News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida Toll Roads

Started by Guysdrive780, November 16, 2014, 06:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

"Basically, extend FL 91 to Tallahassee, and extend FL 589 to Jacksonville. If there is a desired limited-access connection from Ocala to Jacksonville, then one can take I-75 Northbound to the extended FL 589 in Gainesville. That way, both Ocala and Gainesville could have an efficient limited-access connection to Jacksonville. I think these proposals create a solution here."

Adventurernumber1, that's a good solution.
C-o-H

FLRoads

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on November 17, 2014, 08:45:47 PM
Quote from: 02 Park Ave on November 17, 2014, 08:24:54 PM
A spur of the Florida Turnpike should be built from Ocala to Jacksonville.  Are there any plans being developed?

Though this isn't desperately needed, I just came up with a solution to both this and also the possibility of FL 91 (the Turnpike) being extended to Tallahassee.

I have come up with two route proposals for extensions to both FL 91 and FL 589 (btw I don't think this is going too off-topic since the title of the thread is "Florida Toll Roads," heh): http://prntscr.com/57i08m

Basically, extend FL 91 to Tallahassee, and extend FL 589 to Jacksonville. If there is a desired limited-access connection from Ocala to Jacksonville, then one can take I-75 Northbound to the extended FL 589 in Gainesville. That way, both Ocala and Gainesville could have an efficient limited-access connection to Jacksonville. I think these proposals create a solution here.

Your fictional proposal for the extension of Florida 589 is actually in line with the once proposed Tampa to Jacksonville Turnpike from back in the late 1980s. FDOT wanted to add over 800 miles of limited access highways at the time, with the Tampa-Jacksonville route being one of them. It was shot down though because of strong opposition of the alignment running through environmentally sensitive areas as well as several NIMBY communities speaking their mind (namely in Alachua and Marion counties).

Though it never came to fruition, a piece of the route did get constructed, namely the Suncoast Parkway. Florida 589 does closely follow what would have been the southern portion of the toll facility. The First Coast Outer Beltway (Florida 23), currently being modified and constructed in Duval and Clay Counties, is along the northern piece of what would have been the Tampa-Jacksonville Turnpike.

Guysdrive780

Ok, There is an investigation about how you can be overcharged on Florida Toll Roads.
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/some-sections-of-toll-roads-more-costly-than-others/26083740
They say you should use it for long distant Travels. Then that would make no since because people have to drive to avoid something. Bad
I run the DOT Youtube Channel, Part time Worker for TXDOT, College Student studying Civil Engineering (Traffic Engineering). Please Keep in mind, I do not represent TXDOT and all opinions I say are my own and not TXDOT's

NE2

Quote from: Guysdrive780 on November 18, 2014, 10:45:59 PM
Ok, I can't correctly parse what I read.
This happens with all barrier-system toll roads: if you get on just before the barrier and get off just after, unless there's some sort of refund system (like in Oklahoma) you end up paying more per mile.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.