News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Beginnings of Interstates/highways that are in the middle of nowhere

Started by Buffaboy, September 25, 2015, 04:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrfoxboy

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 25, 2015, 04:25:50 PM
I-95 begins in Houlton, ME which is as middle of nowhere as it gets on the east coast.
It hits the Canadian border, continuing as NB95 to Woodstock, NB and the TCH. Not exactly the middle of nowhere, but admittedly not a huge town

thenetwork

Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 06, 2015, 10:17:59 PM
Interstate 76 in Ohio starts way outside of Akron at Westfield.

Except that really isnt in the middle of nowhere -- that is pretty much where the original concentration of Truck Stops outside of the Cleveland/Akron Area was located -- not including the trucker service areas one exit south at OH-83.  The next group of Truck Stops (not li'l one-off greasy spoon diners) at the time were West of Norwalk on US-20 and on I-80 east of the Ohio Turnpike and nothing on I-90 east of Cleveland until you get to near the Madison/Asthabula area. 

Plus there is a lot of traffic which passes through that interchange, so it really isn't out in the middle of nowhere like I-70 in Cove Fort, Utah.

lordsutch

Technically I-22 now starts in the middle of a construction zone in Mississippi about 12 miles southeast of where US 78 crosses into Tennessee, halfway between two interchanges.

And I-69 in Mississippi now starts in the middle of a field at the Tunica/De Soto county line.

cl94

Quote from: OracleUsr on December 06, 2015, 09:31:56 PM
Doesn't I-229 in Sioux Falls end in a dirt road too?   Granted it's at I-90 (I think) but still.

Paved about a decade ago.

Quote from: thenetwork on December 07, 2015, 04:46:22 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on October 06, 2015, 10:17:59 PM
Interstate 76 in Ohio starts way outside of Akron at Westfield.

Except that really isnt in the middle of nowhere -- that is pretty much where the original concentration of Truck Stops outside of the Cleveland/Akron Area was located -- not including the trucker service areas one exit south at OH-83.  The next group of Truck Stops (not li'l one-off greasy spoon diners) at the time were West of Norwalk on US-20 and on I-80 east of the Ohio Turnpike and nothing on I-90 east of Cleveland until you get to near the Madison/Asthabula area. 

Plus there is a lot of traffic which passes through that interchange, so it really isn't out in the middle of nowhere like I-70 in Cove Fort, Utah.

I certainly wouldn't call that the middle of nowhere. Might be a bunch of farms, but traffic counts on I-71 in that area are near 50K and growing, there is suburban development, and it's only 20 miles from Akron.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

broadhurst04

Quote from: hbelkins on September 25, 2015, 10:15:21 PM
North end of I-26 in Tennessee. It's at an interchange, but there's no logical reason it can't continue on to the end of the freeway at the next exit.

I thought TN was required to end the I-26 designation at US 11W because that last exit before the VA border is a TN secondary route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.