AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange  (Read 344221 times)

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 04:23:45 PM
Re: I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange
« Reply #2825 on: April 06, 2020, 07:29:53 AM »

Cost being the main factor, and these three are probably the cheapest. It would also allow them to use a similar design for the Newark Bay twinning. if it has a similar main span length

These would be totally different projects, and can easily have different bridges.  Height, width, right of way, clearance, approach roadways, and scores of other criteria etc all factor in.  A cabled stayed bridge may have a higher total height and be cheapest and could be used at both locations, but if there's height restrictions due to air traffic at one of the locations, it will need to be nixed.

Realize that even a typical overpass design is researched at every...single...crossing, of which the Turnpike has hundreds.  A large bridge will get the same treatment.

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: Today at 06:38:31 PM
« Reply #2826 on: April 06, 2020, 08:50:07 AM »

Since as J&N said everything done before is off the table, let's look at this from a new perspective

I see it being either a Tied Network Arch bridge, Regular Tied Arch, or a Cable Stay. Concrete girders for the approaches,simple spans. Giant main span.

Cost being the main factor, and these three are probably the cheapest. It would also allow them to use a similar design for the Newark Bay twinning. if it has a similar main span length

It might look also like the new Champlain bridge in Montreal.  Will they also add a path for pedestrians and cyclists as well like the new Champlain bridge and the Goethals bridge between Elizabeth and Staten Island?

bluecountry

• Last Login: Today at 04:30:59 PM
« Reply #2827 on: April 06, 2020, 10:15:45 AM »

When is the new bridge going to be built?
Given all the projects lined up ahead of it, Id guess 15 years at least. I could imagine them rushing that if the existing span shows more signs of deterioration.
Is there a list of all projects planned?

SteveG1988

• Last Login: Today at 12:06:56 AM
« Reply #2828 on: April 06, 2020, 01:15:44 PM »

Since as J&N said everything done before is off the table, let's look at this from a new perspective

I see it being either a Tied Network Arch bridge, Regular Tied Arch, or a Cable Stay. Concrete girders for the approaches,simple spans. Giant main span.

It might look also like the new Champlain bridge in Montreal.  Will they also add a path for pedestrians and cyclists as well like the new Champlain bridge and the Goethals bridge between Elizabeth and Staten Island?

Or a "Breadbasket" ARch

bzakharin

• Last Login: July 04, 2020, 11:32:54 PM
« Reply #2829 on: April 06, 2020, 02:41:29 PM »

Where would these pedestrians and cyclists be going? The Turnpikes don't exactly have facilities for them.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 04:23:45 PM
« Reply #2830 on: April 06, 2020, 04:02:29 PM »

Where would these pedestrians and cyclists be going? The Turnpikes don't exactly have facilities for them.

It would be like most other bridges with ped/bike crossings.  The pedestrian or bicyclist would access the walkway via ramp or stairs, cross the bridge, then go down the ramp or stairway on the other side.  Where are they coming from or going to?  It would be like everyone else walking, driving or riding a bike - from somewhere to somewhere, or just for a leisure trip.

odditude

• Last Login: Today at 01:02:14 PM
« Reply #2831 on: April 06, 2020, 10:39:01 PM »

Is there a list of all projects planned?

Found this in the proposed NJTA 2020 capital improvement program:

DELAWARE RIVER TURNPIKE BRIDGE REPLACEMENT
This project will widen from two lanes in each direction to four lanes in each direction. The project is planned to demolish the existing truss arch spans and approach viaducts and construct new twin crossings with four lanes on each crossing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.