News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most needed Interstate or Interstate extension

Started by ibthebigd, February 01, 2020, 06:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 08, 2020, 03:12:21 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 08, 2020, 12:46:04 AM
What if I-67 became a reality of a freeway upgrade of U.S. 31 between Indianapolis and South Bend? Heck, I would extend it up to Grand Rapids via all of I-196!
I've also heard of proposals for extending I-67 down I-69, US 231, and I-165 to Bowling Green.

The entire purpose of which, a few rumblings from Jasper and Huntingsburg notwithstanding, was intended to put Owensboro, KY on a trunk Interstate -- a plan fomented by a couple of ambitious mayors of that city.  Now that I-165 is at Owensboro's doorstep, the whole concept has been "back-burnered", if not dropped altogether. 

silveradoman298

I think finishing the Coalfields Expressway / (I-73) would do great things to help spur development needed to stem the vanishing coal industry. It would also more directly connect the Midwest to the Southeast with an interstate that could improve travel times and perhaps reduce traffic flow on I-75, I-77 & I-81, potentially reducing the need for costly future expansions on those interstates.
"Call me a prisoner of the highway
Driven on by my restless soul
I'm a prisoner of the highway
Imprisoned by the freedom of the road"

sparker

Quote from: silveradoman298 on February 13, 2020, 06:53:33 PM
I think finishing the Coalfields Expressway / (I-73) would do great things to help spur development needed to stem the vanishing coal industry. It would also more directly connect the Midwest to the Southeast with an interstate that could improve travel times and perhaps reduce traffic flow on I-75, I-77 & I-81, potentially reducing the need for costly future expansions on those interstates.

The Coalfields Expressway, between Beckley, WV and US 23 near Pound, VA is slated to be designated US 121.  The now-dormant "King Coal" highway, paralleling US 52 along the west and SW border of WV, was supposed to be co-designated as I-73 & I-74.  The two corridors are functionally perpendicular to each other, crossing near Welch, WV.  The main difference is that significant work has been done on the Coalfields, in contrast to a few tentative miles of the King Coal (and its northern extension, the Toilsa expressway).  Nevertheless, it's still a long way from completion -- still, that's much more promising than the prospects for ever completing the King Coal corridor.   

OCGuy81

It might be cool to see I-35 as the second interstate to connect the Canadian and Mexican border. Yes yes ....I 69 will do that someday, maybe when I'm in my 80s

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 19, 2020, 12:09:14 PM
It might be cool to see I-35 as the second interstate to connect the Canadian and Mexican border. Yes yes ....I 69 will do that someday, maybe when I'm in my 80s

But hardly a "most needed" - there's not even a need for a 4-lane US 53 north of Cook, MN where the current expressway ends. Plus International Falls is dying and there's nothing in Canada that needs that.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

texaskdog

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 19, 2020, 12:39:53 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 19, 2020, 12:09:14 PM
It might be cool to see I-35 as the second interstate to connect the Canadian and Mexican border. Yes yes ....I 69 will do that someday, maybe when I’m in my 80s

But hardly a "most needed" - there's not even a need for a 4-lane US 53 north of Cook, MN where the current expressway ends. Plus International Falls is dying and there's nothing in Canada that needs that.

Sadly I agree.  That 4 lane will be sufficient forever

Finrod

Georgia desperately needs at least one (arguably more than that) expressway that doesn't go to or point towards Atlanta, other than I-95.  Unfortunately there aren't even any plans for any that I know of, since the horribly malnumbered I-3 idea got shot down.  )-:
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.