the Big Apple itself (Steve knows this already).  I just so happened to book at a hotel right near the meet venues and across the channel from the ballpark.  Since that is the case - I'm content to jump in the car and go to the restaurants themselves. (I could walk too ;) )  Edison station's closer to the Day 1 venue than Metropark, but Metropark is where you'd get off the train for day 2 if you take the train (who am I to know the neighborhood though - I don't live there ;) I'll be glad to help pick-up and drop off though.  I have an EZ-Pass, but I'm not sure if I'm eligible for the Port Authority's discounts as it's an ISTHA I-PASS - it won't give me discounts on MTA's bridges and tunnels). 

tl:dr; Put me down as in for the whole spiel!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jpi

Right now I am 50\ 50, depends if I am going to Steph's reunion in July, otherwise this would be an easy trip for me VIA staying in Harrisburg, PA Thursday night and Sunday night. Hopefully I can :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel
But not for much longer! ;-)

akotchi

Count me in for both day meets.  I live close enough to be able to drive to and from restaurants, which are along a section of U.S. 1 I've worked on.  Not sure about the Saturday baseball game yet, but would love to if I can.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Zeffy

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 19, 2014, 11:14:53 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on March 19, 2014, 10:18:32 PM

I understand what you mean about this one. (I'm assuming you're 20 years old based on your profile data.) When I was 20, my parents treated me liked I was 12 also. It was ridiculous. I wish you a lot of luck in overcoming this barrier.

Yes, I'm 20, as of January 26th of this year.  :)  I don't understand why parents can be so restrictive - yes, I get it, they care about me, but... isn't it time that I start making my own decisions? I've been cramped up in this apartment since 1998 - I want to see the world, and this is a great time to spend time in NYC, the parts I've never been to and meet a lot of new people.

*sigh* If only it were that easy.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Duke87

Since I'm local, I'm easily in for the whole party. Let's make this epic.

Since I have an EZPass, I assume I will be driving. People riding with me will appreciate the lower reimbursement rate because discounts ($13→$11 for PA, $7.50→$5.33 for MTA). Like NYSTA I will gladly accept both US and Canadian dollars as reimbursement.

If anyone needs picking up/dropping off at various points I can assist if practical. And while it looks like we've got a fairly packed schedule, anyone who wants a local to accompany them on something not covered by either tour is welcome to inquire!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.