AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NYC Roads  (Read 197634 times)

bluecountry

• Last Login: January 01, 2022, 08:17:34 PM
Re: NYC Roads
« Reply #1025 on: October 06, 2021, 03:16:15 PM »

Well this is certainly welcoming news:

https://www.amny.com/transit/city-rolls-back-fifth-ave-busway/

Itís a breath of fresh air in cloud of ridiculously anti car bullshit.
No it's not, that was a good proposal.

crispy93

• Last Login: January 12, 2022, 04:19:12 PM
« Reply #1026 on: October 10, 2021, 12:48:47 PM »

The signs saying trucks over a certain height need to exit onto Astoria appear to have been removed.  Is that still there in some regulation even if it's not signed?  Believe it or not, allowing commercial vehicles on select sections of parkways is not completely unprecedented.  The Lake Ontario State Parkway used to allow them in Orleans County, for example, at least until the pavement deteriorated.

I used to go over the Triboro a few times a week both before and after. There is no longer any reference to the parkway's max height until it's too late to exit, though the old pull-throughs had the clearances listed: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7716522,-73.9190935,3a,24.9y,131.07h,86.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBimcf42zrb2dZwfMv4wQSA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There's also a VMS on the bridge that says simply, "TRUCKS ALLOWED RFK TO I278/BQE"
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

vdeane

• Last Login: Today at 01:14:00 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #1027 on: October 10, 2021, 10:20:50 PM »

One thing to keep in mind is that there was a project a couple of years ago to increase the clearances under those bridges - hence why they aren't signed anymore.  I'm not sure exactly how they did it, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: January 20, 2022, 06:41:45 PM
« Reply #1028 on: October 10, 2021, 10:31:47 PM »

It doesn't look like they did anything except take down the height limit signs. Streetview comparisons doesn't so any obvious structural changes to the bridges or roadway itself.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 12:18:11 AM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #1029 on: October 10, 2021, 11:48:56 PM »

It doesn't look like they did anything except take down the height limit signs. Streetview comparisons doesn't so any obvious structural changes to the bridges or roadway itself.
Roadway was dug out more.

ixnay

• Last Login: January 20, 2022, 07:57:47 PM
« Reply #1030 on: November 25, 2021, 11:15:07 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving, American roadgeeks!

Looking at Google Maps traffic, I-278 is closed this morning from the Brooklyn end of the VNB to 7 Av both ways and again from Industry City to the Carey BBT.  Why?
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #1031 on: November 25, 2021, 01:06:14 PM »

Looking at Google Maps traffic, I-278 is closed this morning from the Brooklyn end of the VNB to 7 Av both ways and again from Industry City to the Carey BBT.  Why?
That appears to be the HOV lane, not the I-278 mainline.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ixnay

• Last Login: January 20, 2022, 07:57:47 PM
« Reply #1032 on: November 25, 2021, 05:04:24 PM »

That appears to be the HOV lane, not the I-278 mainline.

I should've zoomed in with my mouse roller.  [blush]

A logical closure.
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:05 PM
« Reply #1033 on: November 27, 2021, 11:45:04 AM »

Why does the MTA have coverings on all suspender cables for bridges like the Verrazano, the Whitestone, Throgs Neck, and even the RFK? Yet the Verrazano has some suspenders without them.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 12:18:11 AM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #1034 on: November 27, 2021, 04:45:29 PM »

Why does the MTA have coverings on all suspender cables for bridges like the Verrazano, the Whitestone, Throgs Neck, and even the RFK? Yet the Verrazano has some suspenders without them.
Ice protection.

Mergingtraffic

• Last Login: January 16, 2022, 03:18:43 PM
    • My Flickr alias: MergingTraffic
« Reply #1035 on: November 28, 2021, 05:52:23 PM »

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 04:18:12 PM
« Reply #1036 on: November 28, 2021, 06:01:08 PM »

Hopefully itís kept and rebuilt.

crispy93

• Last Login: January 12, 2022, 04:19:12 PM
« Reply #1037 on: December 29, 2021, 02:29:03 PM »

Haven't been on the BQE since the narrowing.  It's on GSV in places.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6937898,-73.9992358,3a,75y,356.78h,88.02t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sO2Umm2anJUVswuvR1s630Q!2e0!5s20211001T000000!7i16384!8i8192

It's so bizarre seeing proper areas and standard lane widths on this section. I wonder what the before/after crash rate will be
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 01:31:16 PM
« Reply #1038 on: December 29, 2021, 02:57:11 PM »

Has anyone noticed an increase in congestion since the right lane on the BQE has been converted into a shoulder lane? I would expect a freeway being narrowed from six to four lanes would see a significant increase in congestion, especially in a place like New York City.

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #1039 on: December 29, 2021, 09:20:25 PM »

Has anyone noticed an increase in congestion since the right lane on the BQE has been converted into a shoulder lane? I would expect a freeway being narrowed from six to four lanes would see a significant increase in congestion, especially in a place like New York City.
From what I've heard, that area is quite congested, and Google Maps certainly shows this.  Stop and go at all hours of the day.  I went through there at 9 AM on a Sunday morning (on a holiday weekend, so probably even less traffic than normal) and it was already stop and go, just from congestion.  It's basically an area to avoid at all times, even when the rest of the city (yes, including the Cross-Bronx) is at free flow.

Honestly, as much as I don't want to see the freeway removed, it might actually move better if it were, if only because that might convince people to not go there.

Plutonic Panda

« Reply #1040 on: December 29, 2021, 10:02:23 PM »

From what I've heard, that area is quite congested, and Google Maps certainly shows this.  Stop and go at all hours of the day.  I went through there at 9 AM on a Sunday morning (on a holiday weekend, so probably even less traffic than normal) and it was already stop and go, just from congestion.  It's basically an area to avoid at all times, even when the rest of the city (yes, including the Cross-Bronx) is at free flow.

Honestly, as much as I don't want to see the freeway removed, it might actually move better if it were, if only because that might convince people to not go there.
Remove an already super congested freeway? Iíll counter that nonsense with the same saying we should widen the thing to ten lanes each way.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 10:19:01 AM by Plutonic Panda »

NoGoodNamesAvailable

• Last Login: Today at 12:24:50 PM
« Reply #1041 on: December 30, 2021, 01:01:19 AM »

Yeah, it's really bad, and the traffic impact goes back as far as the Staten Island Expressway. People are also clogging up local streets like Smith Street.

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #1042 on: December 30, 2021, 12:47:22 PM »

Remove an already super congested freeway? Iíll counter that nonsense with the same saying we should widen the thing to ten lanes each way.
Realistically, that corridor isn't going to be solved without convincing at least half the cars on it to either shift to other modes, drive to different destinations or via a significantly different route, or to stay home entirely, especially given the NIMBYs and BANANAs in the area.  I think the only option retaining anything resembling a freeway that the locals and the Vision Zero/climate activists were happy with was the one where it would be a four-lane (total), truck-only tunnel with passenger cars forced on a boulevard.

I don't support a removal of the BQE myself, but clearly what's there is horrifically congested, and I put the chances of a new or expanded facility as iffy at best.  It would be very expensive and it the political support would seem to not be there.

Plutonic Panda

« Reply #1043 on: December 30, 2021, 12:55:31 PM »

Realistically, that corridor isn't going to be solved without convincing at least half the cars on it to either shift to other modes, drive to different destinations or via a significantly different route, or to stay home entirely, especially given the NIMBYs and BANANAs in the area.  I think the only option retaining anything resembling a freeway that the locals and the Vision Zero/climate activists were happy with was the one where it would be a four-lane (total), truck-only tunnel with passenger cars forced on a boulevard.

I don't support a removal of the BQE myself, but clearly what's there is horrifically congested, and I put the chances of a new or expanded facility as iffy at best.  It would be very expensive and it the political support would seem to not be there.
I would support an expansion but yeah I doubt that happens in the current political climate if ever. Iíd like to see a study if this made the freeway safer. If it didnít do much than re-stripe it back to 3 lanes each way. Removing the freeway seems like an awful idea.

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #1044 on: December 30, 2021, 09:23:27 PM »

I would support an expansion but yeah I doubt that happens in the current political climate if ever. Iíd like to see a study if this made the freeway safer. If it didnít do much than re-stripe it back to 3 lanes each way. Removing the freeway seems like an awful idea.
It's worth noting that the re-striping wasn't about crashes on the freeway.  It was about the weight of traffic making it so it was due to collapse within five years if they didn't do the re-striping.  The re-striping, combined with better enforcement on overweight trucks, should allow it to last for 20.  That road isn't going back to three lanes each way without a complete rebuild.

Plutonic Panda

« Reply #1045 on: December 31, 2021, 03:43:02 AM »

It's worth noting that the re-striping wasn't about crashes on the freeway.  It was about the weight of traffic making it so it was due to collapse within five years if they didn't do the re-striping.  The re-striping, combined with better enforcement on overweight trucks, should allow it to last for 20.  That road isn't going back to three lanes each way without a complete rebuild.
Oh, good to know. I donít know much about transit patterns in NYC so if there isnít already a transit line that would alleviate traffic off of this freeway it could be done in 20 years. Hopefully the road gets rebuilt. It would be nice to see 8 lanes but at least six is preferable.

SignBridge

• Last Login: January 20, 2022, 10:08:07 PM
« Reply #1046 on: December 31, 2021, 08:15:42 PM »

PlutonicPanda, there are plenty of criss-crossing NYC subway train lines in that area, but that doesn't alleviate traffic on this Expwy. Much of it is heavy-truck traffic and through traffic traveling from Long Island, Queens, Brooklyn to/from Staten Island and New Jersey. Not the kind of commuting served by local subway lines.

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 01:31:16 PM
« Reply #1047 on: December 31, 2021, 08:40:44 PM »

I'm sure that in 20 years' time, if they ever come up with a plan to reconstruct the BQE in any shape or form, the neighborhoods will be screaming "bloody murder" against anything that is proposed. I'm sure that's why they deferred doing anything about the BQE for two decades.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 07:18:25 AM
« Reply #1048 on: January 01, 2022, 01:30:59 AM »

I'm sure that in 20 years' time, if they ever come up with a plan to reconstruct the BQE in any shape or form, the neighborhoods will be screaming "bloody murder" against anything that is proposed. I'm sure that's why they deferred doing anything about the BQE for two decades.
It's more about the ridiculous price, from what I heard in meetings.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

storm2k

• Last Login: January 19, 2022, 10:30:28 PM
« Reply #1049 on: January 01, 2022, 05:40:50 PM »

It's more about the ridiculous price, from what I heard in meetings.

Basically, any plan that will make Brooklyn Heights residents happy at this point is going to cost a small fortune. And this is on top of what it would cost for just a more straightforward reconstruction of this area. Same kinds of battles that plagued the Gowanus construction plans some time ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.