News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: Big John on August 17, 2013, 12:17:38 PM
I was taught that if you want to make a possessive of a word already ending with an "s", such as a plural, name, etc., you add only an apostrophe at the end of the word without adding another "s".
If it's a plural, yes. If it's a singular such as a name, goat.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mgk920

I agree - never, but NEVER put apostrophe's into your plural's!!!

George = one George
Georges = more than one George
George's = something that belongs to George
Georges' = something that belongs to the above group of Georges.

(exception: the pronoun its = something that belongs to it, this to differentiate that instance from the one below)

Also, contractions:
Don't = Do not
Can't = Can not
You're = You are
It's = It is
etc.

There is, of course, more to this, but this is the bare basic of the apostrophe.

:nod:

Mike

Scott5114

I would like to direct you all to the newly-updated forum rules, which state that commenting on another user's grammar and spelling is no longer allowed. If it is so poor that the post cannot be understood, we will deal with it for you. Otherwise, let it go.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: mgk920 on August 17, 2013, 01:23:35 PM(exception: the pronoun its = something that belongs to it, this to differentiate that instance from the one below)

Which, of course, follows the rule that possessive forms of pronouns do not get apostrophes:

his
hers
ours
theirs
its

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hotdogPi

You don't allow yourself to sleep when you are a passenger, but you are somewhere you haven't been before, even if you are extremely tired.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

wxfree

Since this is the Off-Topic forum and grammar is being discussed, I'll mention that I am a bit of a grammar nerd (I have many near-obsessive interests, so I guess I'm just a nerd overall).

My view is that the rules are good places to start, and it's good to seek to follow them.  What bothers me isn't when rules are broken, but is when they're broken out of ignorance.  I have no problem breaking rules when I'm trying to say a certain thing a certain way.  I'll split infinitives and start with conjunctions and end with prepositions when I intend for it to mean something.  To me, rules are meant to be understood, not to be followed rigidly.  It's the breaking of rules due to ignorance that bothers me.

Add-on:  It bothers me that my (cheap) cell phone doesn't have a semicolon for text messages (I use a comma instead).  It bothers me more that no one ever corrects me for using the wrong punctuation.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

wxfree

And back on topic

If... You count the weeks till the next Texas Transportation Commission or Regional Transportation Council meeting agenda is put online.
You watch the videos of the meetings with great interest, even the long and (sometimes very) tedious parts.
You check the FTP system three or four times each week for new construction or maintenance project files.
You use a GPS just to see how far it is to the next town in a very rural area, and routinely ignore its directions because you prefer back roads.
You divide your year not by months or seasons, but by your annual road trips.
You wonder if maybe your interest goes too far, in spite of an entire forum devoted to obsessed roadgeeks.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

tchafe1978

...you prefer to navigate and plan your trips with old-fashioned paper maps instead of a GPS, because you don't want to end up like that one lady who got herself lost in the middle of Death Valley by blindly following her GPS.

TEG24601

You know that some states have State Highways, State Roads, State Routes, and Trunk Lines/Routes, and sometimes you will find them all in the same state.

You can plan a cross country trip, from one small town to another small town, without needing to consult a map, including highway numbers and turns... at age 5.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

agentsteel53

Quote from: TEG24601 on August 18, 2013, 06:36:05 PM
You know that some states have State Highways, State Roads, State Routes, and Trunk Lines/Routes, and sometimes you will find them all in the same state.

okay, I'll bite.  which state?  I know Oregon has both state highways and state routes (shudder), but not all four.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Pete from Boston

...you've held onto that massive volume of Shakespeare unopened all these years, in part because it's edited by Wilbur Cross (yes, that one).

J N Winkler

Quote from: wxfree on August 18, 2013, 03:19:08 PMYou check the FTP system three or four times each week for new construction or maintenance project files.

Or . . . after 10 years of checking the same FTP server at least once a day, you write a script that you run once a day to check for newly uploaded projects and download them using wget; and then, because you are trying to surveil more than 20 other state DOTs at the same time, you write a second script that uses the sheet cross-reference PDFs to extract potential signing sheets so you can sort out the pattern-accurate sign panel detail sheets and sign elevation sheets later.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 19, 2013, 10:27:51 AM
Quote from: wxfree on August 18, 2013, 03:19:08 PMYou check the FTP system three or four times each week for new construction or maintenance project files.

Or . . . after 10 years of checking the same FTP server at least once a day, you write a script that you run once a day to check for newly uploaded projects and download them using wget; and then, because you are trying to surveil more than 20 other state DOTs at the same time, you write a second script that uses the sheet cross-reference PDFs to extract potential signing sheets so you can sort out the pattern-accurate sign panel detail sheets and sign elevation sheets later.

I think that belongs in the "You Know You're J.N. Winkler If..." thread. ;)

TEG24601

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 18, 2013, 06:43:03 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on August 18, 2013, 06:36:05 PM

okay, I'll bite.  which state?  I know Oregon has both state highways and state routes (shudder), but not all four.

There isn't one with all 4, unless you count how people talk about the Michigan Highways, which depending on their place of origin could be any of the four.  I just couldn't figure out another way to word that sentence to say that without it being overly complex in the wording.

Then again, Nova Scotia has Trunks, Highways, and Routes... so, it is close.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

PHLBOS

... when you see a photo of an old disaster (weather-related or otherwise) and you fixate your sites on the various road & route signs in the photo.

Highland Ave. over I-95/MA 128 Newton, MA just after Hurricane Gloria 1985 (note also the Howard Johnson's sign after the exit ramp):

GPS does NOT equal GOD

vtk

You see a car commercial and you pay more attention to the roads / traffic control devices than the car.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Michael

...you check if the MUTCD website is affected by the government shutdown.
...after checking the MUTCD website, you check the main FHWA and USDOT sites.

Here's the status of the sites I checked as of the time of this post:
mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov: up, no notice
www.fhwa.dot.gov: up, no notice
www.dot.gov: up with shutdown notice at the top

NE2

Scott5114

FHWA somehow got 100% of its employees classed as essential, so it will not be affected by the shutdown. Other DOT agencies (like FAA) were not so lucky.

msubulldog

You use road-related terminology to describe everyday things, like the lyrics of an old Elvis song being "don't you step on my Texaco shoes" instead of "don't you step on my Blue Suede Shoes". Another one deals with children's literature where "The Pied Piper of Hamlin" becomes "The Pied Piper of Amoco".
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

NE2

Molandfreak

Quote from: msubulldog on October 09, 2013, 11:27:19 PM
You use road-related terminology to describe everyday things, like the lyrics of an old Elvis song being "don't you step on my Texaco shoes" instead of "don't you step on my Blue Suede Shoes". Another one deals with children's literature where "The Pied Piper of Hamlin" becomes "The Pied Piper of Amoco".
1. You actually sing this "Don't You Step on my Texaco Shoes" to your friends???
2. "Everyday things?" I've never even heard of "The Pied Piper of Hamlin," and the only reason I've heard of "Blue Suede Shoes" is because I am a huge fan of old time rock.
3. Your definition of "describe" must be very different from mine.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

mgk920

. . . you can spell funky words with Wisconsin county highway route marker sign assemblies.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.