AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The next forum trivia night will take place on OCTOBER 30, 2019 at 8:15 PM Eastern.

Author Topic: Maryland  (Read 14313 times)

ARMOURERERIC

• Last Login: November 21, 2019, 09:48:41 PM
Re: Maryland
« Reply #1750 on: October 28, 2019, 11:57:06 PM »

Has anything ever happened  with the US 219 project north of 68?

TheOneKEA

• Last Login: November 20, 2019, 06:46:01 PM
« Reply #1751 on: October 29, 2019, 05:58:57 AM »

Will anything ever happen with the US 219 bypass in Oakland?

ixnay

• Last Login: November 21, 2019, 08:42:19 PM
« Reply #1752 on: October 29, 2019, 08:11:55 AM »

Is that supposed to be widening?  Dualization?  Major reconstruction?

ixnay

BrianP

• Last Login: November 21, 2019, 05:59:20 PM
« Reply #1753 on: October 29, 2019, 10:17:43 AM »

It doesn't look promising to me. 
8/2/2019   MDOT SHA is currently evaluating the purpose and need for the US 219 Oakland project. The results of this evaluation will determine what transportation issues need to be addressed, and what strategies and solutions can be implemented to address current needs. This evaluation will be completed by Fall 2019.
http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/ProjectSchedule.aspx?projectno=GA5992111
It's been stuck in a holding pattern for at least 5 years. 

BrianP

• Last Login: November 21, 2019, 05:59:20 PM
« Reply #1754 on: October 29, 2019, 10:21:54 AM »

10/1/2019   This project is currently at 40.2% and is expected to be totally completed by end of construction season 2020.

Construction crews recently completed installing manholes and inlets on the Northbound side of US 40 Alt. Excavation was started on the footers for the bridge on the North side of US 40 Alt.

Currently crews will be working on placing common borrow on North bound and South bound lanes, North side of US 40 Alt. excavating for retaining wall 2 will be continuing and construction for building the bridge over Us 40 Alt. will continue.

No impact to traffic at this time
http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/ProjectSchedule.aspx?projectno=GA6465211

74/171FAN

• Last Login: November 21, 2019, 06:25:16 AM
« Reply #1755 on: October 29, 2019, 04:14:28 PM »

10/1/2019   This project is currently at 40.2% and is expected to be totally completed by end of construction season 2020.

Construction crews recently completed installing manholes and inlets on the Northbound side of US 40 Alt. Excavation was started on the footers for the bridge on the North side of US 40 Alt.

Currently crews will be working on placing common borrow on North bound and South bound lanes, North side of US 40 Alt. excavating for retaining wall 2 will be continuing and construction for building the bridge over Us 40 Alt. will continue.

No impact to traffic at this time
http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/ProjectSchedule.aspx?projectno=GA6465211

I saw work on this when I drove US 219 north of I-68 in order to finish my clinch of it back in August.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

TheOneKEA

« Reply #1756 on: October 29, 2019, 07:42:09 PM »

8/2/2019   MDOT SHA is currently evaluating the purpose and need for the US 219 Oakland project. The results of this evaluation will determine what transportation issues need to be addressed, and what strategies and solutions can be implemented to address current needs. This evaluation will be completed by Fall 2019.
http://apps.roads.maryland.gov/WebProjectLifeCycle/ProjectSchedule.aspx?projectno=GA5992111

Thatís disappointing. US 219 is quite busy within Oakland town limits and carries a lot of through tourist traffic and some heavy trucks to/from I-68, Deep Creek Lake, the Monongahela National Forest and Canaan Valley. Removal of that through traffic would allow Third St to be streetscaped and improve the pedestrian facilities.

I checked the 2018 AADT for US 219 in Oakland. Third St handled an average of 14052 vehicles, with the segment just north of the intersection with MD 39 handling 11582 vehicles. The segment of US 219 between MD 39 and MD 135 handled 12782 vehicles and the segment of Maryland Hwy beyond the US 219 intersection handled 10612 vehicles. Are these numbers small enough to make a relatively basic and simple bypass of the sort proposed for US 219 marginal enough to be discarded?

bluecountry

• Last Login: October 29, 2019, 09:00:20 PM
« Reply #1757 on: October 29, 2019, 09:01:18 PM »

Why is Maryland expanding the I-95 Toll lanes only northbound to Rt 24, and not southbound?
Any plans to do it both ways?
The MD legislature passed a law that set a debt limit for MDTA, severely curtailing their ability to build new facilities or expand existing ones.
Will they eventually be southbound?
I wonder why they choose just north first?

TheOneKEA

« Reply #1758 on: October 30, 2019, 08:10:38 PM »

Why is Maryland expanding the I-95 Toll lanes only northbound to Rt 24, and not southbound?
Any plans to do it both ways?
The MD legislature passed a law that set a debt limit for MDTA, severely curtailing their ability to build new facilities or expand existing ones.
Will they eventually be southbound?
I wonder why they choose just north first?

I-95 between MP 70 and MP 78 experiences a disproportionate number of crashes, on both sides of the highway, especially in the vicinity of Exit 74. I-95 north also experiences significant backups between MP 73 and Exit 77 due to the northbound lane drop and the weaving onto the exit ramps for MD 24/924. Constructing the northbound carriageway first will decrease the chances of the second problem occurring, and help address the first.

I remember reading that additional money had been appropriated to allow both sides of the ETLs to be built at the same time; clearly something has changed and the northbound carriageway is the only one planned to be built for now.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: November 21, 2019, 08:16:16 PM
« Reply #1759 on: November 01, 2019, 10:33:48 PM »

I-95 between MP 70 and MP 78 experiences a disproportionate number of crashes, on both sides of the highway, especially in the vicinity of Exit 74. I-95 north also experiences significant backups between MP 73 and Exit 77 due to the northbound lane drop and the weaving onto the exit ramps for MD 24/924. Constructing the northbound carriageway first will decrease the chances of the second problem occurring, and help address the first.

I remember reading that additional money had been appropriated to allow both sides of the ETLs to be built at the same time; clearly something has changed and the northbound carriageway is the only one planned to be built for now.

There is generally no money appropriated by the General Assembly for any MDTA road projects, with some exceptions.

The agency is "unbudgeted," meaning that it usually gets no (tax) dollars from the General Fund and no (tax) dollars from the Transportation Trust Fund.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sprjus4

• Last Login: November 21, 2019, 09:25:57 PM
« Reply #1760 on: November 02, 2019, 07:20:12 AM »

There is generally no money appropriated by the General Assembly for any MDTA road projects, with some exceptions.

The agency is "unbudgeted," meaning that it usually gets no (tax) dollars from the General Fund and no (tax) dollars from the Transportation Trust Fund.
In fairness, itís a toll agency. Tax dollars IMO shouldnít fund something that in return you still have to pay -again- in tolls. Itís either toll funded, or tax funded. I agree with that policy.

TheOneKEA

« Reply #1761 on: November 02, 2019, 09:12:15 AM »

In fairness, itís a toll agency. Tax dollars IMO shouldnít fund something that in return you still have to pay -again- in tolls. Itís either toll funded, or tax funded. I agree with that policy.

Thatís logical. Apparently I misinterpreted this report when it was posted on the forum.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 12:25:49 AM
« Reply #1762 on: November 02, 2019, 09:36:58 AM »

Thatís logical. Apparently I misinterpreted this report when it was posted on the forum.
Money is fungible.  I have no problem with the concept of toll-assisted project funding (combination of toll revenue bonds and tax funding accounts).  Depends on what is needed to get the project funded.

MDTA does utilize some funding from state and federal tax funds.

https://www.transportation.gov/tifia/financed-projects/intercounty-connector

Funding Sources:
Federal
-- GARVEE Bonds: $788.1M (backed by future Federal aid receipts)
-- Special Federal Funds: $19.3M (National Corridor Planning and Border Infrastructure Program funding, SAFETEA-LU National Corridor Improvement Program and high priority project funding)
State
-- MdTA Toll Revenue Bonds and Cash: $800.7M (backed by future MdTA system toll revenue)
-- TIFIA Loan: $516M (backed by future MdTA system toll revenue)
-- State of Maryland Transportation Trust Fund: $180M (motor fuel tax receipts, motor vehicle excise taxes, motor vehicle fees, corporate income taxes, operating revenues)
-- State of Maryland General Fund and General Obligation Bonds: $264.9M
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to rest, and resting died.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: November 21, 2019, 02:58:52 PM
« Reply #1763 on: November 02, 2019, 07:23:22 PM »

Thatís disappointing. US 219 is quite busy within Oakland town limits and carries a lot of through tourist traffic and some heavy trucks to/from I-68, Deep Creek Lake, the Monongahela National Forest and Canaan Valley. Removal of that through traffic would allow Third St to be streetscaped and improve the pedestrian facilities.

I checked the 2018 AADT for US 219 in Oakland. Third St handled an average of 14052 vehicles, with the segment just north of the intersection with MD 39 handling 11582 vehicles. The segment of US 219 between MD 39 and MD 135 handled 12782 vehicles and the segment of Maryland Hwy beyond the US 219 intersection handled 10612 vehicles. Are these numbers small enough to make a relatively basic and simple bypass of the sort proposed for US 219 marginal enough to be discarded?

I can't speak to Maryland's funding priorities, but I do agree a bypass of Oakland would be helpful in serving through traffic and getting it out of downtown. It would probably also pull traffic off the county-maintained Sand Flat Road, which serves as a shortcut between MD 560/Loch Lynn Heights and the north.

While not quite as bad, development and tourist traffic around Deep Creek Lake is turning that stretch of US 219 into a slower-moving slog during busier times of the year. I don't see any readily feasible fixes for that area, unfortunately.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.