News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Department of Redundancy Department

Started by Brandon, December 26, 2013, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 09, 2019, 04:38:13 PM
Quote from: Michael on October 08, 2019, 09:49:02 PM
Here's yet another example on I-690 in Syracuse that looks redundant but actually isn't.  I always wondered why there's a separate sign on the left instead of a single sign with three arrows, but then one day I realized that because of the short barrier between the ramp and mainline, it's still technically "on" the ramp.

It's certainly better than this nonredundant sign in a similar context on I-294 in Illinois.
(image)

Disagree.  I'd rather see one sign panel per destination.  It's easier to parse in a short amount of time.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

hbelkins

Here's yet another example on I-690 in Syracuse that looks redundant but actually isn't.  I always wondered why there's a separate sign on the left instead of a single sign with three arrows, but then one day I realized that because of the short barrier between the ramp and mainline, it's still technically "on" the ramp.

It's certainly better than this nonredundant sign in a similar context on I-294 in Illinois.

Can you imagine that monstrosity in a OAPL sign?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on October 10, 2019, 12:38:15 PM

Can you imagine that monstrosity in a OAPL sign?

There are some that wide already in the wild.  Since there's no option lane here, no need for an APL.

sprjus4

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

adwerkema

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

mrsman

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 27, 2020, 06:56:32 PM
Quote from: adwerkema on June 27, 2020, 12:57:37 PM
You sure this leads to West I-94/69?

On a similar note, am I getting on I-795?

That first sign is one of the closest signs to a CA freeway entrance sign that I have seen in MD.  It lets you know in definitive terms that you are entering the freeway 795 and no option to go elsewhere.

jeffandnicole

What other signage contradicts that to make you think you're not going on I-795, or there are other options?

wanderer2575

It might be a sanity check for drivers after they pass this assembly.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 28, 2020, 11:15:49 AM

What other signage contradicts that to make you think you're not going on I-795, or there are other options?

None, really - only reason I can think of for that much I-795 signage on the same ramp is to hammer home the point that drivers, who have just been driving on this 4-lane, at-grade bypass of Reisterstown and passed thru a signalized intersection with MD 140, are now defaulting onto a freeway.  This location might be a good candidate for a "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign, as mrsman was alluding to with that first sign.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 08, 2019, 01:34:07 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 07, 2019, 07:47:09 PM
Quote from: kendancy66 on October 06, 2019, 11:31:04 PM
This is a case where the signage appears redundant, but is in fact not.

https://goo.gl/maps/MNDkU4yy7QksrYrj9

The sign on the left is for the main road, and the one on the right is for the on ramp which passes over the exit in a braided ramp setup

This is how the NJ Turnpike works for the dual-dual setup.  Both roadways have exits for the same interchange.
A similar example in MA; although the road on the right acts more like a collector-distributor ramp at this interchange.

This is the northerly interchange of I-95 and 128.  The C/D road on the right carries traffic from I-95 south to 128 north.  The original signs installed at this location in 1989 as part of the Task 'A' interchange project had Lynn as a control city instead of Salem.  About a year or so later, Lynn was overlaid with Salem.  However, the overlays were not tall enough, so the bottom of the 'y' in Lynn was still visible.  The overlays were also fabricated from a thicker sheet aluminum than normally used for such panels.  The signs were replaced with the current panels as part of the 2005 I-95 Lynnfield-Peabody-Danvers sign replacement project.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

mrsman

Quote from: jmacswimmer on June 28, 2020, 01:04:52 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 28, 2020, 11:15:49 AM

None, really - only reason I can think of for that much I-795 signage on the same ramp is to hammer home the point that drivers, who have just been driving on this 4-lane, at-grade bypass of Reisterstown and passed thru a signalized intersection with MD 140, are now defaulting onto a freeway.  This location might be a good candidate for a "FREEWAY ENTRANCE" sign, as mrsman was alluding to with that first sign.

So far MD has not adopted "freeway entrance" signs to my knowledge, but as NY seems to have recently adopted it in specific situations, this would be a good candidate.  It can only increase safety.

STLmapboy

Are you sure that this exit should be taken at 25mph?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

csw

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 29, 2020, 12:07:33 PM
Are you sure that this exit should be taken at 25mph?
See, this is an instance where redundancy is a good thing - slowing down to 25 mph from 75-80 mph takes a long distance, so the more signs there are, the less likely it is the driver will take the ramp too hot and end up over the side. Multiple signs in this case means "take this advisory seriously".

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

GaryV

Eth

Quote from: GaryV on June 30, 2020, 08:33:57 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 30, 2020, 08:23:53 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/30371721043/in/album-72157672404927284/
What's redundant about that?  One gantry, with signs pointing either to the exit or to terminal and parking.

The US 54 shield next to the text "US 54" is probably a bit of overkill.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ErmineNotyours

Milepost 162 followed by Milepost 162.0

The I-5 variable speed limit sign assemblies are identified by what looks like regular mile posts, with rare (for this state) 1/10th of a mile decimal precision.  Even if one sign is within a 10th of a mile of a milepost.

JoePCool14

Did someone say Turnpike? This is I-40 East in Yukon, OK. Just found this browsing Oklahoma Street View, where you're almost guaranteed to find hot garbage.

Street View link.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

sprjus4

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 07, 2020, 11:43:23 AM
Did someone say Turnpike? This is I-40 East in Yukon, OK. Just found this browsing Oklahoma Street View, where you're almost guaranteed to find hot garbage.

Street View link.
The text in yellow would better read "Toll Road" to specify it's a toll road. There are numerous "Turnpikes" around the country that are not tolled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.