News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Twin tornadoes from the same storm

Started by ET21, June 16, 2014, 08:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

This picture comes out from a chaser in Nebraska. Twin tornadoes under the same parent supercell thunderstorm.  :-o :-o :-o :-o

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Scott5114

One of the storms during the May 3, 1999 tornado outbreak did something like this.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Jardine

And for a while, both tornadoes were F4 !!!

The Jordan Iowa tornado back in the 70s briefly had 2 tornadoes, and the smaller one was rotating backwards. (for the northern hemisphere) It was absorbed by the larger tornado.

Also the tornado ingested COPIOUS amounts of large hail and blasted it's path of destruction with 300MPH ice shrapnel.  It was an extremely severe tornado.

Brian556

This is almost unbelievable. It's hard to imagine how two large tornadoes could exist that close to each other without interference from the other.

Zeffy

At least 16 are critically injured, and 1 person is dead from this Tornado outbreak. Sad. Some pictures are available at this article, http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/twin-tornadoes-pummel-northeast-nebraska-killing-one-n132586 . According to the article, it "was over in two minutes", but the damage caused is absolutely jaw-dropping for just 2 minutes.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hbelkins

I've seen photos from similar past events with two tornadoes on the ground.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Rare, but not unheard of in the meteorological community.  Somewhat more common is when a storm cell drops a 2nd tornado while the 1st tornado is weakening.  However, twin tornadoes from the same storm cell maintaining strength like this has been documented (and also photographed) in the past.

ET21

There was even a very brief 3rd tornado. For a few minutes according to Tornado Tracker, there were 3 tornadoes on the ground

https://twitter.com/tornadotrackers/status/478966475072348160/photo/1

Clinched:

froggie

The "twin tornadoes" everyone's referring to are #2 and #3 from that supercell.  #1 was the original tornado, but was dying down as #2 was forming....this is actually fairly "common" (relatively speaking), where a tornadic circulation with a supercell will weaken and eventually dissipate as a new circulation forms in its place, and often drops a tornado before the original tornado fully dissipates.

ET21

Quote from: froggie on June 19, 2014, 11:14:03 AM
The "twin tornadoes" everyone's referring to are #2 and #3 from that supercell.  #1 was the original tornado, but was dying down as #2 was forming....this is actually fairly "common" (relatively speaking), where a tornadic circulation with a supercell will weaken and eventually dissipate as a new circulation forms in its place, and often drops a tornado before the original tornado fully dissipates.

I see what you're saying, the "handoff". #2 and #3 were on the ground together though for a good chunk of time.

Clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.