AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The next trivia night will be held this Wednesday, February 19th at 8:30 PM EST (that's 6:30 PM MST).  To participate enter the Chat. 

Author Topic: Corridor H  (Read 354470 times)

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: January 18, 2020, 07:27:34 PM
    • Millennium Highway
Re: Corridor H
« Reply #1150 on: January 17, 2020, 11:16:36 AM »

What's the status of WV's construction from the current end of the four-lane eastward toward the state line? Be nice to eliminate that 25 mph speed trap in downtown Wardensville.

I saw something in some news coverage about the Corridor Q (US 460) construction that indicated portions of that route between the state line and Grundy would be built as an improved two-lane with truck lanes on the grades (a surface super-2). Wonder if that couldn't become an option for the Virginia portion of Corridor H?

tjcreasy

• Last Login: Today at 12:53:03 PM
« Reply #1151 on: January 17, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »

Guys letís just be honest. Thereís no way in h*** any county/city in VA would want to move to WV. You can throw corridor H on the same pile as I-73, I-74, and I-87 none of these will be built within the next 20-30 years. Each route will start as soon as you cross the state line. Each State should have had a cooperative agreement with Virginia before their respective sections were started.

The only new interstate (or Appalachian Development Highway) youíll see in VA within the next 10 years is I-785.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:40:49 PM by tjcreasy »

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:00:15 PM
« Reply #1152 on: January 17, 2020, 03:58:51 PM »

Each route will start as soon as you cross the state line. Each State should have a cooperative agreement with Virginia before their respective sections were started
North Carolina has already said they will not be upgrading US-220 to interstate standards north of NC-68 until Virginia begins their portion near Martinsville, such as the Martinsville Southern Connector project extending the US-220 freeway to the state line.

NC-68 will likely be the northern terminus of I-73 for quite awhile.

Likewise, they will not construct I-73 south of the Rockingham Bypass until South Carolina begins their portion. The under construction Rockingham Bypass is likely the last I-73 segment to be completed for quite awhile as it will finish the interstate throughout the state with the exception of those connecting pieces mentioned above.

As for I-87, the state does plan to complete the interstate to the state line, potentially beginning around 2027. What Virginia does with their segment... who knows. The 12 mile US-17 segment in Virginia is currently under study and is one of the candidate projects for the 2045 LRTP in Hampton Roads... but thatís about it. Until the segment between the Elizabeth City Bypass and the state line is built, there will probably be nothing done in Virginia.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:04:02 PM by sprjus4 »

tjcreasy

« Reply #1153 on: January 17, 2020, 05:40:06 PM »

Yeah thatís the point of my post @sprjus4.

sprjus4

« Reply #1154 on: January 17, 2020, 05:44:34 PM »

Yeah thatís the point of my post @sprjus4.
My post was more geared at the fact I-73 won't be extended all the way to the Virginia state line until we build our part.

tjcreasy

« Reply #1155 on: January 17, 2020, 06:01:17 PM »

I get your point. To me that remaining 20 miles already has interchanges at every major intersection and zero stop lights at the remaining at-grade intersections. Many sections only require widened shoulders to meet interstate standards. Itís smooth sailing from the NC State Line all the way to Rockingham. That limited access section will be more than adequate for the next 30+ years.

sprjus4

« Reply #1156 on: January 17, 2020, 06:07:16 PM »

I get your point. To me that remaining 20 miles already has interchanges at every major intersection and zero stop lights at the remaining at-grade intersections. Many sections only require widened shoulders to meet interstate standards. Itís smooth sailing from the NC State Line all the way to Rockingham. That limited access section will be more than adequate for the next 30+ years.
Once I-73 is constructed in Virginia (if ever) and North Carolina upgrades that segment, work will likely involve replacing most if not all of the bridges, as they're all 60s design, old, substandard, structurally deficient and have inadequate vertical clearances, along with expanding the interchanges to meet modern design standards. The few at-grade access points will be closed and frontage roads constructed to provide access, the shoulders widened to 10 feet, and the speed limit increased to 70 mph.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.