News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Hazmat signs - "HC" vs. "HM"

Started by Pink Jazz, July 02, 2015, 11:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I have noticed that here in the Phoenix area, some of the older signs with the legend "HC" (for Hazardous Cargo) in a green circle or crossed red circle have now been replaced by new signs with the legend "HM" (for Hazardous Materials).

I wonder, is this also occurring elsewhere?  Does the MUTCD prescribe "HM" over "HC"?  If so, is there any reason why "HM" would be preferable?

Greybear

I've seen that same switch from "HC" to "HM" in the Dallas-Ft Worth area as well.

vtk

This change has also been observed in Columbus.

Anyone sufficiently unlazy to look for this in MUTCD or other policy documents?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman

The change from HC to HM on the R13 series Hazmat markers was made in the 2003 MUTCD.  It appears the change was made to bring signing into conformance with industry standard terminology, which is Hazardous Materials - not Hazardous Cargoes.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.