News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Multiplexes known by both numbers

Started by jwolfer, December 14, 2014, 05:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

80-94 for the Borman Expressway in NW Indiana (I-80/94).
90-94 is also used for the Ryan and Kennedy Expressways in addition to the section in Wisconsin.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TEG24601

In the vicinity of Delphi, IN, there are both a duplex and triplex, and used to be a quadplex.  So there is "421/39" for US 421, SR 29; then when 18 joins the fray, 421/39/18, and prior to the bypass for SR-25 being build around downtown, if was a tossup between Main Street, 25 or 421/25/39/18.  This is how I usually heard them referred to.  However, the other duplexes Monticello, are called 24, without 421 or 39 during their duplexes.

There is also a section of SR 99 near Federal Way, WA, what duplexes with SR 509.  I always make a point of using both names, to differentiate it from other sections of road.  Many people I know do the same, but I'm not sure it is widespread.

They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

clong

I-20/59 is always referred to by both numbers in Birmingham and west Alabama (twenty fifty-nine). The eastern split is near the airport just northeast of downtown.

OTOH, US 31/280 which share pavement for the last couple of miles at 280's northern end are rarely referred to by either number. They are simply called the "Red Mountain Expressway".

odditude

OCGuy81

1 and 9 in NJ is the only time I've seen an ampersand used on a shield (1 & 9).  Is this practice used a lot in NJ? I've only been in northern NJ just outside NYC.

NE2

Quote from: lepidopteran on December 15, 2014, 11:59:38 AM
Not sure what the US 6/40 multiplex west of Denver was called by locals before I-70 was built, but there's a "6&40 Motel" in Idaho Springs, CO.

https://plus.google.com/116479534852409106680/about?gl=us&hl=en

Apparently 6-24 is the same way, at least on road signs.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

signalman

Quote from: OCGuy81 on December 15, 2014, 02:30:31 PM
1 and 9 in NJ is the only time I've seen an ampersand used on a shield (1 & 9).  Is this practice used a lot in NJ? I've only been in northern NJ just outside NYC.
No.  This is the only route where an ampersand might be used on a shield.  I've also seen 1-9 on a single shield , as well as two standalone 1 and 9 US shields next to each other.

pianocello

In St. Louis, I know of at least a few people that call I-64 "sixty four forty." I'm sure there's a generation gap with that one, though. If I were to move there, I would call it "64", and I'm sure many people that have lived in that area for years still call it "40".
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Pete from Boston

Quote from: odditude on December 15, 2014, 02:16:29 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 14, 2014, 11:35:29 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on December 14, 2014, 09:42:36 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 14, 2014, 05:38:20 PM
trimmed...

Also US 1-9 in northern NJ.
FTFU

But if you wanted to pronounce it correctly, it'd be "1in9" (must be that North Jersey accent).
1'n'9.

I've heard "truck one nine" plenty of times for the bypass over Communipaw.  I don't know if anybody calls it "truck one and nine." 

NE2

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 15, 2014, 05:46:56 PM
I've heard "truck one nine" plenty of times for the bypass over Communipaw.  I don't know if anybody calls it "truck one and nine." 
There's barely any difference between one-n-nine and onnnnnnnine.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Road Hog

US 67-167 north and east of Little Rock.

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 14, 2014, 05:57:07 PM
MA 4 & 225 in Lexington & Bedford.
Recently, I've noted that many of the traffic reporters have taken to calling the road only as Route 4, at least during rush hour broadcasts.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on December 15, 2014, 06:11:57 PM
Recently, I've noted that many of the traffic reporters have taken to calling the road only as Route 4, at least during rush hour broadcasts.
Interesting; that was where I always heard it referred to as 4 & 225 for years.

Is a truncation of MA 225 to MA 4 in Bedford in the works?   :)  It would be a shame to revamp those newly-erected BGS' along I-95.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on December 15, 2014, 05:53:14 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 15, 2014, 05:46:56 PM
There's barely any difference between one-n-nine and onnnnnnnine.

It's a subtle difference, for sure. But sometimes people will say "one nine" so distinctly that there is no question.

Is this limited to real multiplexes? If not, "80-95" in New Jersey, a fiction at least the traffic reporters keep alive.

DTComposer

L.A. traffic reporters will often refer to "The 60/215." The only other "multiplex" (technically in California they only have one route number, the other route being discontinuous between the multiplex) I can think of in the area is 405/22, which always is referred to as just the 405.

I wonder what they called the U.S. 60/70/99 stretch of the San Bernardino Freeway back in the day?

Eth

"Nineteen forty-one" for the US highways south of Atlanta toward Griffin.

The High Plains Traveler

The street carrying the strangely discontinuous U.S. 85-87 in Fountain and Security, Colorado (doesn't actually connect back to I-25 on the north end) is named "Highway 85-87" and you often hear addresses using this. But, it's only marked as U.S. 85 since Colorado often only marks one route of a concurrent segment.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

PurdueBill

I think I recall the NC 24-27 multiplex being called "highway 24-27" at least in Albemarle; I believe addresses refer to it that way. 

Alex4897

The US 13 / 40 multiplex in New Castle DE might fall into this category, I feel like I hear both "thirteen forty" and "thirteen" used for this stretch of highway.
👉😎👉

dfwmapper

Quote from: Henry on December 15, 2014, 11:44:13 AM
I-80/I-90 between Chicago and Cleveland (although I-80 goes through neither city)
I-71/I-75 south of Cincinnati
I-70/I-76 on the Penna Turnpike
I'd say that the Indiana Toll Road, Ohio Turnpike, and Pennsylvania Turnpike are know far more by their names than their numbers and thus don't count.

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 15, 2014, 06:28:11 PM
Quote from: roadman on December 15, 2014, 06:11:57 PM
Interesting; that was where I always heard it referred to as 4 & 225 for years.

Is a truncation of MA 225 to MA 4 in Bedford in the works?   :)  It would be a shame to revamp those newly-erected BGS' along I-95.
MassDOT has no plans to truncate MA 225.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

sandwalk

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 16, 2014, 01:32:01 AM
I-80/I-90 between Chicago and Cleveland (although I-80 goes through neither city)
I'd say that the Indiana Toll Road, Ohio Turnpike, and Pennsylvania Turnpike are know far more by their names than their numbers and thus don't count.

I'd have to agree.  Most of the locals call it "The Turnpike."  Every once in a while (from an Ohioan's perspective) you might hear "Eighty-Ninety" or even just "Eighty" or "I-Eighty" (including the multiplexed section west of Elyria).

thenetwork

On the west side of Grand Junction, CO, the "main drag" is known as "Highway 6 & 50" for US-6 & US-50 which traverse it, even though CDOT signs it primarily as BL-70, which also multiplexes it.

theline

Quote from: sandwalk on December 16, 2014, 10:45:50 AM
Quote from: dfwmapper on December 16, 2014, 01:32:01 AM

I'd have to agree.  Most of the locals call it "The Turnpike."  Every once in a while (from an Ohioan's perspective) you might hear "Eighty-Ninety" or even just "Eighty" or "I-Eighty" (including the multiplexed section west of Elyria).

In the South Bend area, 80/90 is universally known as "the Toll Road." Whenever advertisements refer to a business being near I-80 or I-90, we know that the copy was written by an outsider.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on December 16, 2014, 09:24:30 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on December 15, 2014, 06:28:11 PMIs a truncation of MA 225 to MA 4 in Bedford in the works?   :)  It would be a shame to revamp those newly-erected BGS' along I-95.
MassDOT has no plans to truncate MA 225.
I guess you missed my earlier-posted :) ; meaning I was posting the above in jest.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.