AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: US 33 Freeway Conversion - Columbus to Lancaster  (Read 16240 times)

tdindy88

• Last Login: Today at 05:48:40 PM
Re: US 33 Freeway Conversion - Columbus to Lancaster
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 03:13:23 AM »

Wish Indiana could do that.

PurdueBill

• Last Login: October 13, 2017, 12:55:03 AM
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 05:21:19 PM »

By enhanced mile markers, do we mean the blue ones with shield and 2/10 mileage?  If so, they are out there in Ohio in many places on US and state routes and have been for a while.  I've seen them on US 35, OH 8, US 422, OH 315 to name a few.  (315 even has a few odd-tenth ones.)  These predated exit numbering even.

Yes but I'm pretty sure putting them on conventional surface streets is new.

Yeah, this is the one vtk's referring to - they go down College as well, joining up with the freeway portion. I've not seen them in that setting anywhere else.

[image removeed]

I didn't know that stretch was even state-maintained. Thought Livingston, Main, and Broad were entirely local maintenance.

As I understand it, that should be local maintenance. But that doesn't mean ODOT can't erect signs in cooperation with the local jurisdictions.

ODOT in Region 4 did go on a kick a couple years ago placing the small white mile markers that reset at county lines on non-state-maintained sections of numbered routes.  All the routes (18, 261, 59, 91, 241, etc.) passing through Akron, Fairlawn, Cuyahoga Falls, etc. got them.  (Some nearly instantly became bases for other signs--for example, AKTE right away used the u-channel post for OH 18 mile marker 6 to attach another sign post to so now the mile marker isn't visible correctly in both directions. 

Now indeed, I wonder why INDOT can't be allowed to reach some understanding where state route numbers can be blazed over city streets with city maintenance.  It would beat the crap with routes like 25 and 26 randomly starting and ending.  (Although the reaction of some to the West Lafayette State Street stuff included comments like "now that we're free of the state on this, we can do what we want at last!" makes me think that maybe enough people don't WANT the routes continuous...)

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: Today at 01:19:48 PM
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 08:34:48 PM »

Any update on the Carroll interchange? I can't seem to find much about what progress has been made since the project got underway in the spring.
When it comes to volume, the Ohio River is not a tributary. The Upper Mississippi is.

vtk

• she pronouns please

• Last Login: October 18, 2017, 03:24:24 AM
    • Vid's Space
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 11:22:58 AM »

I don't go that way for work as frequently as I used to, but as of the fall, it looked like the work was progressing steadily.
Look, over by the restrooms! It's a girl! It's a boy! No, it's Captain Enby!

…Do you think they're trying to decide which one to use?

GCrites80s

• Last Login: October 05, 2017, 08:00:07 AM
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 08:57:32 PM »

Yes, steady progress. It's still in the grading phase; no bridge beams down yet.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2016, 09:14:57 AM »

Just noticed you can see the Carroll project underway in the current Google maps aerial and street view pics.

District 5 is not good about posting updates to the project page or even on Facebook
When it comes to volume, the Ohio River is not a tributary. The Upper Mississippi is.

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 10:42:19 AM
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2016, 10:29:32 AM »

Just noticed you can see the Carroll project underway in the current Google maps aerial and street view pics.

District 5 is not good about posting updates to the project page or even on Facebook

Now, to properly redo that part between I-70 and I-270 (southeast) . . . .

(yea, we can all dream   :spin:  )

Mike

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: Today at 05:44:02 PM
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »

Mike

Not gonna happen. Rebuild plans have them keeping the signal.
Josh Schmid, E.I.T.
Ph.D. Student and Research Assistant, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vtk

• she pronouns please

• Vid's Space
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2016, 12:15:34 PM »

Mike

That section is within the scope of a study covering a portion of I-70. Last I saw alternatives for that one, there was one which was very impressive.  While still technically retaining the Petzinger Rd signal on US 33, the ramps between I-70 towards Downtown and US-33 towards Lancaster would fly over that intersection in that alternative.

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: Today at 05:44:02 PM
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2016, 12:32:34 PM »

Mike

That section is within the scope of a study covering a portion of I-70. Last I saw alternatives for that one, there was one which was very impressive.  While still technically retaining the Petzinger Rd signal on US 33, the ramps between I-70 towards Downtown and US-33 towards Lancaster would fly over that intersection in that alternative.

That was my point. I actually like that alternative, as it preserves the freeway-freeway connection. Actually, I like ODOT's plans for I-70 between downtown and SR 204. It'll do a lot to solve the issues in that area.
Josh Schmid, E.I.T.
Ph.D. Student and Research Assistant, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: Today at 04:26:52 PM
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2016, 04:31:48 PM »

That was my point. I actually like that alternative, as it preserves the freeway-freeway connection. Actually, I like ODOT's plans for I-70 between downtown and SR 204. It'll do a lot to solve the issues in that area.

I guess ODOT might be inspired by the freeway-freeway connection of I-680 and US-6/West Dodge Road at Omaha. http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=41.26479,-96.08275&z=15&t=S

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 11:00:14 PM »

District 5 has been posting some pics of the Carroll project lately on facebook, here's the most recent post: https://www.facebook.com/ODOTD5/posts/1177470612294077

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:28:37 PM by Buck87 »

GCrites80s

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2016, 08:21:29 PM »

That picture is at least a month old since the beams on the other side of the overpass are now down. The approach on the right is much further along as well.

GCrites80s

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2016, 01:22:10 PM »

The McDonalds at the new interchange has rage-closed. Looking like a month or two until project completion.

vtk

• she pronouns please

• Vid's Space
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2016, 01:32:49 PM »

It's a shame my job doesn't take me this way anymore…

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2017, 02:41:35 PM »

So apparently traffic has been using the new interchange at Carroll since the middle of November. Anyone been through there yet?

GCrites80s

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2017, 09:18:01 PM »

Yes, I'm through there 5 days a week. It took me until Friday to actually use the interchange though. Barriers on 33 still need finished and I imagine 33 through there will be repaved once the asphalt plants re-open for the year. The asphalt has that awkward look and feel of having a project done on it without any more work done on the surface itself. Also, more lighting is yet to be installed. I think all the signage has been installed except for little stuff like mileage markers and cryptic inventory stuff.

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 10:42:19 AM
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »

I guess ODOT might be inspired by the freeway-freeway connection of I-680 and US-6/West Dodge Road at Omaha. http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=41.26479,-96.08275&z=15&t=S

I'd love to see a map of this proposal.

:nod:

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.