News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: mrsman on July 08, 2015, 09:47:15 PMIt sounds like what you are describing is an all-pedestrian phase, or a Barnes Dance.  Essentially, the signal has 3 phases: N-S, E-W, and pedestrian.  If the pedestrians have right of way, all drivers including right turns must stop.  But if cross-traffic has right  of way, then right on red is permitted.

I've not seen this implemented the way Marblehead does.  But I have seen electronic "No turn on red" signs that light up during the pedestrian phase of a Barnes Dance.
What Marblehead did was essentially act on the cheap & quick to accomplish such.  Erecting simple signs (made by the town's public works department) takes less time than installing and rewiring for electronic signs that may require a permit from the state (the signal replacement was a MassDPW installation).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

D-Dey65

Right now I can't seem to find the thread on this, but for a long time I've been surprised that the pre-1971 "Keep Right" signs were still considered MUTCD compliant. Here's one under Simpson Street Subway station in the South Bronx.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Old-fashioned_Keep_Right_sign_under_Simpson_Street_Subway_Station.JPG

When I first saw the symbolic one in that Reader's Digest article from 1971, I was under the impression that the older Keep Right signs would be completely replaced. So for years I've been surprised when I see states, cities, counties, towns, and villages still using them.

D-Dey65

Quote from: NYhwyfan on July 07, 2015, 09:24:30 PM
square No Outlet sign

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9138,-75.302754,3a,75y,230.03h,65.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slMjuJtgVIcSH3EEUfvTYnA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
Isn't something like this normally added as a supplement for Dead End signs?

Did you know that right up until at least the 1990's I remember seeing Dead End over No Outlet signs in the same diamond at the intersections of some of the dead end streets along Roanoke Avenue in Riverhead, New York?

Big John

Dead End means the road will end with no other road connecting with it.  No Outlet means there still is a network of roads ahead but no other access point.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Big John on July 09, 2015, 02:44:52 PM
Dead End means the road will end with no other road connecting with it.  No Outlet means there still is a network of roads ahead but no other access point.
Not true in this case.  Franklin Way has no intersecting roadways.  PA (at least southeastern PA) uses NO OUTLET signs in situations where other states (MA being one of them) uses DEAD END signs.

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 09, 2015, 02:18:40 PM
Right now I can't seem to find the thread on this, but for a long time I've been surprised that the pre-1971 "Keep Right" signs were still considered MUTCD compliant. Here's one under Simpson Street Subway station in the South Bronx.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Old-fashioned_Keep_Right_sign_under_Simpson_Street_Subway_Station.JPG

When I first saw the symbolic one in that Reader's Digest article from 1971, I was under the impression that the older Keep Right signs would be completely replaced. So for years I've been surprised when I see states, cities, counties, towns, and villages still using them.
Marblehead, MA still uses them.

So does neighboring Swampscott, MA.

Here's a bonus, further east on Atlantic Ave.; a surviving old MA 129 shield from probably the 1960s.  For many years, during the 70s, this particular shield used to face the opposite direction.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

thenetwork

Quote from: Big John on July 09, 2015, 02:44:52 PM

In places where I lived, that is mostly true, but if a single road is marked as a Dead End, it means there is usually no large area -- or cul-de-sac -- at the end to turn around in. A No Outlet sign for a single street has some sort of space at the end in which to turn around without using people's driveways.  The Dead End vs. No Outlet designation is more important to trucks and larger vehicles than cars.

jakeroot

Never liked the "dead end" sign. I think Canada's version make more sense without trying to be funny (the term "dead end" just sounds ridiculous to me):

vtk

Quote from: jakeroot on July 09, 2015, 07:55:38 PM
Never liked the "dead end" sign. I think Canada's version make more sense without trying to be funny (the term "dead end" just sounds ridiculous to me):

Yes but the reason a dead end warrants a warning sign in the first place is there isn't room at the end to perform the maneuver shown on your example sign.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jakeroot

Quote from: vtk on July 09, 2015, 08:17:38 PM

Yes but the reason a dead end warrants a warning sign in the first place is there isn't room at the end to perform the maneuver shown on your example sign.

Well, then Washington mis-uses dead-end signs a lot.

kkt

Places I'm familiar with, if there's no room to turn around it's "blind street".  If there's room to turn around, either a circle like on the sign or a 3-point turn, it's "dead end".  If there are several streets but no way out of the subdivision but the way you're about to go in, it's "no outlet".

bassoon1986

Here's a couple from some travels the past few months. This I-10 shield is in Metairie, LA along US 61 I think just before Williams Blvd (LA 49)

Why the long face US 71? This is Bunkie, LA at LA 29.

riiga

You could use the European sign then, or a modified version of it on a warning sign.

luokou

Quote from: bassoon1986 on July 09, 2015, 08:59:56 PM
Here's a couple from some travels the past few months. This I-10 shield is in Metairie, LA along US 61 I think just before Williams Blvd (LA 49)

Reminds me of this I-205 shield with ridiculously small numerals:

https://goo.gl/maps/n5DM1

Zeffy

Spotted in Philadelphia, I present to you - the CONSTRUCTION APL with negative contrast Clearview, and not one control city for I-95:

I mean come on, both Wilmington and Baltimore would've worked for control cities instead of that obnoxious orange space.

And then there was this, spotted in Maryland right before the bullshit toll over the Susquehanna River:

White on black was usually used for older signs, and this one has Clearview.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jakeroot

IMO, faulting signs should be limited to permanent installations. I have some leeway with construction signs.

Tom958

Lately Georgia is having a hard time deciding whether exit only tabs should have black borders or white. Apparently "both" is another option...

SignGeek101

Quote from: Tom958 on July 13, 2015, 12:57:19 AM
Lately Georgia is having a hard time deciding whether exit only tabs should have black borders or white. Apparently "both" is another option...

Not centred either. Looks pretty lazy to me. Also, even though Ontario (and other jurisdictions) do this, I'm not a fan of putting up "exit only" at the gore point.  The left lane of the exit lane is not "exit only" until, of course where it actually splits off the highway.

odditude

Quote from: Zeffy on July 12, 2015, 05:42:41 PM
Spotted in Philadelphia, I present to you - the CONSTRUCTION APL with negative contrast Clearview, and not one control city for I-95:

(snipped image)

I mean come on, both Wilmington and Baltimore would've worked for control cities instead of that obnoxious orange space.
the original sign that this replaced had "Philadelphia (or Phila) Int'l Airport" covered in greenout.

roadfro

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 13, 2015, 01:33:53 AM

Not centred either. Looks pretty lazy to me. Also, even though Ontario (and other jurisdictions) do this, I'm not a fan of putting up "exit only" at the gore point.  The left lane of the exit lane is not "exit only" until, of course where it actually splits off the highway.

You can thank the 2009 MUTCD for that. This is the new standard for multi-lane exits with option lanes: no white-on-green down arrow over the option lanes on the advance sign, exit only arrow design on sign at the exit (with the sign moved beyond the gore point instead of at it).

I'm not a fan either. I could live with no down arrow on the advance signage, if we could just keep the old white-on-green arrow over the option lane at the exit.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

PHLBOS

Quote from: odditude on July 13, 2015, 01:54:40 AM

(snipped image)

the original sign that this replaced had "Philadelphia (or Phila) Int'l Airport" covered in greenout.
It had a Philadelphia Int'l Airport listing via 2-lines.  For some reason, a few years after the BGS' were erected, the destination was greened-out.   Similar green-out treatment (IIRC for the Sports Complex) was done on supplemental signage along I-76 East prior to I-676.  It's almost as if PennDOT or the city wanted to give motorists the option of using I-676 as a means of getting to the airport or sports complex from the northeast or northwest.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Eth

"Here's a blank sign, and everything that needs to go on it. It's your job to figure out where everything goes. You have 15 seconds. Go!"  :ded:

jeffandnicole

Maryland ignores Philadelphia.  You're lucky PennDOT didn't urge the the sign company to write "Baltimore can suck it" as a control city.

Ian

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 14, 2015, 06:36:21 AM
Maryland ignores Philadelphia.  You're lucky PennDOT didn't urge the the sign company to write "Baltimore can suck it" as a control city.

It would be even better if PennDOT just put "Washington."
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jeffandnicole

While this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/Bng2Y in itself isn't unusual, the location defining it as a 'residential' area is.  https://goo.gl/maps/BrfPu

Plus, it's a bit small and low for most truckers.

odditude

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 17, 2015, 02:19:00 PM
While this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/Bng2Y in itself isn't unusual, the location defining it as a 'residential' area is.  https://goo.gl/maps/BrfPu

Plus, it's a bit small and low for most truckers.
US 1 immediately passes by several residential complexes after going over NJ 29 - it's not inappropriate here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.