News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

Started by Zeffy, February 25, 2014, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Jordanes on April 05, 2018, 07:27:15 PM
Quote from: theroadwayone on April 03, 2018, 09:05:34 PM
How long do those "Old Exit XX" signs really need to stay up in order for drivers to catch on?

Those exit numbers were switched over in 2001.

Completely unacceptable that the former exit numbers are still up after that time.  No other state has taken 17 years to remove that signage. 

theroadwayone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 05, 2018, 08:13:49 PM
How long do those "Old Exit XX" signs really need to stay up in order for drivers to catch on?

Completely unacceptable that the former exit numbers are still up after that time.  No other state has taken 17 years to remove that signage.
Only in Pennsylvania...

Hot Rod Hootenanny

They want you to keep them as a souvenir.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

roadman65

No but some exits on I-4 are still with former exit numbers even though the majority have been removed on all four primary and the major 59 mile long I-275 and the smaller spurs and loops.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

akotchi

Finally . . . a couple of photos to offer of the progress of the changeover.

This is what I found this morning on the Pennsylvania side of the Scudder Falls Bridge. (taken April 9, 2018)

This is what I found going "north" into New Jersey. (taken March 31, 2018)

Note the greenouts in the pull-through and exit number areas.

The connection, for now, is the portable VMS panel in the ramp nose in the top photo . . . it says "95 NORTH TO 295 SOUTH" with a large right arrow as the second message.

I wondered how the discrepancy would be addressed in this area.  I-95 now (effectively) begins and ends at the Delaware River, just at different spots.

More photos coming soon of some oddities I caught over the last month, now that I have a little time to post them.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: akotchi on April 09, 2018, 11:57:05 AM

(See above for pics)

The connection, for now, is the portable VMS panel in the ramp nose in the top photo . . . it says "95 NORTH TO 295 SOUTH" with a large right arrow as the second message.

I wondered how the discrepancy would be addressed in this area.  I-95 now (effectively) begins and ends at the Delaware River, just at different spots.

More photos coming soon of some oddities I caught over the last month, now that I have a little time to post them.

PA should be starting work shortly on their section of 95/295, so that discrepancy should be gone probably within a month or so.

It appears that the new bridge being worked on now will be open to traffic by Spring or Summer 2019.  At this point, there's going to be good brand-new signage, including for the electronic tolling coming to this bridge.   Hopefully it looks decent (something the DRJTBC isn't exactly a leader in).

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 09, 2018, 12:49:49 PMPA should be starting work shortly on their section of 95/295, so that discrepancy should be gone probably within a month or so.
I would think PennDOT would wait until that new through-I-95 ramps at the Turnpike are completed & open to traffic (this fall(?)) prior to that.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

theroadwayone

This is what I found this morning on the Pennsylvania side of the Scudder Falls Bridge. (taken April 9, 2018)

This is what I found going "north" into New Jersey. (taken March 31, 2018)

And so it begins.

yakra

Has anyone spotted new Exit 1 signage on I-195 yet?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Mr. Matté

Quote from: yakra on April 09, 2018, 11:20:58 PM

As of last Tuesday,  I-195 to 295 was still exit 60.

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 09, 2018, 12:49:49 PM

(See above for pics)

PA should be starting work shortly on their section of 95/295, so that discrepancy should be gone probably within a month or so.

It appears that the new bridge being worked on now will be open to traffic by Spring or Summer 2019.  At this point, there's going to be good brand-new signage, including for the electronic tolling coming to this bridge.   Hopefully it looks decent (something the DRJTBC isn't exactly a leader in).

akotchi's top picture is a northbound view of Taylorsville Road as it passes through the Yardley interchange (the first interchange in PA coming out of NJ).  (GSV has a view of it from the same vantage point taken in July 2013.)

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 10, 2018, 12:36:39 AM

Nope.  I'm on the Rt. 29 portion everyday, so I'm waiting for it!  The sign for I-295 North (Exit 60B) from Rt. 29 South is original back to around 1994, and is button copy.  It'll be interesting to see if they replace the entire sign.  The sign for 295 south (Exit 60A) is newer as it was replaced several years ago with two arrows for the 2 exit lanes, so that one really only needs the new Exit tabs.

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 10, 2018, 09:02:49 AM

Nope.  I'm on the Rt. 29 portion everyday, so I'm waiting for it!  The sign for I-295 North (Exit 60B) from Rt. 29 South is original back to around 1994, and is button copy.  It'll be interesting to see if they replace the entire sign.  The sign for 295 south (Exit 60A) is newer as it was replaced several years ago with two arrows for the 2 exit lanes, so that one really only needs the new Exit tabs.

Yeah that sign is from when they finally finished the whole 195/295/29 freeway interchange in '94. Button copy with an early version of reflective backgrounds.

Mergingtraffic

Soon these overlays will come down then this picture will be a part of history.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 10, 2018, 03:49:21 PM

And an I-95 shield will be added to that adjacent pull-through BGS.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 10, 2018, 03:51:05 PM
I am surprised that wasn't done with a cover-up in the first place. Those two signs were put up at the same time by the same contractor after all. Will the pull-thrus north of here (that say "Thru Traffic") be replaced entirely?

AMLNet49

And yet that horrible, wrinkled, off-color patch for the arrow will remain. Was that really necessary, do we need that exact arrow over a very similar looking arrow?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: AMLNet49 on April 10, 2018, 09:57:42 PM

And yet that horrible, wrinkled, off-color patch for the arrow will remain. Was that really necessary, do we need that exact arrow over a very similar looking arrow?

When you're driving under it, the patch color looks the same as the green sign behind it. Cameras seem to capture something that makes it look much darker!

And the arrow behind it was ugly, so yes it was needed!!

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on April 10, 2018, 04:50:01 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 10, 2018, 03:51:05 PM
I am surprised that wasn't done with a cover-up in the first place. Those two signs were put up at the same time by the same contractor after all. Will the pull-thrus north of here (that say "Thru Traffic") be replaced entirely?
While the contractor could've placed I-95 shields for the northbound ramp & pull-through signs at this location; they decided not to due to the absence of the direct-connection with the PA Turnpike at the time (such would've been an issue for I-95 southbounders).  However, and I probably mentioned this several pages back, NJTA should've IMHO placed I-95 shields and all related signage north of Exit 7A (I-195).  That interchange allows for one to resume on I-95 (near Trenton) via I-195 & I-295 (or NJ 29).

The THRU TRAFFIC pull-throughs north of this location were erected prior to NJTA adopting more MUTCD-style signage.  My guess is that those signs will remain but will have I-95 shields placed on them in the foreseeable future; these sign layouts were planned with the supplemental I-95 shields in mind.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on April 10, 2018, 10:51:04 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 10, 2018, 09:02:49 AM

Yeah that sign is from when they finally finished the whole 195/295/29 freeway interchange in '94. Button copy with an early version of reflective backgrounds.

Based on a small sample size of 1, there may be upwards of a full sign replacement program going on around Exit 60. 

On 295 this morning, this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/rLKeCrzRQg22 now has 4 shields on it, and reads something like:

NORTH   EAST        TO
    29       195     95  NJTPK

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 11, 2018, 08:42:22 AMBased on a small sample size of 1, there may be upwards of a full sign replacement program going on around Exit 60. 

On 295 this morning, this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/rLKeCrzRQg22 now has 4 shields on it, and reads something like:

NORTH   EAST        TO
Was the entire sign replaced or did NJDOT just replace the three larger shields with four smaller ones?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 11, 2018, 08:50:15 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 11, 2018, 08:42:22 AMBased on a small sample size of 1, there may be upwards of a full sign replacement program going on around Exit 60. 

NORTH   EAST        TO
Was the entire sign replaced or did NJDOT just replace the three larger shields with four smaller ones?

I believe it was the entire sign.  It took me by surprise so I only had a last-second look at it. Now that I'm aware of it I'll try to grab a pic next time.

PHLBOS

Very recently, PennDOT changed one or two I-95 North ramp signage south of the PA Turnpike crossing that originally listed Trenton to New York.  One of those changes occurred on a recent installation along Princeton Ave. in Northeast Philadelphia as part of the PA 73/Cottman Ave. interchange signage.

BGS circa Aug. 2017

A photo showing the very recent update was posted in a Facebook forum (not sure if the poster is a member of this forum) and shows the New York text in Highway Gothic.  This is probably the only BGS among the newer installments wide enough to support the longer text (due to the spacing between two words).

That said, why is PennDOT even bothering with replacing Trenton legends with New York legends at all south of the PA Turnpike crossing/interchange?  Regardless of what route numbers the Delaware Expressway carries, it's still the fastest and most logical route to Trenton... at least up to the US 1 Morrisville/Langhorne interchange (current Exits 46A-B/Future Exits 5A-B).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 11, 2018, 11:23:28 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 11, 2018, 08:50:15 AM

NORTH   EAST        TO

I believe it was the entire sign.  It took me by surprise so I only had a last-second look at it. Now that I'm aware of it I'll try to grab a pic next time.

Per the design plans, the whole sign (each one in the sequence) is to be replaced.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.