AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Virginia  (Read 816783 times)

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: April 03, 2020, 07:08:09 AM
Re: Virginia
« Reply #5075 on: March 29, 2020, 12:12:55 AM »

The more lights removed on VA-234, the better. IMO, that bypass of Manassas should've been built as a full freeway when it was built only 20 years ago. Whoever thought an expressway design with signals would be appropriate in a rapidly growing area was clearly not thinking for anything beyond 10 years.

Please consider that finances play into these decisions.  Though a signal costs money to design and build (and has operating costs as well), signalized intersections cost less to construct than interchanges, and VDOT has not had an unlimited budget at all since the study and preliminary engineering of what is now VA-234 between VA-294 and I-66 started in the early 1990's. 

The same comments apply to VA-286 and VA-289 in Fairfax County.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 02:50:31 AM
« Reply #5076 on: March 29, 2020, 12:19:35 AM »

At minimum, right of way should have been reserved and acquired for interchanges for a future freeway build out.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: April 03, 2020, 07:08:09 AM
« Reply #5077 on: March 29, 2020, 04:15:43 AM »

At minimum, right of way should have been reserved and acquired for interchanges for a future freeway build out.

It would appear that the space is there, but I do not know if that land belongs to VDOT or is in reservation to prevent it from being developed.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Jmiles32

• Last Login: April 05, 2020, 01:42:33 PM
« Reply #5078 on: April 02, 2020, 07:09:43 PM »

Perhaps one of the few promising developments during these times:
https://www.insidenova.com/news/transportation/fairfax/reduced-traffic-means-more-time-for-roadwork-during-coronavirus-crisis/article_3945b110-727f-11ea-8473-c7b64473c9cd.html
Road crews will have more time to work on Route 7 corridor improvements due to reduced traffic during the coronavirus crisis.

The Virginia Department of Transportation announced that lane closures between Reston Avenue and Jarrett Valley Drive have been extended “due to the significant decrease in traffic as a result of school closures, increased telework, and limitations on public gatherings.”

The seven-mile road widening project west of the Dulles Toll Road includes an additional lane in each direction, shared-use paths and intersection improvements.

They’ll now run from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Monday, March 30, to Friday April 3

Will be interesting to see if this approach will be implemented for other big projects across the state also experiencing significant drops in traffic volumes (Which I would assume would be pretty much everywhere). Would be awesome if they could finish some of these megaprojects (especially the ones on I-95) way sooner than expected.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.