AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: It's time to revive the northern half of I-840  (Read 31745 times)

Daniel Fiddler

• https://dfroads.webador.com/

• Last Login: October 17, 2021, 05:23:22 PM
    • DF Roads
Re: It's time to revive the northern half of I-840
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2021, 05:47:26 PM »

Indeed.  From most to least utilized, the spokes are:

I-24 E, and it stays overcrowded all the way to I-75 in Chattanooga
I-65 N, and it stays overcrowded to the Kentucky line, where theyíve 6 lanes it
I-65 S, itís heavy until TN 96 Franklin, MAYBE Saturn Parkway, then it dies down a lot
I-40 E, itís heaviest to Lebanon, but stays busy all the way to I-81
I-40 W, it is really not that busy for local traffic past Charlotte Pike usually, mostly long-distance
I-24 W: almost no traffic, completely opposite of I-24 E

sparker

• Last Login: September 12, 2021, 12:44:33 AM
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2021, 06:44:18 PM »

Indeed.  From most to least utilized, the spokes are:

I-24 E, and it stays overcrowded all the way to I-75 in Chattanooga
I-65 N, and it stays overcrowded to the Kentucky line, where theyíve 6 lanes it
I-65 S, itís heavy until TN 96 Franklin, MAYBE Saturn Parkway, then it dies down a lot
I-40 E, itís heaviest to Lebanon, but stays busy all the way to I-81
I-40 W, it is really not that busy for local traffic past Charlotte Pike usually, mostly long-distance
I-24 W: almost no traffic, completely opposite of I-24 E

Right.  The perennial issue with the underutilized I-24 corridor NW of Nashville is the fact that isn't part of a particularly useful commercial corridor to anywhere except St. Louis.  Chicago and environs, the "800-pound-gorilla" of commercial origin/destination points in the upper Midwest, really doesn't have a completely direct route to Chattanooga and, of course, Atlanta and Florida beyond that; the I-57/24 combination just adds too much mileage due to the lateral/E-W section in KY.  Truckers use I-65 because it's there and the "best of a bad lot" for that purpose -- and because of that, there's plenty of truck-related amenities situated along that corridor.  Venturing into the fictional realm for a second or two, an upgraded corridor more or less along US 41 via Terre Haute connecting I-69 and Evansville with either I-65 or I-57 near Chicago might, via I-69/169 in KY, provide such a direct connection; it would be a safe guess that the commercial traffic level on the aforementioned section of I-24 would increase dramatically.  Hell, truck tolls could even help pay for the I-69 Ohio River bridge project!   

I-55

• Midwesterner and Southerner

• Last Login: October 18, 2021, 08:28:23 PM
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2021, 09:56:50 PM »

The Northeast link would exist if the TN-109 speed limit wasn't set at 55. It should be 65 in most places.
The real Golden Triangle is in east-central Mississippi. Any other "golden triangle" is just a copycat.

Roundabouts are proof that people can still mess up no matter how simple a concept can be.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.