AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Poll

Which one?

New Hampshire
- 2 (3.3%)
Maine
- 3 (4.9%)
Massachusetts
- 3 (4.9%)
New York
- 8 (13.1%)
New Jersey
- 23 (37.7%)
Pennsylvania
- 14 (23%)
Connecticut
- 8 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Favorite turnpike system in the Northeast?  (Read 2334 times)

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 01:48:41 AM
Re: Favorite turnpike system in the Northeast?
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2020, 01:33:35 PM »

To be fair, it can seem more like a freeway with a toll bridge as opposed to a turnpike (there used to be ramp tolls, I believe), but the 2 service plazas are still a turnpike feature.
That $8 toll bridge going northbound is what hits. Granted, while it's only for the bridge, it "technically" covers the entire 60+ mile Turnpike.
Still cheaper than most of the bridges of New York City.

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 08:17:12 PM
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2020, 01:43:53 PM »

For that matter, western NY and western PA are more "Old Northwest" or whatever term you would use for Ohio.

Probably "Rust Belt"?
Left Lane is For Passing, Not Camping!

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 12:29:53 AM
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »

Does Maryland count? It's not a turnpike, and it's arguably not in the Northeast.

Maryland is certainly in the northeast. I consider it the northeast up to the Potomac River. As for I-95, I think the only toll is the Susquehanna River Bridge, heading north.
No.  No, it is not.  It is even below the Mason-Dixon Line.  It definitely has a more southern feel.

It's in the Mid-Atlantic, along with PA.

Northeast is NY and New England.

Northern NJ is Northeast, southern NJ is Mid-Atlantic. For that matter, western NY and western PA are more "Old Northwest" or whatever term you would use for Ohio. Regional lines don't follow state boundaries.

All of NJ is Northeast.

PA is Northeast.

Mid-Atlantic is kinda like Central NJ. It exists only because there's too much disagreement if the states, generally DE, MD and VA, are northeast or southeast states.

Gnutella

• Last Login: July 05, 2020, 11:32:28 PM
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2020, 07:04:36 PM »

Does Maryland count? It's not a turnpike, and it's arguably not in the Northeast.

Maryland is certainly in the northeast. I consider it the northeast up to the Potomac River. As for I-95, I think the only toll is the Susquehanna River Bridge, heading north.
No.  No, it is not.  It is even below the Mason-Dixon Line.  It definitely has a more southern feel.

It's in the Mid-Atlantic, along with PA.

Northeast is NY and New England.

Northern NJ is Northeast, southern NJ is Mid-Atlantic. For that matter, western NY and western PA are more "Old Northwest" or whatever term you would use for Ohio. Regional lines don't follow state boundaries.

Western Pennsylvania was never part of the Northwest Territory. In fact, the Mason-Dixon survey placed Pittsburgh firmly in Pennsylvania by 1780, during the American Revolution. This idea that everything west of I-81 is part of the Midwest is absurd, especially when you consider that Pittsburgh is a) longitudinally east of the entire state of Florida, and b) closer to New York City than Chicago, both in a straight line and by vehicle. There's nothing "mid-" about that at all. Western Pennsylvania and western New York are interior Northeast. In fact, you can probably include Vermont as well, since it has no coastline. If the South and the West can have interior regions, then so can the Northeast, pop/soda line be damned.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: Today at 01:21:16 AM
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »

All of NJ is Northeast.

PA is Northeast.

Mid-Atlantic is kinda like Central NJ. It exists only because there's too much disagreement if the states, generally DE, MD and VA, are northeast or southeast states.

In political terms, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia are all now Northeast states, and I do not see that changing, even if a majority of the counties of Maryland and Virginia are red or deep-red. 

The counties with the large populations are either purple or light blue or deep blue, and so go the states.

Culturally, there are large parts of all three states that are Southern (I suppose in Delaware that means Sussex County).

Moderate Republicans can win in these states, as Maryland's Gov. Larry Hogan Jr. (R) demonstrates.  But I think even in Virginia, hard-right GOP candidates have no chance statewide.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:40:45 PM by cpzilliacus »
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 09:37:52 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2020, 08:58:57 PM »

All of NJ is Northeast.

PA is Northeast.

In political terms, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia are all now Northeast states, and I do not see that changing, even of a majority of the counties of Maryland and Virginia are red or deep-red. 

The counties with the large populations are either purple or light blue or deep blue, and so go the states.

Culturally, there are large parts of all three states that are Southern (I suppose in Delaware that means Sussex County).

Moderate Republicans can win in these states, as Maryland's Gov. Larry Hogan Jr. (R) demonstrates.  But I think even in Virginia, hard-right GOP candidates have no chance statewide.

While I mostly agree, what region is the I-88 corridor in New York part of? It's a red area except when there's a popular incumbent, but I can't imagine it being considered anything that's not the Northeast.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒘1⒚12⒎14⒈159
NH 27,38,111A(E),128; CA133; NY366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: Today at 01:26:41 AM
    • old interstate plans
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2020, 09:17:20 PM »

All of NJ is Northeast.

PA is Northeast.

In political terms, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia are all now Northeast states, and I do not see that changing, even of a majority of the counties of Maryland and Virginia are red or deep-red. 

While I mostly agree, what region is the I-88 corridor in New York part of? It's a red area except when there's a popular incumbent, but I can't imagine it being considered anything that's not the Northeast.
The Northeast.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

New Interstate plans:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?mid=1iR-EhsnAaBtsadqOPdZqMTHr17bKjNlB&ll=45.48421495543849%2C-76.02345977441325&z=7

CapeCodder

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 05:05:51 PM
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2020, 09:46:38 PM »

PA. Yes, the road is insanely long, but the service plazas are nice. Sideling Hill is my favorite one. Cleanest Burger King I've eaten at. The view of the mountain is stunning.

Roadrunner75

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 11:21:10 PM
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2020, 11:09:44 PM »

The PA turnpike serves its purpose and I respect its historical significance, but it drives me crazy with a bad combination of an incredibly boring ride at high speeds on a narrow roadway with lots of truck traffic - at least the eastern half which I drive every so often to visit family.  They can't widen it soon enough.

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 12:03:52 AM
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2020, 01:06:25 AM »

I hate them all. Shunpiking is cool.

Rothman

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 07:00:26 PM
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2020, 10:20:47 AM »

I think it's silly to associate Dems with the Northeast and therefore shove MD into the Northeast per that idea.

The cultural and ecological differences are many between MD and MA, for example.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: Today at 01:26:41 AM
    • old interstate plans
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2020, 10:38:06 AM »

I think it's silly to associate Dems with the Northeast and therefore shove MD into the Northeast per that idea.

The cultural and ecological differences are many between MD and MA, for example.
If we use politics, then parts of upstate NY would be in the deep south and Miami would be in the northeast.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

New Interstate plans:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?mid=1iR-EhsnAaBtsadqOPdZqMTHr17bKjNlB&ll=45.48421495543849%2C-76.02345977441325&z=7

Rothman

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 07:00:26 PM
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2020, 01:26:48 PM »

If we use politics, then parts of upstate NY would be in the deep south and Miami would be in the northeast.
Precisely why it's absurd to do so.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 08:17:12 PM
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2020, 01:54:13 PM »

Not that Upstate NY is really comparable to the Deep South.  :-D
Midwest, maybe, but not south.
Left Lane is For Passing, Not Camping!

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 05:21:46 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2020, 02:37:41 PM »

Been on all of them except Maine. Voted for New Jersey, mostly for the unique signage that's mostly a distant memory now.

Gnutella

• Last Login: July 05, 2020, 11:32:28 PM
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2020, 06:12:33 AM »

The PA turnpike serves its purpose and I respect its historical significance, but it drives me crazy with a bad combination of an incredibly boring ride at high speeds on a narrow roadway with lots of truck traffic - at least the eastern half which I drive every so often to visit family.  They can't widen it soon enough.

The upgraded six-lane segments of the Pennsylvania Turnpike are excellent, though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.