Weird, goofs or just plain disturbing signs

Started by DesertDog, July 06, 2014, 02:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertDog

The topic pretty much contains a self-explanation.  Post any weird or unusual signs that you find on the net or in the field:

This is my personal favorite from arizonaroads.com, sure gives you reassurance about taking that flight out of Sky Harbor.

Not to be usurped, someone in the Florida Keys is in charge of updating the kill counter sign every time they get some fresh meat. 

algorerhythms

In the vein of the second image, this isn't an official sign, but it's still pretty disturbing:

MD 135 at the bottom of Backbone Mountain. The crosses are painted to indicate how many people died there.

hbelkins

I turned around at that intersection last year and didn't notice all those crosses. What I did notice was just how isolated and remote that area seems to be. It's much more reminiscent of southwestern West Virginia than it is northern West Virginia. I was following WV 46 and ended up back on MD 135, but it sounds like staying on 135 would have been an interesting drive in its own right.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

algorerhythms

135 is a pretty interesting drive. I've been there lots of times. When I was a kid I went fishing with my dad at Savage River and Jennings Randolph reservoirs, and to get there we'd take 36 to 135.

The scariest trip I've had on 135 was when, on the way up Backbone Mountain from Jennings Randolph (IIRC, the road is called Mount Zion Road), a deer jumped out of the weeds along the road. I slammed on the brakes and just barely tapped the deer. It left a few hairs on the bumper and ran off. The problem, though, was when I slammed on the brakes I busted the brake line. Only the front brakes were working, and I still had to drive down 135. Didn't join the crosses, though.

Brandon

Quote from: DesertDog on July 06, 2014, 02:11:54 PM
Not to be usurped, someone in the Florida Keys is in charge of updating the kill counter sign every time they get some fresh meat. 

Shoot, IDOT does that on the electronic VMSs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.