AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Poll

Which eastern terminus of I-70 looks the best

Current (I-695 in Woodlawn)
- 17 (27.4%)
Former (Park and Ride near Baltimore)
- 5 (8.1%)
Planned (I-95 in Baltimore)
- 40 (64.5%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: East End of I-70  (Read 5914 times)

BrianP

• Last Login: Today at 04:13:12 PM
Re: East End of I-70
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2019, 03:04:10 PM »

On that note, let's steer the conversation back to the subject title, which was the East End of I-70 in Baltimore, Maryland (a.k.a. Exit 94: Security Blvd.).

When is that entire I-70/95/695 area likely to come due for major maintenance/re-engineering/bridge work?

In the fairly near future, if documents here are correct.
It states there:
9/23/2019 The I-695 at I-70 Advertisement will be in March 2020.

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: November 11, 2019, 03:43:05 PM
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2019, 06:41:31 PM »

Does anyone think the Interstate 70/695 interchange will be downgraded somewhat? Since Interstate 70 ends at Security Blvd. (and has since the rest of 70 through Baltimore was canceled in the 1980's), I wouldn't be surprised if all ramps to-and-from the east leg of the interchange may be reconfigured to reflect the short legnth from 695 to Interstate 70's present eastern terminus.

TheOneKEA

• Last Login: November 13, 2019, 06:29:11 AM
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2019, 08:54:26 AM »

Does anyone think the Interstate 70/695 interchange will be downgraded somewhat? Since Interstate 70 ends at Security Blvd. (and has since the rest of 70 through Baltimore was canceled in the 1980's), I wouldn't be surprised if all ramps to-and-from the east leg of the interchange may be reconfigured to reflect the short legnth from 695 to Interstate 70's present eastern terminus.

I have read some anecdotal reporting which suggests that the semidirectional connections from I-70 to both directions of the Beltway, and vice versa, will be retained but that the planned mainline and the remaining connections will either be outright deleted or will be replaced with much smaller, slower ramps. My personal belief is that the stack will be replaced with a partial clover stack.

mrsman

• Last Login: Today at 08:01:01 AM
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2019, 03:54:28 PM »

I have read some anecdotal reporting which suggests that the semidirectional connections from I-70 to both directions of the Beltway, and vice versa, will be retained but that the planned mainline and the remaining connections will either be outright deleted or will be replaced with much smaller, slower ramps. My personal belief is that the stack will be replaced with a partial clover stack.

Something like that would be extremely helpful.  If there  are no realistic plans to extend I-70 east of 695, then redesign the interchange so that I-70 can better utilize 695.  Something akin to the 695/795 interchange.  Most importantly - two lane ramps from I-70 to I-695 north to alleviate the existing backups.

Henry

• Last Login: Today at 02:24:13 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2019, 09:47:58 AM »

Something like that would be extremely helpful.  If there  are no realistic plans to extend I-70 east of 695, then redesign the interchange so that I-70 can better utilize 695.  Something akin to the 695/795 interchange.  Most importantly - two lane ramps from I-70 to I-695 north to alleviate the existing backups.
An even better example would be the I-83/I-695 interchange, which is intertwined with the MD 139 interchange. If the eastbound roadway is taken out, at least add new ramps that can facilitate movements between MD 122 and I-70. But I think part of it should be saved if the Red Line gets a second chance. Either way, the Park and Ride and MD 122 interchange need to go, with the latter becoming an at-grade intersection as was intended in the Red Line plans.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 10:16:09 AM by Henry »
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 02:58:35 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2019, 10:13:59 AM »

Quote from: mrsman
Most importantly - two lane ramps from I-70 to I-695 north to alleviate the existing backups.

Past plans I've seen included this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.