AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-73 in VA  (Read 106121 times)

tjcreasy

• Last Login: February 22, 2020, 11:24:19 AM
Re: I-73 in VA
« Reply #750 on: January 17, 2020, 06:06:36 PM »

Martinsville has strong economic ties to the Triad. I believe this will be the only section of I-73 built in the foreseeable future. I-73 will help provide some economic relief to Martinsville in the same way I-785 provides relief to Danville.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 12:46:35 PM
« Reply #751 on: January 17, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »

Martinsville has strong economic ties to the Triad. I believe this will be the only section of I-73 built in the foreseeable future. I-73 will help provide some economic relief to Martinsville in the same way I-785 provides relief to Danville.
Agreed, but let's see if they can even build this 6 mile connection. It's currently estimated at $616 million, roughly $103 million per mile. Construction of this segment though would likely give way to North Carolina extending their I-73 portion to the state line, tying into this connector, and extending the I-73 designation ultimately to the existing Martinsville bypass, and potentially along it to its north end after needed upgrades are completed.

LM117

• Last Login: February 21, 2020, 11:11:16 AM
« Reply #752 on: January 17, 2020, 07:38:17 PM »

They also said if after the final EIS is issued the CTB will cancel this approval if a project related to this route is not fully funded within 3 years of the EIS is issued.
Knowing the snail's pace I-73 has been through Virginia... actually none of I-73 in Virginia has been constructed... it'll be at least a decade until this is funded.

Especially after the results of last November's elections. The new majority isn't gonna be eager to kick a few pennies towards I-73 in rural SW VA...
I dont know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch! - Jim Cornette

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 08:13:53 AM
« Reply #753 on: January 17, 2020, 10:39:03 PM »

They also said if after the final EIS is issued the CTB will cancel this approval if a project related to this route is not fully funded within 3 years of the EIS is issued.
Hmmm they have never done that before AFAIK.

Knowing the snail's pace I-73 has been through Virginia... actually none of I-73 in Virginia has been constructed... it'll be at least a decade until this is funded.
If they decide to use a route west of Martinsville then 22 miles is already built, 12 miles of the US-220 bypass and 10 miles of I-581 and the Southwest Expressway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to rest, and resting died.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 08:13:53 AM
« Reply #754 on: January 17, 2020, 10:42:46 PM »

Especially after the results of last November's elections. The new majority isn't gonna be eager to kick a few pennies towards I-73 in rural SW VA...
Hah!  If they have their way, count on massive tax increases overall and $500 million to $1 billion more per year in highway funding.  Hello roads like I-73.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to rest, and resting died.

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 10:45:21 AM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #755 on: January 17, 2020, 10:53:11 PM »

Hmmm they have never done that before AFAIK.

I don't recall reading something like this in the modern era either.

They did used to do things like this back in the 1930s though...

sprjus4

« Reply #756 on: January 18, 2020, 12:44:32 AM »

If they decide to use a route west of Martinsville then 22 miles is already built, 12 miles of the US-220 bypass and 10 miles of I-581 and the Southwest Expressway.
Weve been over this before.... those 22 miles were pre-existing US-220 arterial bypasses, and an urban interstate highway segment built long before I-73 became a thing. No construction for I-73 specifically has occurred. The Martinsville Southern Connector, if ever funded, would be the first of this.

Hah!  If they have their way, count on massive tax increases overall and $500 million to $1 billion more per year in highway funding.  Hello roads like I-73.
If the money is used properly, and highway projects such as interstate widenings and new corridor projects are accelerated developed throughout the state, then Im all for the increases in taxes. North Carolina has higher taxes, and has an expansive system of interstates and freeways outside the 1956 and 1968 allocations, along with a expansive 4-lane arterial system, and major interstate widening projects completed over the last 40 years.  I would gladly pay more to have higher quality roadways constructed here in Virginia at a larger scale.

LM117

« Reply #757 on: January 18, 2020, 11:18:31 AM »

If the money is used properly, and highway projects such as interstate widenings and new corridor projects are accelerated developed throughout the state, then Im all for the increases in taxes. North Carolina has higher taxes, and has an expansive system of interstates and freeways outside the 1956 and 1968 allocations, along with a expansive 4-lane arterial system, and major interstate widening projects completed over the last 40 years.  I would gladly pay more to have higher quality roadways constructed here in Virginia at a larger scale.

Same here. My skepticism is whether or not any of that funding would be steered over this way, rather than towards areas that already have superior roads. I think hbelkins complained about the same thing in Kentucky.

Hell, the northbound US-29 bridge over the Banister River just south of Tightsqueeze has been reduced to one lane because of the shape it's in and we're told there wouldn't be funding to replace it until 2021.

Strider

• Last Login: February 01, 2020, 09:51:48 PM
« Reply #758 on: January 19, 2020, 01:48:54 AM »

CTB has approved alternative C for the Southern Connector

http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2020/jan/res/20.pdf

They also directed VDOT to see if tweaks can be made to accommodate the feedback on that routing.

Great! That is a good news. I can see it being funded within 3 years, especially if CTB approves it. Don't be surprised if this road is being constructed in segments instead of the whole thing.

I have the feeling it will be from US 220/Future I-73 at the NC border to future MSC interchange will be constructed first. (2 miles)

They also think that I-73 should be routed on MSC, and I do agree. Much easier that way. If it does become I-73, it will temporarily end in or north of Martinsville for a long time.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 01:52:20 AM by Strider »

sparker

• Last Login: February 22, 2020, 04:27:40 PM
« Reply #759 on: January 19, 2020, 01:53:46 AM »

Hell, the northbound US-29 bridge over the Banister River just south of Tightsqueeze has been reduced to one lane because of the shape it's in and we're told there wouldn't be funding to replace it until 2021.

When I saw the community name of Tightsqueeze, I just had to look it up on GE to see just WTF it was -- apparently right in LM117's back yard!  Not to make light of an obviously sad situation regarding allocation of funding, but if a roadway was to be narrowed to address an obviously old and substandard bridge, a more appropriately named location couldn't exist!  Now I can understand why some politicos tend to direct money to more urban areas despite the usual redundancy of facilities -- that's where most of the population (including constituents) resides.  But to effectively turn one's back on more rural areas -- particularly in regards to facilities that funnel traffic toward and away from those denser regions getting the attention and subsequent funding -- is, if etched in de facto policy to the point that neglect in the ignored areas produces problematic results -- an exercise in foolishness!   Transportation is more than mere supplication of commuter effectiveness -- some sort of balanced approach needs to be not only considered but actually applied; it's in the best interests of all parties across both urban and rural environments.

LM117

« Reply #760 on: January 19, 2020, 08:09:24 AM »

When I saw the community name of Tightsqueeze, I just had to look it up on GE to see just WTF it was -- apparently right in LM117's back yard!

Pretty much. I'm less than 10 miles from it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:15:29 AM by LM117 »

sprjus4

« Reply #761 on: February 20, 2020, 06:23:37 PM »

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/salem/martinsville_southern_connector_study.asp

The DEIS (Draft Environmental Impact Statement) will be released on March 6, 2020.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.