AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: New York  (Read 871608 times)

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

• Last Login: Today at 03:04:48 PM
Re: New York
« Reply #4900 on: September 28, 2020, 10:29:49 AM »

Left Lane is For Passing, Not Camping!

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 02:43:19 PM
« Reply #4901 on: September 28, 2020, 10:54:56 AM »

Is there a reason why roads flanking the I-88 corridor (including ramps on I-88) have yield signs in lieu of stop signs? Traffic counts are probably lower since nearly every junction off of I-88 are rural, but this is something that's not replicated in other areas of the state. (IMO, yield signs are underappreciated.)

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: Today at 06:14:21 PM
« Reply #4902 on: September 28, 2020, 08:10:35 PM »

Is there a reason why roads flanking the I-88 corridor (including ramps on I-88) have yield signs in lieu of stop signs? Traffic counts are probably lower since nearly every junction off of I-88 are rural, but this is something that's not replicated in other areas of the state. (IMO, yield signs are underappreciated.)

Good sightlines. NYSDOT will occasionally post yield signs where sightlines are good, particularly in the western part of the state. That being said, sightlines in this state are rarely good enough to meet the Green Book standard for posting a yield sign over a stop sign.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

dkblake

• Last Login: Today at 04:09:41 PM
« Reply #4903 on: September 28, 2020, 10:32:17 PM »

Driving question: I'm driving a cargo van from near Burlington-area to near Buffalo and back later this week- I lived in upstate NY for 7-8 years but never went that particular corridor. Maps are either suggesting taking 8 to 365 to the Thruway or 67 from Malta to Amsterdam.  Anyone have experience with either? I'm thinking about driving 8/365 one way and 67 the other, but not sure if 8 is relatively straight/flat like Route 12 or curvy like, say, Route 3 (which would be not super appealing in a cargo van).

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

• Last Login: Today at 03:04:48 PM
« Reply #4904 on: September 28, 2020, 11:05:53 PM »

Driving question: I'm driving a cargo van from near Burlington-area to near Buffalo and back later this week- I lived in upstate NY for 7-8 years but never went that particular corridor. Maps are either suggesting taking 8 to 365 to the Thruway or 67 from Malta to Amsterdam.  Anyone have experience with either? I'm thinking about driving 8/365 one way and 67 the other, but not sure if 8 is relatively straight/flat like Route 12 or curvy like, say, Route 3 (which would be not super appealing in a cargo van).

You came to the right place!

I've actually done both routes. NY 8 is not a bad road, definitely not as straight/flat as NY 12, but not as curvy as NY 3 either. It's the more scenic route by far, especially now that we're heading into leaf changing season, but it's going to be slower going and not as much opportunity to make up time. NY 67, on the other hand, is quite a nice road outside of Amsterdam, making it the preferred shortcut between I-87 and I-90. I've also taken NY 29 to NY 30A, but once was enough for that route. I'd vastly prefer NY 67: It's shorter, higher-quality road, fewer slowdowns, and fewer trucks. Just make sure to use Malta Ave/US 9 to connect to/from I-87.
Left Lane is For Passing, Not Camping!

lstone19

• Last Login: September 28, 2020, 11:38:10 PM
« Reply #4905 on: September 28, 2020, 11:33:49 PM »

You came to the right place!

I've actually done both routes. NY 8 is not a bad road, definitely not as straight/flat as NY 12, but not as curvy as NY 3 either. It's the more scenic route by far, especially now that we're heading into leaf changing season, but it's going to be slower going and not as much opportunity to make up time. NY 67, on the other hand, is quite a nice road outside of Amsterdam, making it the preferred shortcut between I-87 and I-90. I've also taken NY 29 to NY 30A, but once was enough for that route. I'd vastly prefer NY 67: It's shorter, higher-quality road, fewer slowdowns, and fewer trucks. Just make sure to use Malta Ave/US 9 to connect to/from I-87.
My mother grew up in Ballston Spa which you will pass through using 67 so 67 has always been my go-to route between the Northway and the Thruway and I know all the roads. With a car, Id go I-87 to Exit 13, north on US 9 to Old Post Road and then west until it ends at Malta Ave. (with the van, south on US 9 to Malta Ave. will be better but slightly longer). Reaching Ballston Spa, left on Hyde Blvd. to East High Street, then right (and past the house my mother grew up in). East High St. then becomes NY 67 as you reach the middle of Ballston Spa. 67 will become a little curvy approaching Amsterdam and Amsterdam is always a pain to get through but its a good way to go.

iPad

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.