AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ohio  (Read 17782 times)

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:32 PM
Re: Ohio
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2017, 02:54:10 AM »

Having traveled OH 32 east-to-west, my impression was that east of US 23 the overall "feel" of both the area and the people residing in that area was a virtual western extension of West Virginia.  Once past US 23, it had more of the "classic Midwest" vibe -- particularly from about Peebles west into metro Cincinnati.  As an aside, the northern Kentucky 'burbs of Cincinnati share that same Midwestern feel as does Cincinnati itself; I can't say the same for the remainder of the state, which "leans" South but, on the other hand, always seems to want to assert some sense of independence or "uniqueness". 

GCrites80s

• Last Login: April 15, 2018, 09:17:27 PM
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2017, 09:19:54 PM »

I contend that Kentuckians have more of an Appalachian accent than a southern accent. There is a difference. Of course, I think my voice sounds normal, but I'm struck by the accent whenever I hear a referee announce a penalty while watching an SEC football fame (or talk with Cody G.  :-D )
It all varies where you are. I do associate SE Kentucky with the south no question it's culturally southern but the areas near Louisville and Cincinnati are different they are more connected with the midwest.

Yet I get the impression that those in Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties have the attitude of, "You're in the south now!"

Or "Y'all are in the south, now," if you prefer.  :-D

Florence, Y'all

amroad17

• Viaduct or Community Grid. It's now up to NYSDOT.

• Last Login: April 11, 2018, 10:44:35 PM
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2017, 12:26:12 AM »

Having traveled OH 32 east-to-west, my impression was that east of US 23 the overall "feel" of both the area and the people residing in that area was a virtual western extension of West Virginia.  Once past US 23, it had more of the "classic Midwest" vibe -- particularly from about Peebles west into metro Cincinnati.  As an aside, the northern Kentucky 'burbs of Cincinnati share that same Midwestern feel as does Cincinnati itself; I can't say the same for the remainder of the state, which "leans" South but, on the other hand, always seems to want to assert some sense of independence or "uniqueness".
I agree with your assertion of OH 32.  Once past Peebles, more specifically once past OH 73 six miles east of Peebles, the vibe/feel does change--as well as the terrain.  East past OH 73, one is starting to encounter the Appalachian foothills (especially the hill climb and descent at the Adams/Pike County line) and there is obviously an even more of a rural "feel" from there all the way to Belpre.

Since I live in the "Kentucky 'burbs of Cincinnati" and am not a "born Kentuckian", I can say that a majority of the people that live here lean more "South" than "Midwest".  Northern Kentucky does have a very suburban Cincinnati look, but these folks would rather associate with those from Lexington or Louisville than those from Cincinnati--even though many people (including me) live in Northern Kentucky and work in the Cincinnati area of Ohio.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: April 23, 2018, 09:07:33 AM
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »

Since I live in the "Kentucky 'burbs of Cincinnati" and am not a "born Kentuckian", I can say that a majority of the people that live here lean more "South" than "Midwest".  Northern Kentucky does have a very suburban Cincinnati look, but these folks would rather associate with those from Lexington or Louisville than those from Cincinnati--even though many people (including me) live in Northern Kentucky and work in the Cincinnati area of Ohio.

That's the same vibe I get when stopping in that area...you definitely know you're in Kentucky. Although I should point out, where I typically stop is along the stretch between 275 and the 71/75 split, so I can't speak much for the Newport/Covington/Bellevue area.
When it comes to volume, the Ohio River is not a tributary. The Upper Mississippi is.

dvferyance

• Last Login: April 16, 2018, 04:42:43 PM
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2017, 02:34:33 PM »

Everyone can have their own opinion. It's just how I would define it everything north of I-64 is the midwest. South of there about 30 or 40 miles or so is the transition zone. And south of there is where the real south begins. Berea KY is the place I would consider to be the gateway to the south if your on I-75.

sparker

« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »

Everyone can have their own opinion. It's just how I would define it everything north of I-64 is the midwest. South of there about 30 or 40 miles or so is the transition zone. And south of there is where the real south begins. Berea KY is the place I would consider to be the gateway to the south if your on I-75.

The few times I've been to Lexington I've come away with the impression of a college town "grown up" into a full-fledged city -- not Midwest, not South -- maybe because a lot of the folks there (including several personal friends) weren't KY natives but ended up there because of the ambience and the more collegiate "feel" to the town.  Having a lot of "startup" businesses with Lexington-area HQ's adds to that impression.  This is in comparison to Louisville, which always seemed more "southern" to me although on the same basic latitude as Lexington. 

hbelkins

• Celebrating another day that Hillary isn't prez.

• Last Login: Today at 02:46:16 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2017, 10:20:43 AM »

I've never thought of Lexington as a college town even though UK is there. Lexington, for this area of the state, has always been two things. One is the major shopping/entertainment/medical hub for the reason. Two is the home of the snobby NIMBY horse farm owners. Take away UK and Lexington is still going to be what it is.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 11:32:27 AM
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2017, 09:14:33 AM »

I actually think removing UK from Lexington would be a big hit to it.  It would still be there, but it wouldn't be the size that it is today.  UK's a huge employer.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vtk

• she pronouns please

• Last Login: March 20, 2018, 08:48:11 AM
    • Vid's Space
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2017, 06:33:38 PM »

The traffic light on US 23 in front of Malwart on the south end of Waverly has been improperly configured since the repaving last year. This signal has "prepare to stop when flashing" advance warning signs, but they don't start flashing until a fraction of a second after the signal itself turns yellow. A driver can pass the advance sign when it's not flashing, assume the light will stay green, and then be surprised when it turns red in front of em.
Look, over by the restrooms! It's a girl! It's a boy! No, it's Captain Enby!

…Do you think they're trying to decide which one to use?

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2017, 04:04:46 PM »

Down goes the Jeremiah Morrow Bridge:

When it comes to volume, the Ohio River is not a tributary. The Upper Mississippi is.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2017, 10:08:29 PM »

Ironton-Russell Bridge demolition:

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2018, 02:39:58 PM »

I was in a craft store last week and while walking down the scrapbook background page aisle I noticed one that was a road map. So being a roadgeek I naturally picked it up to get a better look to see if I could figure out where it was...and it took all of about 2 seconds to realize this was a map of southern Ohio.

After looking at it a little closer it was obvious to see that whoever made this has taken a Rand McNally image and made some changes to it to make it seem generic, like changing I-71 to I-11 and leaving off some recognizable names such a Xenia, Chillicothe and just the "Court  House" part from Washington Court House. Looks most of the other route numbers and place names were left alone.

I thought this was interesting and figured it was worth sharing here. Anyone notice any other things wrong or changed on this map?

VS988

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 12:39:09 PM
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2018, 04:05:26 PM »

This map predates, what, 1995? OH 32 hasn't been finished near Piketon and US 23. And a good chunk of US 35 on both sides of I-71 have not been converted into an expressway.

sparker

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2018, 05:40:04 PM »

Looks like a misprint here: an I-11 shield on I-71 at the north edge of the map segment shown.  And the above post was right about OH 32 in the Scioto Valley; that wasn't done, IIRC, until 1996 or 1997. 

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 09:42:17 AM
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2018, 12:44:05 AM »

Xenia was wiped off the map...Kinda like how Xenia was pretty much wiped off the map in the 1974 Tornado.

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: April 22, 2018, 09:57:22 AM
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2018, 09:13:58 AM »

Xenia was wiped off the map...Kinda like how Xenia was pretty much wiped off the map in the 1974 Tornado.
So the map is from 1975 then?  :poke:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2018, 09:54:57 AM »

And the above post was right about OH 32 in the Scioto Valley; that wasn't done, IIRC, until 1996 or 1997.

Sounds about right, as I can vaguely remember that section of 32 being 2 lanes when I was a young kid. I want to say that the current diamond interchange with US 23 was already there when it was still 2 lanes, anyone know when it was built?

BrianP

• Last Login: Today at 11:31:45 AM
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »

And the above post was right about OH 32 in the Scioto Valley; that wasn't done, IIRC, until 1996 or 1997.

Sounds about right, as I can vaguely remember that section of 32 being 2 lanes when I was a young kid. I want to say that the current diamond interchange with US 23 was already there when it was still 2 lanes, anyone know when it was built?
Historical Aerials says the interchange was there in 1960.  While the 1959 topo map doesn't show either road. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_State_Route_124
Says:
1997 – Jasper to Givens upgraded to divided highway.

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 12:39:09 PM
« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2018, 12:19:26 PM »

The interchange was moved north when OH 32 was widened in 1997 from Jasper east to Givens, completing the last gap for that corridor. US 23 was widened to four lanes through the area in 1960 and an interchange was added for OH 124.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2018, 10:50:33 PM »

The interchange was moved north when OH 32 was widened in 1997 from Jasper east to Givens, completing the last gap for that corridor. US 23 was widened to four lanes through the area in 1960 and an interchange was added for OH 124.

Thanks, I actually drove through there today on 23, and having read your post before leaving I knew to look for signs of this and noticed the old location of 124 which is now part of a local road and still goes under 23 under the original bridge.

VS988

vtk

• she pronouns please

• Last Login: March 20, 2018, 08:48:11 AM
    • Vid's Space
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2018, 08:21:21 AM »

Yeah, and grading for the old ramps in the south half of the old interchange is still visible in-person.
Look, over by the restrooms! It's a girl! It's a boy! No, it's Captain Enby!

…Do you think they're trying to decide which one to use?

dvferyance

• Last Login: April 16, 2018, 04:42:43 PM
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2018, 07:22:11 PM »

I contend that Kentuckians have more of an Appalachian accent than a southern accent. There is a difference. Of course, I think my voice sounds normal, but I'm struck by the accent whenever I hear a referee announce a penalty while watching an SEC football fame (or talk with Cody G.  :-D )
It all varies where you are. I do associate SE Kentucky with the south no question it's culturally southern but the areas near Louisville and Cincinnati are different they are more connected with the midwest.

Yet I get the impression that those in Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties have the attitude of, "You're in the south now!"

Or "Y'all are in the south, now," if you prefer.  :-D

Florence, Y'all
That is a misspelling it supposed to say Florence Mall.

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »

Florence, Y'all

Not a misspelling, but rather a deliberate change. Florence was told that their water tower advertisement for the mall was too high to comply with state law, so they made the minor changes to convert "MALL" to "Y'ALL" because it was cheaper than painting over the whole word. 

hbelkins

• Celebrating another day that Hillary isn't prez.

• Last Login: Today at 02:46:16 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2018, 11:02:43 AM »

Florence, Y'all

Not a misspelling, but rather a deliberate change. Florence was told that their water tower advertisement for the mall was too high to comply with state law, so they made the minor changes to convert "MALL" to "Y'ALL" because it was cheaper than painting over the whole word.

No, not really. The Florence Mall water tower predated the mall by many years. The reason they changed it from Mall to Y'all was because they were told they could not advertise something that wasn't in existence yet. I remember when the tower said "Mall" and I remember the story when it changed to "Y'all."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.