AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Virginia  (Read 869942 times)

Roadrunner75

• Last Login: August 09, 2020, 08:54:23 PM
Re: Virginia
« Reply #5250 on: July 27, 2020, 12:48:30 AM »

At the price that patrons are spending at this place, nothing's going to faze them.
Just looked it up....you're not kidding.

I'd be like this guy in that place...

Jmiles32

• Last Login: August 10, 2020, 10:11:07 PM
« Reply #5251 on: August 01, 2020, 08:08:53 PM »

https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2020/07/commuters-on-busy-us-15-may-get-safety-improvements-in-loudoun-county/:
Loudoun County is studying a 12-mile stretch of southbound U.S. 15 — from Leesburg to the Prince William County line — to determine whether traffic pattern or road configuration improvements could make travel safer.

A virtual public input meeting is being held Thursday evening.

The county is planning to build a roundabout on U.S. 15, at what is currently an intersection with Braddock Road.

In the past decade, several roundabouts have been built in Loudoun County on the highway to replace traffic lights and stop lights, including where U.S. 15 meets U.S. 50 at Gilberts Corner.

The county is already in the midst of acquiring land and designing a project to widen U.S. 15, from two lanes to four in a 5-mile stretch from Battlefield Parkway, north of Leesburg, to Montressor Road, near the town of Lucketts.

Recommendations about roadway and intersection safety, roadway design and traffic will be considered by the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors, while preserving the context of the historical highway.

The county expects the safety study will be completed by summer 2021.

Regardless of widening or reconfiguration contemplated by Loudoun County, changes to U.S. 15 in Prince William County seem less certain.

After years of discussion about a bicounty parkway to increase north-south capacity between Prince William and Loudoun, Prince William County removed the project from its Comprehensive Plan. Last month, an economic recovery task force recommended re-including the project.

I suspect Loudoun decided to study this particular portion of US 15 due to Prince William deciding to once again ax the Bicounty Parkway, which would have extended four lane VA 234 to meet up with Loudouns' future four lane Northstar Blvd corridor. US 15 runs about four miles west of this corridor in Loudoun's Rural zoning area. While I highly doubt we'll see any widening recommendations whether its warrented or not (this stretch of US 15 gets around 15,000 AADT) I suspect instead we'll see more roundabout recommendations at Braddock and Harmony Chruch Road. The current roundabouts at Gilbert's Corner can occasionally get overwhelmed during rush hour periods from what I've seen but I'm not sure if anything will be done about that. Would like to see Prince William do a similar study on their portion (Light at Logmill Road is a problem) because I think better connectivity between Virginia's 2nd and 4th most populous localities is definitely something worth closely looking at. Very pretty road though.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

1995hoo

• Last Login: August 10, 2020, 09:20:05 PM
« Reply #5252 on: August 01, 2020, 09:47:33 PM »

In the past decade, several roundabouts have been built in Loudoun County on the highway to replace traffic lights and stop lights, including where U.S. 15 meets U.S. 50 at Gilberts Corner.

What am I missing here? Is there a difference? (I personally avoid the term "stop light" because if the light is green, you don’t have to stop, but I know many people are not that cautious with their words.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: August 10, 2020, 11:39:52 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #5253 on: August 01, 2020, 11:33:21 PM »

What am I missing here? Is there a difference? (I personally avoid the term "stop light" because if the light is green, you don’t have to stop, but I know many people are not that cautious with their words.)
Maybe a red flashing blinker?

1995hoo

• Last Login: August 10, 2020, 09:20:05 PM
« Reply #5254 on: August 02, 2020, 11:09:23 AM »

I can’t think of any such lights along that road, but maybe one was introduced in the past year or two.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jmiles32

« Reply #5255 on: August 02, 2020, 05:24:46 PM »

I can’t think of any such lights along that road, but maybe one was introduced in the past year or two.
Weren't any on the road when I last traveled on it back in July. My guess is that to the general public, stop light and traffic light mean the same thing and yet many people only refer to them by one or the other. The article was probably trying to avoid confusion but ironically did exactly the opposite by including both terms.

Jmiles32

« Reply #5256 on: August 07, 2020, 07:42:58 PM »

Looks like the 28 bypass (Godwin Drive Extension) is dead (for now...) and that VA-28 from the Bull Run to Liberia Avenue will be widened to six lanes:
https://www.insidenova.com/news/transportation/prince_william/prince-william-county-supervisors-reject-route-28-bypass/article_79fea08a-d662-11ea-bf98-b329beaba1d4.html
After securing $300 million and spending years developing a bypass for busy Va. Route 28, the Prince William Board of County Supervisors rejected the proposal Tuesday night, leaving any fix for Manassas-area commuters in limbo.
The Prince William Board of County Supervisors voted 8-0 at its meeting to deny staff’s recommendation to move to the design phase of the project.

In a subsequent vote, the board voted 8-0 to endorse widening Route 28. County staff estimate that widening the road from four to six lanes would require an additional $100 million.

Supervisor Yesli Vega, who represents the Coles District that is home to the road, announced Monday she doesn’t support the proposed bypass due to its impacts on residents and the environment, among other reasons.

“This option will not alleviate traffic congestion on 28 from where it is today,” Vega said in an email to InsideNoVa. “Due to the negligible traffic impact, combined with the environmental, fiscal and human impact my constituents will face by being forcefully removed from their homes, I cannot support this proposal.”

County staff had backed the bypass, saying it would reduce congestion in the busy commuter corridor between Manassas and Centreville, improve access to transit and provide pedestrian and bicycle facilities.

Property Impacts   Bypass Route   Widening
Total Impacted                72               185
Residential Displaced        54                7
Commercial Displaced      5                       79
Total Cost                 $300 million   $400 million

County staff estimate Va. Route 28 will see an increase from the 50,500 daily traffic count in 2018. Without any project build, Route 28 from Liberia Avenue to Orchard Bridge Dr. will see an estimated 75,000 daily traffic count. Staff estimated traffic count on that stretch of Route 28 with the proposed extension project would see about 62,500 daily traffic count in 2040, while widening the road is estimated to increase daily traffic count to 85,000, according to the county.

While the massive number of residential impacts were likely the nail in the coffin, in my opinion those traffic estimates also contributed because even with the bypass, things on VA-28 were only gonna get worse. Was never convinced that the bypass was actually going to take current traffic off of VA-28. Still however, an 85,000 daily traffic count by 2040 doesn't look too good either so in addition to widening VA-28, if I were VDOT, PWCDOT, NVTA, etc, I would also seriously consider adding interchanges at both New Braddock Road and Comption Road, prioritization of the Sudley Manor interchange on the VA-234 bypass with the possibility of six lane widening there, and finally, dare I say, traffic improvements on Yates Ford Road and Henderson Road through Clifton (Don't worry no widening, only straightening out some curves and some roundabouts). Still, wouldn't be surpised if even that idea is opposed by the NIMBYS there though.

Also, it was brought to my attention that $400 million for the widening might be a bit of an overestimation due to the portion of VA-28 through Manassas Park already being six lanes divided. Not clear to me if that section had been accounted for. Will also be interesting to see where that extra funding comes from ($300 million was what they had saved up). Either way, I think this was ultimately the right decision and just hope that other improvements are also made in addition by 2040.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.