News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I hate this song!

Started by allniter89, October 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: wphiii on October 13, 2014, 05:45:55 PM
Did anyone say "Don't Stop Believing" yet?

That and "Sweet Caroline." Both exist solely for drunk people to scream the lyrics as loud as they possibly can.

Ok, finally I am on board. 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on October 13, 2014, 05:41:49 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 13, 2014, 09:18:36 AM
I'm baffled a little.  The abundant use of "hip-hop" means "rap" might get said less than it once did, but it's not un-PC. 

If you're basing your "rap=R&B" point on the name of the Billboard chart "Rap/R&B,"*  that's just a case of marketing simplification (i.e., most Black music gets lumped in one easy category for sales/airplay measurement purposes).  It does not make the musics one and the same.

* So clumsy an amalgamation is this chart that they have changed the name five times since 1949, going from "Race Records" to "Rhythm & Blues Records," "Soul," "Black," "R&B," and finally "Rap/R&B."  (From the Wikipedia article Race Records)

According to genre classification what comes out now that would have been classified as rap back in the 80's, is just plain R & B. 

One guy I used to work with, he is Jamaican, when trying to educate me on music himself claims that Hip Hop and R & B are the same music.  This was back in 2004 though and he was a listener of 102 Jamz in Orlando and played it out loud in our workplace.

I'm going to keep my own counsel on this rather than that of your former Jamaican co-worker. 

It would help if you gave some examples rather than generalizing, but rap and R&B will still be two different things either way. 

cjk374

What about "Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm" by The Crashtest Dummies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIbcqgXh5-4

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

thenetwork

That and "Sweet Caroline." Both exist solely for drunk people to scream the lyrics as loud as they possibly can.

Speaking of Drinking..."Brandy, youre a Fine Girl" is a stupid song and is well past overkill...

Pete from Boston

Quote from: thenetwork on October 13, 2014, 08:57:48 PM

Speaking of Drinking..."Brandy, youre a Fine Girl" is a stupid song and is well past overkill...

But it's fun to dance to. 

bugo

Quote from: roadman65 on October 13, 2014, 05:41:49 PM
According to genre classification what comes out now that would have been classified as rap back in the 80's, is just plain R & B. 

Name one song that would have been considered rap in the 1980s that is considered R&B today.

One guy I used to work with, he is Jamaican, when trying to educate me on music himself claims that Hip Hop and R & B are the same music.  This was back in 2004 though and he was a listener of 102 Jamz in Orlando and played it out loud in our workplace.

He was wrong.

renegade

Overplayed in the late 80s when it first came out, overplayed following her death:  "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston.  I've been sick of that song since the first time I heard it.

Lou Rawls used to piss my Dad off.  On a road trip across northern Indiana, he'd changed stations three or four times just to get away from old Lou.  Finally, he'd had enough.  First, the knobs came off, then went out the window.  Then, Dad loosened the attaching nuts with his fingers, pushed the radio through the dash of the Impala, reached down and yanked the wires out, then the whole radio went out the window!  Mom was not pleased ... :pan:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

national highway 1

Quote from: renegade on October 14, 2014, 02:49:55 AM
Overplayed in the late 80s when it first came out, overplayed following her death:  "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston.  I've been sick of that song since the first time I heard it.
Actually the Whitney Houston version was released in 1992, as part of The Bodyguard soundtrack.  :pan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Will_Always_Love_You#Whitney_Houston_version
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

bugo

Didn't Houston say something along the lines of "that's now MY song, not Dolly's" when Parton actually wrote the damn thing. FWIW, I'm not a big fan of sentimental country or R&B music, but Dolly's version is far superior.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bugo on October 14, 2014, 07:29:59 AM
Didn't Houston say something along the lines of "that's now MY song, not Dolly's" when Parton actually wrote the damn thing. FWIW, I'm not a big fan of sentimental country or R&B music, but Dolly's version is far superior.

You'll recall that Whitney Houston pretty much mentally fell apart as she got older.  I'll let that stupid comment slide (I agree with you, BTW). 

If Mariah Carey can be said to corroborate, apparently the high notes burn brain cells.

thenetwork

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 14, 2014, 08:25:29 AM

Quote from: bugo on October 14, 2014, 07:29:59 AM

You'll recall that Whitney Houston pretty much mentally fell apart as she got older.  I'll let that stupid comment slide (I agree with you, BTW). 

If Mariah Carey can be said to corroborate, apparently the high notes burn brain cells.

Mariah Carey to me sounds like car brakes & tires screeching all the way down a long, twisted mountain hill.

ARMOURERERIC

Tainted Love Soft Cell :(

elsmere241

Quote from: thenetwork on October 14, 2014, 09:05:16 AMMariah Carey to me sounds like car brakes & tires screeching all the way down a long, twisted mountain hill.

I once heard a DJ demonstrate how she sounds like a fax machine.

agentsteel53

speaking of drinking - probably the stupidest fucking song I can think of is "Baby, it's Cold Outside".  fuck, I hate that horseshit.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

renegade

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 14, 2014, 05:30:08 AMActually the Whitney Houston version was released in 1992, as part of The Bodyguard soundtrack. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Will_Always_Love_You#Whitney_Houston_version

Seems longer.  Still hate it.  Always will.  Not enough ear bleach to wash it away with.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

spooky

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 14, 2014, 04:29:48 PM

speaking of drinking - probably the stupidest fucking song I can think of is "Baby, it's Cold Outside".  fuck, I hate that horseshit.

It is ludicrous that this is played as a Christmas song. Yes, it's tied in with winter, but it's really just a song about a horndog slipping a chick a roofie so he can slip her something else later.

"say, what's in this drink"

another great "Christmas" song? "Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg. A guy and his old girlfriend (now married) run into each other in the grocery store on Christmas Eve. They drink a six pack in her car. Nothing really illustrates the festiveness of the holiday season like a song about an unhappy marriage, loneliness and drunk driving.

KEVIN_224

And we Yankees fans hate "Sweet Caroline" 200%, since that's been a long time Red Sox anthem. Do we have a puking emoticon here? No? Then this will do for now:  :banghead:

spooky

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 15, 2014, 08:08:59 AM
And we Yankees fans hate "Sweet Caroline" 200%, since that's been a long time Red Sox anthem. Do we have a puking emoticon here? No? Then this will do for now:  :banghead:

I'm pretty sure actual Red Sox fans hate it even more.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: spooky on October 15, 2014, 08:10:47 AM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on October 15, 2014, 08:08:59 AM

I'm pretty sure actual Red Sox fans hate it even more.

But it's an integral part of the Red Sox's ten-year tradition of excellence.  [cough, laugh, cough]

hbelkins

Quote from: spooky on October 15, 2014, 07:14:37 AM
It is ludicrous that this is played as a Christmas song. Yes, it's tied in with winter, but it's really just a song about a horndog slipping a chick a roofie so he can slip her something else later.

Why is any song that does not specifically reference Christmas, Santa Claus, the baby Jesus or anything else pertaining to the religious or secular observance on Dec. 25 called a Christmas song?

"Frosty The Snowman," "Jingle Bells," "Winter Wonderland," etc.

I was in a retail establishment over the weekend and "Sweet Caroline" was playing on the PA. There were two women in front of me in one of the aisles who broke out in song -- so to speak -- when the chorus came on. I was unable to assess their level of intoxication, if any.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

I used to hate that song by Quite Riot Cum On Feel The Noise.  Somebody in another thread brought it up, so after forgetting about what we used to call a knock off Heavy Metal band where I grew up at in North Jersey, I could not stand the song.  Yes, I too always thought it was not "girls rock your boys" either.

Then there was Shakira's Your Hips Don't Move that always annoyed me when it came out especially that dude she allowed to perform the song with with his line "No fighting, no fighting" at the beginning in one of the song's many versions.  The way he said it is the same way people in urban areas say "Lets fight, lets fight" and the fact that at the time I heard rumors that Shakira originally recorded it by herself, but this other artist decided to do a mix on his own in both languages English and Spanish.  Although I do credit him for his Espanol as his accent is down perfect for a Haitian who was raised creole.  Most of all those horns at the beginning was horrible to say the least and it was too overplayed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

Billy F 1988

Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

bugo

Cum On Feel The Noize was a Slade song.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on October 19, 2014, 08:39:29 AM
Cum On Feel The Noize was a Slade song.

Yeah, Quiet Riot tried to go to the Slade bank again by covering "Mama Weer All Crazee Now" but it didn't work out quite as well.

And Slade had a bit of a comeback as a result of Quiet Riot doing "Cum On Feel the Noize." Anyone remember "Run Runaway?"

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.