AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Berkeley Springs (US 522) Bypass  (Read 473 times)

MASTERNC

• Last Login: Today at 08:46:23 PM
Berkeley Springs (US 522) Bypass
« on: March 02, 2019, 04:48:03 PM »

This has been talked about for decades but sounds like it is finally getting traction (hopefully). Construction is one-third funded (with a Federal grant) and would start next year, with completion in 2022.  It's definitely needed given the amount of traffic trying to cut from I-68/I-70 to I-81 in Virginia.

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news/tri_state/west_virginia/berkeley-springs-bypass-meeting-scheduled-for-thursday/article_ef239cf9-3575-51c7-9477-d37c116a0591.html

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 10:17:48 PM
Re: Berkeley Springs (US 522) Bypass
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »

This has been talked about for decades but sounds like it is finally getting traction (hopefully). Construction is one-third funded (with a Federal grant) and would start next year, with completion in 2022.  It's definitely needed given the amount of traffic trying to cut from I-68/I-70 to I-81 in Virginia.

Any mapping of alignment alternatives yet?
Scott M. Savage
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

John Tarver per TWA 800 in 2001 in alt.disasters.aviation
"The flight crew was electricuted by the electrical fault of 140 ampres of three phase under the flight deck floor."

hbelkins

• A sense of humor is a wonderful thing. Get one.

• Last Login: Today at 02:46:40 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 05:47:33 PM »

I saw a map posted somewhere when news of WV's BUILD grant was first awarded. The route will run to the east of downtown Berkeley Springs, which is logical because there's a big honking mountain immediately west of downtown that WV 9 climbs/descends.

plain

• Last Login: Today at 01:56:24 PM
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 06:03:19 PM »

Finally. Now all that's needed is a parallel span across the Potomac/tracks/local streets. I wonder what would something like this cost about 4 or 5 years from now?
Newark born, Richmond bred

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 09:06:29 PM
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 08:16:21 PM »

https://www.morganmessenger.com/2018/12/06/berkeley-springs-bypass-gets-20-million-in-federal-funding/
The bypass would be a four-lane divided highway with at least 2 interchanges. The rest of the intersections will be at-grade, a design similar to other Corridor projects in West Virginia.

The project would cost an estimated $64 million total for 4 miles of new divided roadway (only about $16 million per mile?)

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 09:30:09 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 10:03:06 PM »

http://transportation.wv.gov/highways/engineering/comment/BerkeleySpringsBypass/Pages/default.aspx

They'd completed the NEPA process with an approved bypass alignment 15-20ish years ago...I recall this from the time.  Looks like they're currently going through NEPA reevaluation.

Worth noting that, since last year (the time of the map sprjus posted), the endpoints have been changed to either T-intersection or roundabout options, the 2nd intersection south of WV 9 has been eliminated, and the ramps at CR 13 (near the south end) have been deferred to the future.

sprjus4

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 10:23:31 PM »

Worth noting that, since last year (the time of the map sprjus posted), the endpoints have been changed to either T-intersection or roundabout options
I think this is a mistake in the long run. The only reason it was done is because locals were afraid if you were directed on the bypass, business would be lost in town. IMHO, any bypass should have continuity, and not require you to turn onto it. For a long distance traveler, this is extremely beneficial. If US 501 is ever widened in the future to 4 lanes, directing 4-lane highway traffic onto a 4-lane bypass as opposed to, turn right to stay on a 65 MPH four-lane highway, or go straight (the expected movement for thru traffic) to continue into a 2-lane 25 MPH road through town.

Bottom line, if someone wants to do business in town, they'll go into town. If they just want to get through, they're not going to stop. Projects like these need local input, but a design change in this manner should not be done just because of local opposition that don't have a care for keeping the flow of thru-traffic going.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: Today at 04:56:01 PM
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 12:17:58 PM »

Worth noting that, since last year (the time of the map sprjus posted), the endpoints have been changed to either T-intersection or roundabout options
I think this is a mistake in the long run. The only reason it was done is because locals were afraid if you were directed on the bypass, business would be lost in town. IMHO, any bypass should have continuity, and not require you to turn onto it. For a long distance traveler, this is extremely beneficial. If US 501 is ever widened in the future to 4 lanes, directing 4-lane highway traffic onto a 4-lane bypass as opposed to, turn right to stay on a 65 MPH four-lane highway, or go straight (the expected movement for thru traffic) to continue into a 2-lane 25 MPH road through town.

Bottom line, if someone wants to do business in town, they'll go into town. If they just want to get through, they're not going to stop. Projects like these need local input, but a design change in this manner should not be done just because of local opposition that don't have a care for keeping the flow of thru-traffic going.

Frankly, I think most of the businesses in Berkeley Springs would be perfectly happy to have through traffic bypass town. US 522 traffic chokes the town and makes it hard for people who actually want to go there to do so during warmer weather months.

I suspect a lot of the change is WVDOH trying to cheap out and not wanting to realign the roadway when they do eventually intend to relocate the rest of US 522 on a new alignment.

sprjus4

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 12:42:23 PM »

I suspect a lot of the change is WVDOH trying to cheap out and not wanting to realign the roadway when they do eventually intend to relocate the rest of US 522 on a new alignment.
Well, if a four-lane widening for the rest of US 522 would be relocated rather than widening the existing road, then by all means, the existing design would work for the time being, IF the bypass would be extended in the future.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 06:45:13 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 12:47:22 PM »

Well, if a four-lane widening for the rest of US 522 would be relocated rather than widening the existing road, then by all means, the existing design would work for the time being, IF the bypass would be extended in the future.
If they go that route, I would like to recommend them to leave some nice paved stubs, just like PA and its freeways.

sprjus4

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 01:19:58 PM »

http://transportation.wv.gov/highways/engineering/comment/BerkeleySpringsBypass/Documents/handout.pdf

Looking at the link froggie posted previously, I realized the first page does indicate...
The US 522 project consists of a four-lane roadway on a new alignment from the Virginia/West Virginia state line to the Maryland state line for a distance of approximately 19 miles. The Berkeley Springs Bypass portion of the US 522 project will be the first segment to be constructed.

Completion of a 19 mile relocation in West Virginia would result in a mostly 4-lane corridor (with the exception of Maryland's 1 mile section) between I-81 and I-70 / I-68 in Maryland. It'd be interesting to see a bi-state buildout, with Maryland widening their portion into a 4-lane freeway (which would be a complicated build due to the existing footprint), building a new 4-lane Potomac River Bridge, and completely rebuilding the interchange with I-70 / I-68.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 06:45:13 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 02:27:38 PM »

http://transportation.wv.gov/highways/engineering/comment/BerkeleySpringsBypass/Documents/handout.pdf

Looking at the link froggie posted previously, I realized the first page does indicate...
The US 522 project consists of a four-lane roadway on a new alignment from the Virginia/West Virginia state line to the Maryland state line for a distance of approximately 19 miles. The Berkeley Springs Bypass portion of the US 522 project will be the first segment to be constructed.

Completion of a 19 mile relocation in West Virginia would result in a mostly 4-lane corridor (with the exception of Maryland's 1 mile section) between I-81 and I-70 / I-68 in Maryland. It'd be interesting to see a bi-state buildout, with Maryland widening their portion into a 4-lane freeway (which would be a complicated build due to the existing footprint), building a new 4-lane Potomac River Bridge, and completely rebuilding the interchange with I-70 / I-68.
Maryland would probably have to widen in-line since there is little room to go on a new alignment, but there appears to be enough to do it with a few driveway closures/relocations and maybe acquiring 1-2 properties. It's already 4 lanes approaching I-70, though those are auxiliary lanes. In that regard, I don't see an immediate need to rebuild the I-70 interchange. Yes, it's suboptimal, but it's fully directional at least.

epzik8

• Alive Since Ninety-Five

• Last Login: March 17, 2019, 11:18:43 AM
    • The Epzik8 Roadpage
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 10:38:34 AM »

That’s very interesting.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

Washington Capitals, 2018 Stanley Cup CHAMPIONS!!!

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.