AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Driving Forward OK  (Read 31476 times)

Bobby5280

• Last Login: August 20, 2018, 12:06:27 AM
Re: Driving Forward OK
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »

I heard the new toll plaza on I-44 between Lawton and Chickasha will open next Tuesday evening, February 13. I wonder how long it will take to demolish the old toll plaza on the South side of Chickasha.

bugo

• Last Login: Today at 07:00:32 AM
    • No Frills Blog
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2018, 06:16:53 PM »

The new toll plaza on the Muskogee Turnpike at Coweta has been open for a few months now.
Down with the Federalists! The Whigs are ruining the country! Impeach Jefferson!

rte66man

• Last Login: August 20, 2018, 09:17:31 PM
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2018, 08:21:11 AM »

What an ugly looking toll plaza.  Up here, our tollway authority has been building things like this: https://goo.gl/maps/HgrQRP8rXnq

What's the purpose of the walkway above the toll plaza?

That's an optical illusion.  Go back to post #149.  There is a closeup that shows each direction has 2 gantries, one for the signage and one for the Pikepass readers
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 08:44:33 AM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2018, 11:18:15 AM »

What an ugly looking toll plaza.  Up here, our tollway authority has been building things like this: https://goo.gl/maps/HgrQRP8rXnq

That's an optical illusion.  Go back to post #149.  There is a closeup that shows each direction has 2 gantries, one for the signage and one for the Pikepass readers

The walkway above the toll plaza in the link given is in Illinois. Post #149 is in Oklahoma. The walkway above the toll plaza definitely exists and is not an optical illusion.
Clinched, plus MA 108

Traveled, plus:
US ⒉⒔50
MA ⒐⒙22.40.99.10⒎10⒏1⒒1⒚127.141.15⒐286
NH 27,111A
NY 366
GA 42,140
FL A1A
CT 32

Flickr

rte66man

• Last Login: August 20, 2018, 09:17:31 PM
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2018, 01:44:18 PM »

Sorry, I thought they were referring to the Elgin, OK plaza.

The walkway above the toll plaza in the link given is in Illinois. Post #149 is in Oklahoma. The walkway above the toll plaza definitely exists and is not an optical illusion.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

• Last Login: Today at 07:00:32 AM
    • No Frills Blog
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2018, 06:30:27 AM »

The turnpikes hit peak traffic in 2008 and have been declining slowly but steadily since then. Heck, even on the busier turnpikes like Muskogee and Turner, there are some days where it's possible to drive 15-20 minutes not see another car; this wasn't possible even when I moved to Tulsa in 2010.

I can't believe you really believe your statement in bold above.  I've been riding/driving the Turner since the early 60's.  It has NEVER had so little traffic that you could go 15-20 minutes w/o seeing any traffic, even at 3 in the morning (which I did quite a bit while at college at TU).  I have NEVER been on any stretch of the Turner at any time of the day or night that I have gone more than 3 minutes w/o seeing other traffic.

The stretch of the Muskogee Turnpike west of Muskogee has heavy traffic at times. The stretch south ("east") of Muskogee is less busy, but 15 or 20 minutes without seeing another vehicle? That's ludicrous. Even at 4am you might go 3 minutes without meeting another car. What a laughable thing to say.

Nexus 5X

Down with the Federalists! The Whigs are ruining the country! Impeach Jefferson!

In_Correct

• Last Login: August 19, 2018, 07:00:09 AM
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2018, 07:28:59 AM »

I was on the Turnpike sections of Interstate 44. While Interstate 35 has much more traffic, Interstate 44 Turnpikes are filled with traffic.

Bobby5280

• Last Login: August 20, 2018, 12:06:27 AM
« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2018, 03:32:45 PM »

Even though I-44 doesn't have its number ending in a "5" or "0" it is still a major route in the Interstate system. It's basically the main road linking the NE United States to destinations in the Southwest US. The road needs at least 3 lanes in each direction between OKC and Tulsa. I think there's other stretches of it in Oklahoma and Missouri that should be widened as well.

MikieTimT

• Last Login: Today at 09:35:42 AM
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2018, 09:41:29 PM »

Even though I-44 doesn't have its number ending in a "5" or "0" it is still a major route in the Interstate system. It's basically the main road linking the NE United States to destinations in the Southwest US. The road needs at least 3 lanes in each direction between OKC and Tulsa. I think there's other stretches of it in Oklahoma and Missouri that should be widened as well.

I would second that.  Between those stretches, and I-40 between L.R. and Memphis should take care of most of the bottlenecks in mid-America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.