News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

I-95 through the Meadowlands

Started by longhorn, October 27, 2015, 09:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longhorn

Interesting, so now its 95E and 95W.  So when does this officially go into effect?

odditude

Quote from: longhorn on November 02, 2015, 03:09:01 PM
Interesting, so now its 95E and 95W.  So when does this officially go into effect?
it doesn't; that's just how that map is showing it.

swbrotha100

Internally, NJDOT considers the Western Spur as 95W. In the field, both spurs are signed as I-95.

ASUS ZenFone 2E

jeffandnicole

It never has been.  It's just one of the many errors found within Rand McNally's maps. 

AMLNet49

Never. The Western Spur is officially a state route (regardless of how it's signed) called NJ 95W. The Eastern Spur is part of the national interstate network (regardless of how it's signed or labeled) as a part of I-95.

I have a huge problem with the way it is usually signed. Signing I-95 as "Exit 16E" is ludicrous because it has to be incredibly confusing for a non-roadgeek visitor to get anywhere off of the Eastern Spur that isn't the tunnel (Secaucus Mall, the Exchange train station, Weekawken/Union City) because it looks like the mainline is the actual exit for the tunnel.

The better way to sign it would be simply to sign the Western Spur with a NJTP shield, "Western Spur" text, and then "GW Bridge/New York" as control points. The Eastern Spur should be signed with NJTP and I-95 shields, "Eastern Spur" text, and "Lincoln Tunnel/Secaucus" as control points. It would still encourage through traffic to use the Western Spur and tunnel traffic to use the eastern spur, but it would accurately reflect the fact that there are two full freeway spurs.

Pete from Boston

Google Maps is also confused by the signs, labeling 16W both in East Rutherford and in Ridgefield where the spurs split.

Calling them "spurs" on the signs, as is the common local parlance, could be confusing.  A "spur" route generally goes off in one direction and ends there.  "Westerly Alignment" and "Easterly Alignment," Turnpike-speak for the roads, is obtuse.  I would sign them "Western Route (Exits 16W, 15E-W, Sports Complex)" and "Eastern Route (Exits 17, 16E, 15E-W-X, Lincoln Tunnel, Secaucus)."

cl94

Quote from: AMLNet49 on November 02, 2015, 04:25:08 PM
Never. The Western Spur is officially a state route (regardless of how it's signed) called NJ 95W. The Eastern Spur is part of the national interstate network (regardless of how it's signed or labeled) as a part of I-95.

I have a huge problem with the way it is usually signed. Signing I-95 as "Exit 16E" is ludicrous because it has to be incredibly confusing for a non-roadgeek visitor to get anywhere off of the Eastern Spur that isn't the tunnel (Secaucus Mall, the Exchange train station, Weekawken/Union City) because it looks like the mainline is the actual exit for the tunnel.

The better way to sign it would be simply to sign the Western Spur with a NJTP shield, "Western Spur" text, and then "GW Bridge/New York" as control points. The Eastern Spur should be signed with NJTP and I-95 shields, "Eastern Spur" text, and "Lincoln Tunnel/Secaucus" as control points. It would still encourage through traffic to use the Western Spur and tunnel traffic to use the eastern spur, but it would accurately reflect the fact that there are two full freeway spurs.

Incorrect.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 27, 2015, 01:47:30 PM
This FHWA map shows both the eastern and western spur is interstate highway: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/nhs_maps/new_jersey/nynewark_nj.pdf

And the NJDOT Straight Line Diagrams indicates I-95 uses the Eastern Spur, while I-95W is the Western Spur.

Both are part of the Interstate system. Nobody who isn't from the area would likely go anywhere other than Exit 16E from the Eastern Spur. Even if it wasn't, it would be far from the only Interstate signed on a ramp before the mainline is encountered. How it is currently signed works.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

bzakharin

I agree about not using the term "spur". Where did it come from anyway? They already list the exits and routes for each spur and only sign I-95 for one of them at the split, according to GSV from September of this year: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7139439,-74.141128,3a,15y,112.55h,92.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sIrrjmrJX7fJPJYzrSjpENQ!2e0!5s20150901T000000!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1. Did they change something since then to refer only to 16E? Maybe they should add more destinations to the eastern spur than just "Lincoln Tunnel" and a Turnpike shield before the "TO 46", but beyond that, it seems fine.

I actually kind of like the floating I-95. I know it's not allowed by the feds, but for the regular driver, needing to know the difference between I-95 and "through traffic" is just one more point of confusion. If NJTA wants through traffic to use a particular spur, sign that as I-95.

Edit: Maybe you're referring to Southbound signage: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8382387,-74.0197658,3a,75y,193.1h,81.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sak9-Ol94nyYGIIRNtDZgww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1
That indeed has room for improvement, but it isn't too bad.

AMLNet49

Was definitely wrong about it being NJ 95W. I got that off Wikipedia without double checking straight line diagrams, so I did and I see that I was wrong. However there is no federal I-95W designation, so I guess that means: the Western Spur designated as Interstate roadway, the state calls it Route 95W, a separate state organization maintains it, but there is no formal federal designation for it. This might be the strangest roadway in the country in terms of designation.

cl94

Quote from: AMLNet49 on November 02, 2015, 06:02:39 PM
Was definitely wrong about it being NJ 95W. I got that off Wikipedia without double checking straight line diagrams, so I did and I see that I was wrong. However there is no federal I-95W designation, so I guess that means: the Western Spur designated as Interstate roadway, the state calls it Route 95W, a separate state organization maintains it, but there is no formal federal designation for it. This might be the strangest roadway in the country in terms of designation.

It's designated as Interstate 95W. New Jersey calls everything "route".
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

vdeane

How many people would just take the Eastern Spur anyways simply because they saw an I-95 shield?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: AMLNet49 on November 02, 2015, 06:02:39 PM
It is, in fact, NJ 95W, in the same sense that I-80 is NJ 80 and US 46 is NJ 46. Each highway has an SR number and it always matches. And yes, the two roadways are the Easterly and Westerly Alignments. Spur is shorter, but spurs dead-end and these come back together. The Newark Bay Extension ought to be called the Holland Tunnel Spur, and yet it's not.
I would sign it:
Western [NJTP][I-95] NORTH - Geo Washington Br - TO (I-280) (NJ 3) Meadowlands.
Eastern [NJTP][I-95] NORTH - Lincoln Tunnel - TO (NJ 495) Secaucus.
That pretty much covers all the destinations and reflects that both alignments come back together.

jeffandnicole

QuoteI have a huge problem with the way it is usually signed. Signing I-95 as "Exit 16E" is ludicrous because it has to be incredibly confusing for a non-roadgeek visitor to get anywhere off of the Eastern Spur that isn't the tunnel (Secaucus Mall, the Exchange train station, Weekawken/Union City) because it looks like the mainline is the actual exit for the tunnel.

Where are you seeing that the eastern spur is signed 95 North/16E? I think you're awfully confused about the signage in this area. You're talking about stretches of highway that have some of the highest traffic volumes anywhere in the nation, and motorists get around without a problem.

AMLNet49

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 02, 2015, 08:19:02 PM
QuoteI have a huge problem with the way it is usually signed. Signing I-95 as "Exit 16E" is ludicrous because it has to be incredibly confusing for a non-roadgeek visitor to get anywhere off of the Eastern Spur that isn't the tunnel (Secaucus Mall, the Exchange train station, Weekawken/Union City) because it looks like the mainline is the actual exit for the tunnel.

Where are you seeing that the eastern spur is signed 95 North/16E? I think you're awfully confused about the signage in this area. You're talking about stretches of highway that have some of the highest traffic volumes anywhere in the nation, and motorists get around without a problem.
I concede that yes people don't seem to have a problem currently and there is no real reason to change current signage. But I didn't say it was signed as I-95/Exit 16E. I said it was only signed as Exit 16E (and southbound as Exit 17). I just find it tricky because it is signed as if the split is the exit to the Lincoln, not a second alignment of the mainline. I'm kind of on of those people that wishes everything was signed exactly as it is legally, but I also understand the traffic reasons why that's not the case. Just my opinion. And also making sure that it is clear I know how it is currently signed, but also just voicing my opinion about what I'd like it to be signed as.

cl94

Quote from: AMLNet49 on November 02, 2015, 08:37:57 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 02, 2015, 08:19:02 PM

I concede that yes people don't seem to have a problem currently and there is no real reason to change current signage. But I didn't say it was signed as I-95/Exit 16E. I said it was only signed as Exit 16E (and southbound as Exit 17). I just find it tricky because it is signed as if the split is the exit to the Lincoln, not a second alignment of the mainline. I'm kind of on of those people that wishes everything was signed exactly as it is legally, but I also understand the traffic reasons why that's not the case. Just my opinion. And also making sure that it is clear I know how it is currently signed, but also just voicing my opinion about what I'd like it to be signed as.

Do note that signage often directs traffic from I-80 to use the Eastern Spur, likely because that ramp is better-equipped to send traffic that way.

jeffandnicole

And the NJ Turnpike signage is variable, so there's never one specific way it is always signed. 95 could be signed on either/or the eastern or western spur.

roadman65

I lived in NJ for over 25 years and never once in the 20 years the two spurs were there, did anyone complain that there were two route 95's.

Being that the two freeways split and reconnect just a few miles later is not enough for confusion.  True for paperword NJDOT has one route designated as Route 95W, but that is for technical purposes. 

The way it is now is just fine.  It is signed very well, and it gets you through New Jersey.  The only gripe I have is that NJTA does not use control cities but control crossings, which still are good considering that people know where the Lincoln Tunnel and the GWB is, but I prefer Midtown NY for Exit 16E and Uptown NY and Bronx for Exits 18E & W.  Even though that is as classic as the old signs that the NJTA removed for the new MUTCD compliant sign, in a better world I still say the cities and/or boroughs should be used.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MrDisco99

I guess it goes along with the convention of the turnpike not liking to sign places outside New Jersey.  Half of the bridge and tunnel are technically still in the state.

jeffandnicole

I would think for a motorist, a bridge is a better point one can identify with compared to a section of city, which border is generally never marked.

The NJ Turnpike historically never had any destination signage. Today they use Wilmington & New York, even using Wilmington as a travel time destination as well.

odditude

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 06, 2015, 10:22:25 AMThe NJ Turnpike historically never had any destination signage. Today they use Wilmington & New York, even using Wilmington as a travel time destination as well.
The entrances generally had destinations e.g. "New York and NORTH," "Camden and SOUTH."

roadman65

Also mileage signs used to use New York at ten mile intervals going north.  Going south it would use Trenton, Camden, and Delaware Memorial Bridge as mileage controls using the 10 miles multiples.

I believe the SB Truck lanes still has 30 miles to Trenton at Exit 9 even though its longer now that I-195 is used to get there instead of NJ 33 from Exit 8 when the sign was first erected.   Also the 30 mile distance sign for the Delaware Memorial Bridge still may be there south of Exit 4.  Have to check with Jeff on both.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on November 05, 2015, 10:51:56 PM
The only gripe I have is that NJTA does not use control cities but control crossings, which still are good considering that people know where the Lincoln Tunnel and the GWB is, but I prefer Midtown NY for Exit 16E and Uptown NY and Bronx for Exits 18E & W.

"Midtown" (without "NY") would work, but "Uptown" is too broad. There's no one location that's "uptown"–and if there is, it may well be closer to the Lincoln Tunnel than the GWB; I'm thinking Upper West Side and Upper East Side. Also, "uptown" and "upstate" could be confused with one another. "Washington Heights" would be much better understood locally, or "Inwood" if you need something shorter, and of course "Bronx" works just fine too.

swbrotha100

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 02, 2015, 03:44:06 PM

It never has been.  It's just one of the many errors found within Rand McNally's maps.
For years, Rand McNally would have you believe that I-80 and I-95 were multiplexed from Teaneck to the George Washington Bridge.

ASUS ZenFone 2E

roadman65

Quote from: swbrotha100 on November 06, 2015, 02:00:06 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 02, 2015, 03:44:06 PM

For years, Rand McNally would have you believe that I-80 and I-95 were multiplexed from Teaneck to the George Washington Bridge.

ASUS ZenFone 2E

Just like they would have you believe that US 209 between I-80 and PA 33 is a full controlled access freeway when in reality its a four lane divided arterial.

Sheryl Crowe

Duke87

Quote from: roadman65 on November 05, 2015, 10:51:56 PM
The only gripe I have is that NJTA does not use control cities but control crossings, which still are good considering that people know where the Lincoln Tunnel and the GWB is, but I prefer Midtown NY for Exit 16E and Uptown NY and Bronx for Exits 18E & W.

If one agrees with the MUTCD assertion that using the names of the crossings is wrong (I don't), it seems to me that while "Midtown" works as a substitute for the Lincoln Tunnel, "Uptown" does not for the GWB. "Bronx" sorta does, but frankly if we had to ditch the bridge as a control point I'd go ahead and have the signs say "New Haven CT", same as they do on the NY side of the bridge already.

It's tough to pick control points along this segment of 95 since there are lots of prominent cities, but Trenton and New Haven have the advantage of being essentially the outer edge of the NYC metro area in each direction (or at least, they are the termini of NY-bound commuter rail service on the Northeast Corridor).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.