AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ohio  (Read 108672 times)

TempoNick

• Last Login: November 25, 2021, 01:53:02 PM
Re: Ohio
« Reply #550 on: September 14, 2021, 12:54:42 AM »

ODOT gave SR 32 its number to bring consistency to the corridor. Originally, it was SR 32 (SR 74 prior to Interstate renumbering), briefly SR 772 (?), then SR 124, SR 346, and US 50 to the West Virginia line. The SR 32 designation was eventually extended east overlapping SR 124 and replacing SR 346, and then later SR 32 was also multiplexed with US 50 east of Athens to provide a consistent designation for the corridor.

I agree that the numbering on the Columbus-to-Newark corridor is confusing. At the very least, ODOT should extend SR 161 east to meet SR 16. I could see maybe replacing SR 16 with SR 161 east to Coshocton but I don't know there is an appetite for that renumbering. You still have the corridor east of there continuing as US 36, US 250, and US 22 over to Steubenville, and I don't see a state route getting extended over that.

Numbered routes don't have a lot of relevance through big cities these days along surface roads. They are only relevant to and from those cities and on highways. 161 should terminate at I-270 and the road that continues should be called Ohio 16 until it hits U.S. 36 at Coshocton or maybe even multiplex it with U.S. 36 until it hits I-77. Now that's a route worthy of having such a prime number as 16. Besides, aren't people trying to make this into an alternate route into Pittsburgh? I can see Ohio 16 all the way to Steubenville.

Who cares what Broad Street is called. Call it 16S or 816 until it hits Granville.

Since we are renumbering everything, US-33 is also irrelevant inside I-270. It should be routed along 315, 104 and 270 between the Southeast side and Dublin, but multiplexed because within the city having the different numbers (104 and 315) helps you figure out where there are traffic tie-ups.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 12:59:13 AM by TempoNick »

SkyPesos

• Last Login: Today at 11:00:59 PM
« Reply #551 on: September 14, 2021, 01:05:41 AM »

^ Columbus could pull an Indianapolis and route every number that's not I-70 and I-71 around I-270 if they wanted to  :spin:
My Fictional Highways

Fundamental Theorem of AARoads - Let "y" represent the elevation above sea level in a certain area. If "Δy" between the highest and lowest values of y equals to 0, it's Illinois.

TempoNick

• Last Login: November 25, 2021, 01:53:02 PM
« Reply #552 on: September 14, 2021, 01:17:44 AM »

^ Columbus could pull an Indianapolis and route every number that's not I-70 and I-71 around I-270 if they wanted to  :spin:

Exactly what I was thinking, except they'd have to leave the freeways alone (US 33, Ohio 104, Ohio 161, Ohio 315). Just get rid of numbers on surface roads or give them some irrelevant number like Ohio 816 for Ohio 16). Just put up a US Shield around I-270 that says "ALL" and then the specific route number where you have to exit. I don't think it works with Ohio routes, but the US Routes could be simplified in this way.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:20:39 AM by TempoNick »

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• Your roadmeet didn't happen, if I was not there.

• Last Login: Today at 01:50:26 AM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
« Reply #553 on: September 16, 2021, 02:14:02 AM »

Exactly what I was thinking, except they'd have to leave the freeways alone (US 33, Ohio 104, Ohio 161, Ohio 315). Just get rid of numbers on surface roads or give them some irrelevant number like Ohio 816 for Ohio 16). Just put up a US Shield around I-270 that says "ALL" and then the specific route number where you have to exit. I don't think it works with Ohio routes, but the US Routes could be simplified in this way.

Won't happen. ODOT funds the various cities for road care on the numbered routes. Those numbers mean the local officials can shift blame for any problem with them to the state.
Less important than dead cats.

skluth

• Last Login: Today at 04:53:29 PM
« Reply #554 on: September 16, 2021, 02:21:30 PM »

Won't happen. ODOT funds the various cities for road care on the numbered routes. Those numbers mean the local officials can shift blame for any problem with them to the state.

Could be worse. I live in California where there may be a highway on the map but signs that you are on the highway are nonexistent within any incorporated community.

GCrites80s

• Last Login: Today at 05:10:32 PM
« Reply #555 on: September 16, 2021, 09:13:21 PM »

Some of these small towns couldn't afford to maintain their through streets without the state funds. If you see a state route end at the edge of a town there's your answer. There's no real reason other than that for OH-316 to enter Ashville on West Main St., hang a left on Long St. then end at OH-752 on the north edge of town.

Great Lakes Roads

• Ain't nobody got time for that!!

• Last Login: Today at 06:58:41 PM
« Reply #556 on: September 17, 2021, 04:43:10 PM »

Can someone explain to me the exit numbers on US 68 from I-70 to the County Line Road? I thought that they were doing exit numbers from the mile marker.

Here are the exit numbers from south to north:
Exit 5A-B: I-70 (Columbus, Dayton)
Exit 7A-B: US 40/OH State Route 4 (Springfield, Dayton)
Exit 8: OH State Route 41 (Troy, Springfield)
Exit 12: OH State Route 334 East (River Road, Springfield)
Exit 15: County Line Road

Bitmapped

• Last Login: Today at 10:01:09 PM
« Reply #557 on: September 17, 2021, 07:06:21 PM »

Can someone explain to me the exit numbers on US 68 from I-70 to the County Line Road? I thought that they were doing exit numbers from the mile marker.

For non-Interstates, originally numbered them based on county mileage rather than statewide.

6a

• Last Login: November 23, 2021, 05:12:58 PM
« Reply #558 on: September 18, 2021, 04:48:21 AM »

For non-Interstates, originally numbered them based on county mileage rather than statewide.
Iíve asked this same question. Elsewhere, the exit numbers match up with the mileage within the state. Here, itís only within the county.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: Today at 10:01:09 PM
« Reply #559 on: September 18, 2021, 11:52:08 AM »

Iíve asked this same question. Elsewhere, the exit numbers match up with the mileage within the state. Here, itís only within the county.
Newer projects number things statewide. County-based numbers are generally getting replaced with state-based ones as part of larger sign replacement projects.

SkyPesos

« Reply #560 on: September 18, 2021, 11:59:30 AM »

Newer projects number things statewide. County-based numbers are generally getting replaced with state-based ones as part of larger sign replacement projects.
US 68's exit numbers in Springfield are new. The August 2019 GSV doesn't have exit numbers on US 68, while the August 2021 GSV does. This is why some of us are questioning the use of county based exit numbers here, as recent non-interstate expressways and freeways had state based exit numbers added on.
My Fictional Highways

Fundamental Theorem of AARoads - Let "y" represent the elevation above sea level in a certain area. If "Δy" between the highest and lowest values of y equals to 0, it's Illinois.

Great Lakes Roads

• Ain't nobody got time for that!!

• Last Login: Today at 06:58:41 PM
« Reply #561 on: September 18, 2021, 03:05:27 PM »

US 68's exit numbers in Springfield are new. The August 2019 GSV doesn't have exit numbers on US 68, while the August 2021 GSV does. This is why some of us are questioning the use of county based exit numbers here, as recent non-interstate expressways and freeways had state based exit numbers added on.
Oh, and OH State Route 4 also has new exit numbers west of Springfield... https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8960537,-83.9321776,3a,75y,226.15h,81.74t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQzbnFbuIHjIjl7UB37uJcg!2e0!5s20210801T000000!7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9071633,-83.9094401,3a,75y,44.49h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sKbaW1M1LqP005Yzu8mlI-w!2e0!5s20210801T000000!7i16384!8i8192

SkyPesos

« Reply #562 on: September 18, 2021, 03:11:52 PM »

Probably a quirk with District 7 then. Note that both OH 4 and US 35 in Dayton doesn't have exit numbers yet, while if it was in literally any other ODOT district, it would've got exit numbers by now. Wouldn't be surprised to see county based mileage ones go up in the next few months for those two freeways too.
My Fictional Highways

SkyPesos

« Reply #563 on: September 19, 2021, 12:44:16 AM »

I was digging through some ODOT files today, and found that there was a recent (from a year ago) alternative study for the NB I-75 alignment between the OH 126 (exit 10) and Shepherd (exit 13) interchanges. This alternative study would relocate NB I-75 to where the current SB alignment is, and remove the existing NB alignment, while still widening both directions to 4 lanes each. It would also include a new NB exit as a split diamond to Lock Street and Wyoming Ave. The SB side may also have this split diamond, though itís more difficult with development nearby, and a new interchange to Millsdale to the south of the current interchange may be considered instead. Regardless, the current substandard SB interchange to Cooper Ave is planned to be removed. The decision on whether to use this alternative alignment or keep the current alignment with the split will be made in November of this year. Apparently, it's cheaper than keeping NB I-75 where it currently is, and widening it, and will make the geometry of the planned WB 126 to NB 75 ramp more smooth.

Link the the study: https://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/files/I-75%20Thru%20the%20Valley%20-%20Alternate%20Feasibility%20Report%20(July%202020).pdf
Small update from the above: https://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/files/I-75%20Thru%20the%20Valley%20-%20Study%20Update%20(April%202021).pdf
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:51:31 AM by SkyPesos »
My Fictional Highways

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 10:07:25 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #564 on: September 20, 2021, 09:29:13 AM »

Interesting. Now that the abandoned Stearns & Foster factory (which was located alongside the canal that later became southbound I-75) is demolished, it should make that project far easier.

I never realized that the transmission towers along northbound I-75 were a major reason as to why that alignment may not be considered as part of the Thru the Valley project. Relocating the lines would require a lot of demolitions and two years - at a large expense.

josh79905

• Last Login: September 21, 2021, 09:21:26 PM
« Reply #565 on: September 21, 2021, 07:05:50 PM »

Probably a quirk with District 7 then. Note that both OH 4 and US 35 in Dayton doesn't have exit numbers yet, while if it was in literally any other ODOT district, it would've got exit numbers by now. Wouldn't be surprised to see county based mileage ones go up in the next few months for those two freeways too.

It's not just District 7.  SR 11's exit numbering ends at the Columbiana/Mahoning County line, which are in different districts.  I actually asked someone at ODOT District 11 (where Columbiana county is in) about that a few years ago and they said it would change when the signs get replaced.  Well, the signs were replaced, but still no exit numbers. 

SkyPesos

« Reply #566 on: September 21, 2021, 10:24:51 PM »

Interesting. Now that the abandoned Stearns & Foster factory (which was located alongside the canal that later became southbound I-75) is demolished, it should make that project far easier.

I never realized that the transmission towers along northbound I-75 were a major reason as to why that alignment may not be considered as part of the Thru the Valley project. Relocating the lines would require a lot of demolitions and two years - at a large expense.
Not sure if it was mentioned in that pdf, but that section with the transmission towers nearby is also on a viaduct, which obviously is more difficult to widen than a highway at ground level. Looking at GSV, yea, this is not a good place to widen a highway

I would definitely prefer the alternative of moving the NB lanes to the SB side over keeping it as is based on the conditions, but a side of me is sad to potentially see one of the widest medians in a urban area be gone. Now we'll wait for the decision...
My Fictional Highways

frankenroad

• Last Login: Today at 04:47:04 PM
« Reply #567 on: September 22, 2021, 12:07:27 PM »

Not sure if it was mentioned in that pdf, but that section with the transmission towers nearby is also on a viaduct, which obviously is more difficult to widen than a highway at ground level. Looking at GSV, yea, this is not a good place to widen a highway

I would definitely prefer the alternative of moving the NB lanes to the SB side over keeping it as is based on the conditions, but a side of me is sad to potentially see one of the widest medians in a urban area be gone. Now we'll wait for the decision...

I went and looked at the plans after seeing the reference above, and I agree that moving the NB lanes back next to the SB lanes seems like the best alternative.   Part of me will be sad when the current NB lanes are removed, as my Dad and I would frequently go to Lockland/Reading to watch them get built.  IIRC, it took about 2 years (65-67) and I remember being surprised how quickly they opened after the work began.   Of course, I was only 11 so my understanding of project timelines was little to none!  This will be the second construction project I remember watching with my Dad that will be destroyed (the first was a medical arts building).
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• Your roadmeet didn't happen, if I was not there.

• Last Login: Today at 01:50:26 AM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
« Reply #568 on: September 28, 2021, 12:56:14 AM »

An article out of C-bus that is not paywalled...
https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2021/09/24/future-central-ohio-highway-projects.html
(list of projects that ODOT has promised money for, around Central Ohio, for the next couple of years)
Less important than dead cats.

SkyPesos

« Reply #569 on: September 28, 2021, 01:48:32 AM »

^ Nice to see that the I-71 and Big Walnut Rd interchange is pretty much confirmed now.
My Fictional Highways

vtk

• she pronouns please

• Last Login: December 06, 2021, 08:50:31 AM
    • vid the kid . info
« Reply #570 on: October 06, 2021, 05:12:40 AM »

It's paywalled for meÖ :confused:
Look, over by the restrooms! It's a girl! It's a boy! No, it's Captain Enby!

ÖDo you think they're trying to decide which one to use?

Buck87

• Aesculus glabra

• Last Login: Today at 02:58:24 PM

PurdueBill

• Last Login: December 03, 2021, 09:24:48 PM
« Reply #572 on: October 18, 2021, 10:58:01 AM »

It is maddening that there are districts that are putting up new exit numbers that are county mileage.  It should be a statewide uniform thing at this point.
The newly rebuilt WB side of US 30 in Mansfield has mileage exit numbers that thankfully are the mileage to the Indiana line, as they should be.
https://goo.gl/maps/PHw4X4hoy3BkgWq76
I wonder if they will add numbers to the many exits east and west of there over time; there is no reason not to at least over time.  They would have to make sure to do them uniformly with the whole state mileage, not county mileage, though.

I-55

• Midwesterner and Southerner

• Last Login: Today at 12:06:56 PM
« Reply #573 on: October 20, 2021, 12:03:56 AM »

It is maddening that there are districts that are putting up new exit numbers that are county mileage.  It should be a statewide uniform thing at this point.
The newly rebuilt WB side of US 30 in Mansfield has mileage exit numbers that thankfully are the mileage to the Indiana line, as they should be.
I wonder if they will add numbers to the many exits east and west of there over time; there is no reason not to at least over time.  They would have to make sure to do them uniformly with the whole state mileage, not county mileage, though.

What's even worse is that some roads (notably the Appalachian Hwy) have both state based exits AND county based exits along the route. You can look at OH-32 at the Wellston exit for county mileage while in Athens it's state mileage (granted it's US-33's mileage).
The real Golden Triangle is in east-central Mississippi. Any other "golden triangle" is just a copycat.

Roundabouts are proof that people can still mess up no matter how simple a concept can be.

okroads

• Last Login: December 07, 2021, 11:12:51 AM
    • OKRoads Flickr
« Reply #574 on: October 20, 2021, 04:17:16 PM »

What's even worse is that some roads (notably the Appalachian Hwy) have both state based exits AND county based exits along the route. You can look at OH-32 at the Wellston exit for county mileage while in Athens it's state mileage (granted it's US-33's mileage).

Athens exit numbers were county mile marker based until 2019, when signs were replaced and exit numbers updated to reflect state mileage.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.