AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Double Lane Drive Thrus  (Read 952 times)

Roadrunner75

• Last Login: Today at 09:03:51 PM
Re: Double Lane Drive Thrus
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2020, 04:30:51 PM »

Somewhat off topic, but could we see fast food chains build drive-thru only locations?

A McDonald's outside of Fort Lewis, Washington used to be drive-thru only, using limited space available.  2008 Street View.  They've since expanded to a normal McDonald's.
There's also such a thing as a McDonald's Express which has walk-in service but no dining area. They are mainly attached to gas stations.

McDonald's Express was big for a while, in the late 1990s.  Perhaps seeing how Subway is able to squeeze in to small locations, McDonald's tried the same thing, slipping into strip mall store fronts with no drive-thru.  They had a limited menu: no Quarter Pounders.  Only Big Macs and Hamburgers/Cheeseburgers.  No shakes.  This was the first McDonald's where you could draw your own soft drink.  The Downtown Bremerton, Washington full-service McDonald's closed and an Express opened the next block over.  When the Express concept died or got scaled drastically back, Downtown Bremerton no longer had a McDonald's, which is an interesting feat for a chain that claims to have very few locations close due to lack of business.  They carried over customers drawing their own soft drinks to the main restaurants, but it seemed like another bad idea to come along after the Arch Deluxe.
There's the problem right there.  How did they expect to survive without Quarter Pounders and Shakes?  There would go our business...

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 09:25:07 PM
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2020, 07:38:27 AM »

Checkers is the original but you have to have power windows on your passenger side or have that seat occupied.

Iím curious how many cars there are these days, other than older cars still on the road, that donít have power windows.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
óOlaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"óKolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ilpt4u

• Last Login: Today at 09:43:37 PM
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2020, 07:49:39 AM »

Checkers is the original but you have to have power windows on your passenger side or have that seat occupied.

Iím curious how many cars there are these days, other than older cars still on the road, that donít have power windows.
A lot of work vehicles/trucks do not. Every work truck/van I have driven in my Telecom career has hand-crank windows, to this day

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

• Last Login: Today at 01:27:17 PM
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2020, 08:28:37 AM »

Whataburger and Sonics around here at peak hours have you pull into a second designated space alongside the pickup window and bring your food out to you. Not quite a double lane drive thru, but I guess it counts.
Dairy Queen does something similar that I've never seen at any other drive thru: if you pull up to the pick-up window, and your order is not ready by the time you've paid, they have you pull ahead to a designated point and bring your order out when it's ready. That way, they can continue to serve the people behind you, and the line keeps moving. Smart on their part, although a bit counter intuitive to do that and still call it "fast food"... I guess that's why their mantra is "fan food, not fast food"!

I see a lot of chains around here, not just Dairy Queen, doing that if there is enough space available. A local McDonalds had 2 or 3 designated spots, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, McDonalds often has designated parking spots, but Dairy Queen is a bit different. It's not actual parking spots, its just a spot to pull up and wait about two car lengths past the normal pick up window.
Left Lane is For Passing, Not Camping!

debragga

• Last Login: Today at 08:19:30 PM
« Reply #54 on: Today at 01:12:58 PM »

Whataburger and Sonics around here at peak hours have you pull into a second designated space alongside the pickup window and bring your food out to you. Not quite a double lane drive thru, but I guess it counts.

Dairy Queen does something similar that I've never seen at any other drive thru: if you pull up to the pick-up window, and your order is not ready by the time you've paid, they have you pull ahead to a designated point and bring your order out when it's ready. That way, they can continue to serve the people behind you, and the line keeps moving. Smart on their part, although a bit counter intuitive to do that and still call it "fast food"... I guess that's why their mantra is "fan food, not fast food"!

I see a lot of chains around here, not just Dairy Queen, doing that if there is enough space available. A local McDonalds had 2 or 3 designated spots, if I remember correctly.

When I worked at Raising Cane's, we called that "pulling" the car. We in the kitchen would say "pull em!" if it was an order that we knew would take a while, especially if there was a smaller order right behind them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.