AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I-66 HO/T Lanes  (Read 93642 times)

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 09:41:22 PM
Re: I-66 HO/T Lanes
« Reply #500 on: June 15, 2021, 02:54:02 PM »

I just liked the overhead view of the ramps taking shape:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 09:41:22 PM
« Reply #501 on: June 15, 2021, 06:45:56 PM »

Seen on the 6:00 news just now. The Beltway towards Tysons runs north at the top center of the image.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: Today at 09:34:28 AM
« Reply #502 on: August 02, 2021, 12:49:04 PM »

WTOP Radio: Transform 66 project on schedule for 2022 completion

Driving either direction on Interstate 66 west of Interstate 495, it’s impossible to miss the work on the 22.5-mile stretch of highway. But managers of the $3.7 billion Transform 66 project say work has never been moving faster.

Currently, about $60 million of work is being done every month and nearly 2,000 workers are on the job every day according to Susan Shaw, the Virginia Department of Transportation’s regional transportation program director for Northern Virginia. “So there’s a lot happening,” she said.

Along most of the corridor, the focus is completing work toward the outside of the highway, so that traffic can then be diverted there while the toll lanes on the inside are being completed. That level of work is expected to continue through the fall, depending on the weather.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bluecountry

• Last Login: September 22, 2021, 10:54:43 PM
« Reply #503 on: August 22, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »

So it seems that at the Rt 29/I-66 interchange, the RT 29 underpass will be widened in width so as to have the space to allow a 3rd southbound auxiliary lane.  However, such a project is not part of the I-66 HOT and would be undertaken by either FCDOT or VDOT.

Are there any immediate plans by FCDOT or VDOT to have a 3rd SB RT 29 lane to prevent the massive bottleneck which occurs, as 29 goes quickly from 4 to 2 lanes before adding a short I-66 W exit lane?
I can't understand why FCDOT or VDOT would not prioritize and coordinate this to coincide with the completion of I-66.  It is not like it is a long expensive project.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.