News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Atlantic City Expressway going Toll Free!

Started by jeffandnicole, May 22, 2014, 02:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

roadman

This gimmick happens every so often on the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90), usually at either the Allston-Brighton tolls or the Weston tolls.  A local company will agree to pay everyone's tolls for a short period of time (usually one hour) that's during rush hour, but normally not the time period with the maximum amount of traffic the facility sees during rush hour.  In exchange, the company has the toll workers (at cash booths) hand out promotional flyers for the company's product, service, or events.

One of the recent sponsors of the "toll free" hour was Tanglewood - the concert venue in the Berkshires that normally presents only classical music.  Now, there's nothing wrong with classical music, but it seems to me to be an odd marketing strategy for them -  to hand out leaflets at a toll plaza.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Once upon a time, before FastLane/EZ Pass came about; the tolls along the Mass Pike were waived during peak holiday travel periods.  The toll collectors would literally wave motorists approaching the booths to move along.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SteveG1988

Will they just funnel everyone through the ezpass express lanes?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 22, 2014, 03:30:49 PM
Once upon a time, before FastLane/EZ Pass came about; the tolls along the Mass Pike were waived during peak holiday travel periods.  The toll collectors would literally wave motorists approaching the booths to move along.
IIRC, that was when Jim Kerasiotes was chairman of the Turnpike Authority.  Within a couple of weeks of him assuming office, he sent out a directive instructing all toll plaza supervisors to suspend collections and wave drivers through when traffic backed up from the plaza onto the Pike mainline, or from the plaza past pre-determined points on approach roadways.  While this scenario was most common during holiday weekends, I recall the policy being invoked on more than one ocassion that didn't involve a holiday.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 22, 2014, 03:36:14 PM
Will they just funnel everyone through the ezpass express lanes?

Probably not, as funneling 4 lanes down to 2 lanes takes an enormous amount of signage, manpower, barricades, and would only congest traffic even further.  They'll probably do what roadman said...traffic would go thru their normal lanes.  Those in the cash lanes may get a promo flyer.

Henry

Perhaps this is in anticipation of the early arrivals for Memorial Day weekend?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

Generally, "rush hour" will start about noontime on Friday, as people head to the shore early.

SectorZ

Quote from: roadman on May 22, 2014, 03:37:26 PM

IIRC, that was when Jim Kerasiotes was chairman of the Turnpike Authority.  Within a couple of weeks of him assuming office, he sent out a directive instructing all toll plaza supervisors to suspend collections and wave drivers through when traffic backed up from the plaza onto the Pike mainline, or from the plaza past pre-determined points on approach roadways.  While this scenario was most common during holiday weekends, I recall the policy being invoked on more than one ocassion that didn't involve a holiday.

Traveling to CT in the late 90's a lot, mostly on Fridays, I'd get waved thru getting onto I-84 as that would tend to back up badly and sometimes spill onto I-90 W/B.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.