News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Quote from: bluecountry on September 16, 2019, 03:54:50 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 16, 2019, 12:54:11 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on September 16, 2019, 11:52:38 AM
Now its time to fix it.

Fix what?

You said there's a mileage sign for Philly, and the new signage now lists Philadelphia on the Exit signs to continue on I-95.  What more is there to fix?

More mileage signs, and having Philadelphia be the control city from the GWB south.
Philly should be listed on secondary signage saying "Philadelphia follow I-95 S." Control cities should be Newark, Elizabeth, Trenton, Wilmington.

The Turnpike goes to Wilmington and that's where a majority of traffic is headed past the split.

02 Park Ave

More mileage signs, and having Philadelphia be the control city from the GWB south.
[/quote]

Why bother? Philadelphia is inconsequential.
C-o-H

famartin

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 16, 2019, 07:22:37 PM
Now its time to fix it.

Fix what?

You said there's a mileage sign for Philly, and the new signage now lists Philadelphia on the Exit signs to continue on I-95.  What more is there to fix?

Philly should be listed on secondary signage saying "Philadelphia follow I-95 S." Control cities should be Newark, Elizabeth, Trenton, Wilmington.

The Turnpike goes to Wilmington and that's where a majority of traffic is headed past the split.
Elizabeth??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

famartin

Now its time to fix it.

Fix what?

Honestly, the only control cities on 95 between Philly and NYC should be Philly and NYC. The only reason that isn't the case is because of 95's complex history through the region.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: famartin on September 16, 2019, 08:36:07 PM
Honestly, the only control cities on 95 between Philly and NYC should be Philly and NYC. The only reason that isn't the case is because of 95's complex history through the region.

I disagree.  I assert that Trenton deserves a seat at the table.  It is, after all, the capital city of New Jersey.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

famartin

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 16, 2019, 09:36:06 PM
Quote from: famartin on September 16, 2019, 08:36:07 PM

I disagree.  I assert that Trenton deserves a seat at the table.  It is, after all, the capital city of New Jersey.
It no longer goes particularly close to Trenton, so it's seat should be removed.

jaip

Quote from: famartin on September 16, 2019, 08:33:17 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 16, 2019, 07:22:37 PM
Now its time to fix it.

Fix what?

Elizabeth??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Elizabeth! At least it is a suggestion, but 95 South Camden is already reality per NJTA. 😂

Alps

You're all still missing the point that every control city on I-95 is cleared by AASHTO. That would cover everything from Trenton on up. That said, Philadelphia ought to be featured once beyond Interchange 7A, since Camden is not on I-95, but so far AASHTO hasn't said anything.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on September 17, 2019, 12:07:39 AM
You're all still missing the point that every control city on I-95 is cleared by AASHTO. That would cover everything from Trenton on up. That said, Philadelphia ought to be featured once beyond Interchange 7A, since Camden is not on I-95, but so far AASHTO hasn't said anything.

Well, in that case PennDOT was in violation when they changed their northbound control from Trenton to New York recently.  I realize why, but again, I-95 bypasses Trenton now.  AASHTO should remove it.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on September 17, 2019, 02:16:48 AM

Well, in that case PennDOT was in violation when they changed their northbound control from Trenton to New York recently.  I realize why, but again, I-95 bypasses Trenton now.  AASHTO should remove it.

Yep, in these arguments people tend to focus on one direction, not both.  And in the region between Baltimore and New York, there's a fair number of inconsistencies with the control cities travelling North vs. South.

PHLBOS

Quote from: famartin on September 17, 2019, 02:16:48 AMI-95 bypasses Trenton now.
Actually I-95 has bypassed Trenton's city limits since the early 60s.  Prior to then, the route was planned to use the current US 1 corridor into the City of Trenton.  Such was nixed in favor of using the original Scudder Falls Bridge and arc highway (current I-295).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

AASHTO's control city guide has not been updated since the gap was closed -- that addressed Trenton from the south and New York from the north.  The Turnpike's control cities (I guess not required to be included in AASHTO's guide, since it was not considered an interstate?) covered everything in between.  I don't know what involvement they have had in the changes that have occurred over the last few years.

BTW . . . old signing plans I saw long ago for the proposed Trenton-area interchange with the Somerset Freeway showed New Brunswick as the northbound control city.  I don't think they exist any longer.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on September 17, 2019, 12:27:40 PMBTW . . . old signing plans I saw long ago for the proposed Trenton-area interchange with the Somerset Freeway showed New Brunswick as the northbound control city.  I don't think they exist any longer.
That's interesting.  I would've thought New York would've been used for the northbound I-95/Somerset Freeway ramp signs and the northbound US 1 ramp signage at the I-295 would list New Brunswick as it does today.

Prior to the 1993-94 shift of the I-95/295 handoff from the proposed Somerset Freeway interchange to the US 1 interchange (Exit 67); the ramps signs for US 1 northbound read:

EXIT 67 B
NORTH    TO
    1        95
    New York

And the sign panel for those US 1 north exits were wide enough to accommodate then-future New Brunswick lettering.  Long story short, the intent to sign I-95 northbound for New York via the Somerset Freeway was indeed there.  Back then, such may have been pared with Princeton.

I have to wonder if those sign plans you saw may have been for a more easterly-alignment of the Somerset Freeway further north because, from what I'm aware of, the latest version of the alignment that was killed off didn't even go through New Brunswick.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

^  I recall those messages.  My office was off of Route 31 in Pennington for several of those years before that change.  I agree that the use of New Brunswick was strange.

The plan I saw was not a design plan, but more like an inventory plan that the State kept.  I saw this in the early '90s, but don't know how dated the information shown on it was.  I had not gone down the path of roadgeekery yet, so I did not keep a copy of the plan.  The project I was working on also included photos of the prevailing guide signs in the area (before the 1993 change).  If I knew then what I would be doing now . . .

Bottom line is that your theory is plausible.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

famartin

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 17, 2019, 08:48:43 AM
Quote from: famartin on September 17, 2019, 02:16:48 AMI-95 bypasses Trenton now.
Actually I-95 has bypassed Trenton's city limits since the early 60s.  Prior to then, the route was planned to use the current US 1 corridor into the City of Trenton.  Such was nixed in favor of using the original Scudder Falls Bridge and arc highway (current I-295).
Lol you know this is my website, right?
http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/njfreeways/Interstate_95_Gap.html

artmalk

Quote from: famartin on September 17, 2019, 05:11:30 PM

Time to revive and update the page now that the long, strange, saga of the I-95 gap is history.

Beltway

The 2019 PennDOT map has the new interchange shown and the new routings, I-295 replacing the segment of I-95, and the NJ Turnpike PA Extension shown as an Interstate route for the first time, that being I-95.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

famartin

Quote from: artmalk on September 17, 2019, 05:41:23 PM
Quote from: famartin on September 17, 2019, 05:11:30 PM

Time to revive and update the page now that the long, strange, saga of the I-95 gap is history.

I haven't changed any content since I moved out of NJ 16 years ago. I might look into donating whatever content I can to wikimedia and then shut that section down.

bluecountry

So basically, the reason why on the NJTP south from NY that Philly was not used as the control city was due to the plans for the Somerset Freeway.  Now that not only has that been cancelled, but the I-95 gap filled, can we expect to see from NY to Exit 6 'Philadelphia' used as the control city?

To be honest, it should be like this:
-I-95 in NYC, when saying I-95 south, should have 'Philadelphia' not 'Trenton as the control city,' it's assine they have 'New Haven' as the northbound control city but something like Philly for the south.
-After Exit 6, headed south, the NJTP should have 'Wilmington/Baltimore-Washington' as the control city since most of the traffic on the NJTP is for long distance mid atlantic.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bluecountry on September 17, 2019, 06:54:03 PMSo basically, the reason why on the NJTP south from NY that Philly was not used as the control city was due to the plans for the Somerset Freeway.  Now that not only has that been cancelled, but the I-95 gap filled, can we expect to see from NY to Exit 6 'Philadelphia' used as the control city?
Based on the latest signs, the NJTA is finally replacing pull-through & ramps signs north of Exit 6 that didn't already have I-95 shields on them.  However, the only signs that list Philadelphia on them are the Exit 6 ramp signs as well as the PA-bound pull-through sign along the PA Connector/Extension (as well as the ramp signage beyond the US 130 (aka Exit 6A) toll plaza.  I believe, but not 100% sure, the current plan is to add periodic mileage signs that will list Philadelphia in them along the stretch north of Exit 6 (obviously southbound lanes only).

Quote from: bluecountry on September 17, 2019, 06:54:03 PM-I-95 in NYC, when saying I-95 south, should have 'Philadelphia' not 'Trenton as the control city,' it's assine they have 'New Haven' as the northbound control city but something like Philly for the south.
IIRC, Trenton isn't used as southbound I-95/NJ Turnpike control city until it reaches Exit 15W (I-280 just north of Newark).  Newark is listed on through/ramp signage north of 15W; the reasons being that such is a major city in NJ that also has a large airport (EWR) in the area. 

The only reason New Haven is used for the northbound signage was because the prior New England listing, though still technically accurate, wasn't MUTCD-kosher. 

Quote from: bluecountry on September 17, 2019, 06:54:03 PM-After Exit 6, headed south, the NJTP should have 'Wilmington/Baltimore-Washington' as the control city since most of the traffic on the NJTP is for long distance mid atlantic.
Current signage uses a Camden/Wilmington combo at Exit 6, Camden only for Exit 5 & Wilmington for Exit 4 and southward.  Older signage used to use either Delaware of Delaware Memorial Bridge.  IMHO, any inclusion of Baltimore should only be used for mileage signs.  Listing it, as well as Washington, this far north on pull-through and/or ramp signs is flat out overkill.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

KEVIN_224

I'm surprised the I-95 North signs in New York City don't mention Stamford or Bridgeport, which you'd pass through long before New Haven. My guess is that New Haven is used since it's a much larger transportation connection point (MTA-Metro North, Amtrak, CT Rail, Shoreline East, Greyhound and Peter Pan).

Getting back to the NJ Turnpike now. Is Exit 1 technically the toll plaza near the southern end? I know there's an unnumbered exit after the plaza but before the Delaware Memorial Bridge in Pennsville. I know since me and a friend stayed in a hotel off of that exit once in 2009.

bzakharin

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 18, 2019, 01:12:39 PM
Getting back to the NJ Turnpike now. Is Exit 1 technically the toll plaza near the southern end? I know there's an unnumbered exit after the plaza but before the Delaware Memorial Bridge in Pennsville. I know since me and a friend stayed in a hotel off of that exit once in 2009.
Yes and yes. I've always wondered why that exit doesn't mention US 40 East when going southbound. Does nobody use the Turnpike South to US 40 East?

famartin

Quote from: bzakharin on September 18, 2019, 02:10:49 PM
Yes and yes. I've always wondered why that exit doesn't mention US 40 East when going southbound. Does nobody use the Turnpike South to US 40 East?

I'd suspect it's a very small number of people.

jeffandnicole

Yes, although the Turnpike never really says Exit 1.  They use Interchange 1.  They do have 'Entry' and 'Exit' on their toll calculator page, although that's referring to the toll plazas you're going thru.  Interchanges 1, 6, 14, 14C, 16/18E and 18W aren't really exits per se.

Quote from: famartin on September 18, 2019, 03:21:17 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on September 18, 2019, 02:10:49 PM

I'd suspect it's a very small number of people.

Same here.  Most of the people exiting at that exit are using the businesses located on NJ 140.

KEVIN_224

Connecticut seems to do similar to the Turnpike. The first signed Exit on I-95 in Greenwich is Exit 2 for Delavan Avenue, nearly a mile from the NY line. The rationale was you leaving the old Connecticut Turnpike was "Exit 1". Funny...Exit 1 is present on I-84 in Danbury, right by the NY line (the eastbound off ramp from I-84 actually starts in NY by a few feet). Hopefully, mileage based numbering would take care of that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.