News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massachusetts milepost exit numbering conversion contract

Started by roadman, October 28, 2015, 05:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

Received an email from MassDOT this morning with this information:
"Please be advised that MassDOT will begin converting all exit numbers on freeways to a milepost-based numbering system, per Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) requirements. Work will take place on each corridor in the west to east or north to south direction. Work will typically be completed during the overnight hours and the contractors are required to complete the full interchange before moving along to the next exit.

The following corridor will begin conversion in approximately two weeks [1 week by my calendar]:
Corridor: Route 140
Approximate start and completion dates: Oct. 18 - Oct. 23
Hours of operation: 8:00 PM - 5:00 AM"

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on October 12, 2020, 12:45:13 PM
"Please be advised that MassDOT will begin converting all exit numbers on freeways to a milepost-based numbering system, per Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) requirements. Work will take place on each corridor in the west to east or north to south direction. Work will typically be completed during the overnight hours and the contractors are required to complete the full interchange before moving along to the next exit.

The following corridor will begin conversion in approximately two weeks [1 week by my calendar]:
I would hope they meant east to west direction.

odditude

Quote from: Alps on October 12, 2020, 04:30:20 PM

i think they're talking about the work itself, not the direction in which the numbers will increase. working in the same direction as the numbering goes could result in temporary duplicate exit numbering.

bob7374

Quote from: odditude on October 12, 2020, 06:01:45 PM

i think they're talking about the work itself, not the direction in which the numbers will increase. working in the same direction as the numbering goes could result in temporary duplicate exit numbering.
They meant east to west, its how they describe how the work will proceed on their website. Someone didn't proofread before sending the email out. However, renumbering north to south could be a problem for I-93 where the new exit numbers are all lower than the current ones. This could lead to some temporary duplicate exit numbers. For example, if the numbers in the O'Neill Tunnel are changed before those to the south, a driver on I-93 North would see numbers progress up to 15, 16, 18, 20 then go back to 17 then a duplicate 18 then 20. Perhaps they should start I-93 at the southern end and work north.

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on October 12, 2020, 10:39:48 PM

They meant east to west, its how they describe how the work will proceed on their website. Someone didn't proofread before sending the email out. However, renumbering north to south could be a problem for I-93 where the new exit numbers are all lower than the current ones. This could lead to some temporary duplicate exit numbers. For example, if the numbers in the O'Neill Tunnel are changed before those to the south, a driver on I-93 North would see numbers progress up to 15, 16, 18, 20 then go back to 17 then a duplicate 18 then 20. Perhaps they should start I-93 at the southern end and work north.
I hope they have thought this through and only do work in chunks that make sense. But... not holding my breath.

5foot14

According to the Contractor Documents and Special Provisions pdf that I found on the Bidx site, I93 will be converted south to north for that reason.
Excerpt from the document:

IMPLEMENTATION SCHEDULE
The contractor shall implement the new exit numbers beginning from the northern-most end of
the corridor working their way south or from the eastern-most end of the corridor working their
way west. Implementation of I-93 will be the exception where construction shall begin in the
southern-most end and work north. This is due to the fact that all new exit numbers proposed on
I-93 will be lower than the existing number.

US Route 6 shall be the last corridor to be implemented.

Once the contractor has begun construction and implementation of the new exit numbers on a
corridor, they must complete that corridor before moving on to the next. In order to avoid
confusion from the public, any disruptions in the middle of a corridor of more than 3 days must
be coordinated and approved by the Engineer prior to the interruption in implementation.

Full document is available below (FYI its a download link), text was taken from page 266 of the pdf.

https://www.bidx.com/ma/attachment?filekey=634eabb0-a1c5-11ea-b814-e2690017612b/files/99892962-ace0-11ea-97d1-c045abd10e4d.pdf&drive=1

roadman

Quote from: Alps on October 12, 2020, 11:42:09 PM

I hope they have thought this through and only do work in chunks that make sense. But... not holding my breath.

I-93 is planned to be renumbered from south to north, largely for the reasons you have indicated.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

The Ghostbuster

The first 12 or so exits on Interstate 93 will not get new numbers, so it is likely that the first exit that will get a new number is Exit 14: Morrissey Blvd. which will be changed to 13B (technically, Exit 13: Victory Rd. will become 13A). I also find it interesting that every exit north of Morrissey Blvd. will get a number that is lower than the existing sequential number. Even the last exit before entering New Hampshire, Exit 48 will become Exit 46.

bob7374

MassDOT Blog post about the upcoming exit renumbering on MA 140 starting Sunday night. The text states the renumbering will be from Taunton to New Bedford, when actually it will be just from Taunton to East Freetown:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/uncategorized/federally-required-exit-renumbering-beginning-on-rt-140-the-week-of-oct-18/

bob7374

bob7374

Short report on NBC 10 regarding the start of exit renumbering tonight on MA 140. The interesting thing is they use video of signs along I-93 in Quincy where the exit numbers aren't changing:
https://www.nbcboston.com/on-air/as-seen-on/exit-renumbering-begins-tonight-on-route-140/2214052/

kramie13

WCVB had a story on the news this morning about the new exit numbers.  You can see actual video footage of the first mile-based numbers going up:
https://www.wcvb.com/article/massachusetts-exit-numbers-change-begins-route-140-first/34413239

Ben114

Quote from: kramie13 on October 19, 2020, 10:30:06 AM
WCVB had a story on the news this morning about the new exit numbers.  You can see actual video footage of the first mile-based numbers going up:
https://www.wcvb.com/article/massachusetts-exit-numbers-change-begins-route-140-first/34413239

The day we have all been waiting for.....has come.

epzik8

Didn't Massachusetts request an exemption from mileage-based exits but got denied?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: epzik8 on October 19, 2020, 04:36:57 PM
Didn't Massachusetts request an exemption from mileage-based exits but got denied?

Yes, and Rhode Island did try to do that as well, but they got denied as well.

bob7374

From my quick trip to check out the new exit numbers on MA 140. Only the MA 24 exit signs were changed. The new number sign photos (and a couple not yet renumbered) for MA 140 are at:
http://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#photos

It appears the contractor will only be doing 1 exit per night. The 5 exits on MA 140 will take up this week. Work on I-195 is to start next Sunday night and renumbering its 22 exits are scheduled to take 4 weeks.

roadman

Quote from: epzik8 on October 19, 2020, 04:36:57 PM

Yes.   Shortly after the 2009 MUTCD was enacted,  Massachusetts and the other sequential states jointly wrote FHWA and requested an exemption from the requirement to convert to milepost based numbering.   The request was denied shortly thereafter.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Ben114

I have received an email about the next corridor for renumbering, I-195.

Please be advised that MassDOT will begin converting all exit numbers on freeways to a milepost-based numbering system, per Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) requirements. Work will take place on each corridor in the east to west or north to south direction. Work will typically be completed during the overnight hours and the contractors are required to complete the full interchange before moving along to the next exit.

The following corridor will begin conversion in approximately two weeks:   

• Corridor: Interstate 195
  • Approximate start and completion dates: Oct. 25 - Nov. 20
  • Hours of operation:  8:00 PM - 5:00 AM

For more information on the project please visit the project's website. If needed, a GIS shapefile with the specific numbering information is available on Massachusetts' GeoDOT site.

If this pace continues, we should see MA 25 complete around Thanksgiving, and the next routes announced by the end of November or early December.

bob7374

I've uploaded photos taken over the past week of the newly renumbered signs along MA 140 between Taunton and Freetown. They are available in the photo gallery of my New England Exit Renumbering Central website:
http://malmeroads.net/mass21c/neexitrenumbering.html#photos

kramie13

For the MA 140 renumbering, I don't understand why they didn't renumber exits 2-4.  They're closer to mileposts 1-3!

I've also noticed that in Massachusetts, if you go north/east I-95, I-93, or the Mass. Pike (I-90), you started with Exit 2, not 1.  Thankfully mile-based exits will make this a moot point.

5foot14

Quote from: kramie13 on October 29, 2020, 11:59:15 AM
For the MA 140 renumbering, I don't understand why they didn't renumber exits 2-4.  They're closer to mileposts 1-3!

I've also noticed that in Massachusetts, if you go north/east I-95, I-93, or the Mass. Pike (I-90), you started with Exit 2, not 1.  Thankfully mile-based exits will make this a moot point.

According to the plans,  both I-95 and I-93 will retain their existing southbound only Exit 1's since Massachusetts is not going to be utilizing Exit 0.  I-90 Exit 1, which is westbound only,  will change to Exit 3.

SM-A515U

bob7374

bob7374

Looks like progress on renumbering I-195 has been faster than MassDOT expected, therefore they sent the following email out this afternoon:
Statewide Exit Renumbering Project

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is announcing construction updates on the Statewide Exit Renumbering Project. MassDOT is converting all exit numbers on freeways to a milepost-based numbering system, per Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) requirements. Construction began in the Fall of 2020 and is anticipated to end in Summer 2021. Work on Route 25 and Route 3 will begin in 'mid-November' on the following approximate dates:
Route 25: November 8, 2020
Route 3: November 15, 2020
Please note that all work is weather dependent and start dates may be adjusted accordingly.

Work will take place on each corridor in the east to west or north to south direction. Work will typically be completed during the overnight hours. Construction schedule updates are posted regularly to the project website. For more information on the project, to submit a comment or question, or to sign up for construction updates, please visit the project website: newmassexits.com

MA Route 25 wasn't suppose to start until later in November. I was somewhat surprised that US 6 was not the next route chosen after 25, at the public hearing people on the Cape said if it was going to happen anyway then they should do it as soon as possible so everyone could update their information before the next vacation season.

Ben114

Quote from: bob7374 on October 30, 2020, 09:46:17 PM
I was somewhat surprised that US 6 was not the next route chosen after 25, at the public hearing people on the Cape said if it was going to happen anyway then they should do it as soon as possible so everyone could update their information before the next vacation season.

US 6 is supposed to be the last road converted. (emphasis added)

Quote from: 5foot14 on October 14, 2020, 09:46:52 AM
According to the Contractor Documents and Special Provisions pdf that I found on the Bidx site, I-93 will be converted south to north for that reason.

IMPLEMENTATION SCHEDULE
The contractor shall implement the new exit numbers beginning from the northern-most end of
the corridor working their way south or from the eastern-most end of the corridor working their
way west. Implementation of I-93 will be the exception where construction shall begin in the
southern-most end and work north. This is due to the fact that all new exit numbers proposed on

Once the contractor has begun construction and implementation of the new exit numbers on a
corridor, they must complete that corridor before moving on to the next. In order to avoid
confusion from the public, any disruptions in the middle of a corridor of more than 3 days must
be coordinated and approved by the Engineer prior to the interruption in implementation.

Full document is available below (FYI its a download link), text was taken from page 266 of the pdf.

https://www.bidx.com/ma/attachment?filekey=634eabb0-a1c5-11ea-b814-e2690017612b/files/99892962-ace0-11ea-97d1-c045abd10e4d.pdf&drive=1

bob7374

Quote from: Ben114 on October 30, 2020, 11:22:04 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on October 30, 2020, 09:46:17 PM
I was somewhat surprised that US 6 was not the next route chosen after 25, at the public hearing people on the Cape said if it was going to happen anyway then they should do it as soon as possible so everyone could update their information before the next vacation season.

US 6 is supposed to be the last road converted. (emphasis added)

Quote from: 5foot14 on October 14, 2020, 09:46:52 AM
According to the Contractor Documents and Special Provisions pdf that I found on the Bidx site, I-93 will be converted south to north for that reason.

IMPLEMENTATION SCHEDULE

Based on this entry from the MassDOT project listing, it appears they are trying to complete all the routes in District 5 by the end of the year, and notice one of the places exits will be changed:
"Work began on this Contract on Sunday, October 18. It is expected that the sign replacements along the contracted corridors will continue into late Spring 2021. Through the rest of 2020, work will be focused in the South Coast and Cape Cod (MassDOT District 5). Work on the remaining corridors will follow through the end of May 2021. (as of 11/04/2020)."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.