AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1972 EIS for the MA 2 Freeway from Acton to Lexington  (Read 844 times)

kernals12

• Love highways and cars. Hate public transit.

• Last Login: Today at 05:45:24 PM
1972 EIS for the MA 2 Freeway from Acton to Lexington
« on: January 10, 2021, 01:08:46 PM »

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Route_2_Improvements_in_Acton_Concord_Li/M5Q2AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1

Since this was published, only one intersection, Crosby's Corner, has been replaced with an interchange, and that's not because of unwillingness from the locals, officials in Concord for years have been begging the state to do the same to the infamous rotary. The reason seems to be very simple; money, or lack of it.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 05:51:32 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: 1972 EIS for the MA 2 Freeway from Acton to Lexington
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 12:34:10 AM »

Interesting. I thought there was local opposition along the corridor east of I-95 to improvements, despite the crash history. Something along the lines of encouraging traffic and ruining rural nature, blah blah the usual.

kernals12

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 07:50:30 AM »

Interesting. I thought there was local opposition along the corridor east of I-95 to improvements, despite the crash history. Something along the lines of encouraging traffic and ruining rural nature, blah blah the usual.

It's already a 4 lane arterial, it's ruining rural nature as much as it can. Making it into a freeway is just a matter of replacing 8 more at-grade intersections with interchanges and building frontage roads.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 11:10:38 AM by kernals12 »

rushfan01760

• Last Login: January 23, 2021, 06:25:10 PM
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 08:19:07 AM »

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Route_2_Improvements_in_Acton_Concord_Li/M5Q2AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1

Since this was published, only one intersection, Crosby's Corner, has been replaced with an interchange, and that's not because of unwillingness from the locals, officials in Concord for years have been begging the state to do the same to the infamous rotary. The reason seems to be very simple; money, or lack of it.

This might explain why Hanscom Drive (the 1/2 mile or so between Rte. 2A and the airport/Air Force Base split) feels more like a freeway than an access road.  [I remember back in the 70s there was a Speed Limit 50 sign at the beginning of the road.]  It would make sense if the plan was to have it be a connector road from a Rte. 2 freeway.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 04:58:33 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 08:20:44 AM »

Quoting one of my posts from the single ideas thread from 2018:

Converting MA 2 so that it has no traffic lights between Acton and Lexington:

(list is from west to east)
1. MA 111 at end of freeway (no traffic light here, but still needs to be modified): Allow turnaround from westbound to eastbound.
2. Taylor Rd./Piper Rd.: RIRO; turning around is available at MA 111 while going westbound (after modification, see #1) and at the 2/119 rotary eastbound.
3. Elm St./Baker Ave. Ext.: RIRO. There will be interchange access at MA 62, which is close enough. Median U-turns might also be helpful here.
4. MA 62: Convert to interchange.
5. Old Road to 9 Acre Corner (strange street name): Overpass or underpass with no interchange. It's close enough to MA 62.
6. Sudbury Rd.: Something halfway between a RIRO with median U-turns on MA 2 and a rotary.
7. MA 126: Interchange. Just avoid the quadrant with Walden Pond.
8. Bedford Rd.: This is basically already an at-grade interchange. Just grade-separate it.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒘1⒚14⒈159
NH 27,38,111A(E); CA133; NY366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr: Click the globe under my avatar

kernals12

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 10:02:39 AM »

1. MA 111 at end of freeway (no traffic light here, but still needs to be modified): Allow turnaround from westbound to eastbound.
2. Taylor Rd./Piper Rd.: RIRO; turning around is available at MA 111 while going westbound (after modification, see #1) and at the 2/119 rotary eastbound.
3. Elm St./Baker Ave. Ext.: RIRO. There will be interchange access at MA 62, which is close enough. Median U-turns might also be helpful here.
5. Old Road to 9 Acre Corner (strange street name): Overpass or underpass with no interchange. It's close enough to MA 62.
6. Sudbury Rd.: Something halfway between a RIRO with median U-turns on MA 2 and a rotary.
8. Bedford Rd.: This is basically already an at-grade interchange. Just grade-separate it.

What's your plan for the Concord rotary? That's by far the worst at-grade intersection.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 04:58:33 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 01:54:27 PM »

What's your plan for the Concord rotary? That's by far the worst at-grade intersection.

My goal above was to remove the traffic signals, which the Concord rotary does not have. As it's a 5-way intersection, a rotary is a good choice. The October (but not September) 2019 Google Street View shows that they clearly marked the outside and inside lanes, making it closer to a modern roundabout. If it really needs to be removed, they could make it a rotary interchange similar to 38/110 in Lowell, but I'm fine with the rotary by itself.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒘1⒚14⒈159
NH 27,38,111A(E); CA133; NY366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr: Click the globe under my avatar

kernals12

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 02:23:35 PM »

My goal above was to remove the traffic signals, which the Concord rotary does not have. As it's a 5-way intersection, a rotary is a good choice. The October (but not September) 2019 Google Street View shows that they clearly marked the outside and inside lanes, making it closer to a modern roundabout. If it really needs to be removed, they could make it a rotary interchange similar to 38/110 in Lowell, but I'm fine with the rotary by itself.

The Concord rotary is one of the most infamous intersections in the state. It's been the scene of many, many accidents. The town has been asking MassDOT for years to replace it with a full bore freeway interchange but the state hasn't found the money. The reason why they built the prison near that rotary is to scare the inmates. That damn thing needs to be destroyed and the ground on which it rests must be salted so nothing may grow.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 02:29:17 PM by kernals12 »

machias

• Last Login: Today at 04:38:25 PM
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 06:07:17 PM »

The Concord rotary is one of the most infamous intersections in the state. It's been the scene of many, many accidents. The town has been asking MassDOT for years to replace it with a full bore freeway interchange but the state hasn't found the money. The reason why they built the prison near that rotary is to scare the inmates. That damn thing needs to be destroyed and the ground on which it rests must be salted so nothing may grow.

I drove through that rotary as part of my commute from 1988-1991 and even back then it was quite the feat. That's when Route 2 still had cross roads between Acton and the rotary.

paul02474

• Last Login: Today at 01:25:29 PM

kernals12

kernals12

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 09:47:57 AM »

I drove through that rotary as part of my commute from 1988-1991 and even back then it was quite the feat. That's when Route 2 still had cross roads between Acton and the rotary.

Since Hanscom Air Force Base is nearby, I suggest they drop a bomb on it.

froggie

• Last Login: January 22, 2021, 05:31:22 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 05:09:27 PM »

There haven't been fighters or bombers based at Hanscomb since 1973.  The base is largely R&D and logistics support.

Fun fact:  the Air Force doesn't actually own the airfield...the state does.  It's considered a general aviation airport and is operated by MassPort.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.