News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate Speed Limit Compact

Started by brycecordry, January 17, 2016, 02:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 20, 2016, 12:10:42 AM
Maybe the states should work together so that "State A" puts up W3-5's to denote the lowered speed limit at the state line ahead in "State B" instead of moving the imaginary line further down the road. I see that is being currently done in a few places.

This I can get behind. The concept of the speed compact could instead be that a state agrees to allow/require an adjacent state to post an appropriate W3-5 sign where speed limits drop 10mph or more at the state line.

E.g.: If the hypothetical speed limit on I-15 southbound is 75 in Nevada and 65 in California, then NDOT approves for Caltrans to post the appropriate W3-5 warning signs in Nevada just before crossing the state line into California. That sign would be maintained by Caltrans (or NDOT compensated by Caltrans for said sign), and updated/removed as necessary if the speed limit in California ever changes.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ukfan758

Regarding interstates, I don't think a uniform system could be implemented because there are so many different variables and unique situations that there would be so many exceptions to the rules made. However, I do think that all states should consider increasing their speed limits, this would be my plan in regards to my state, Kentucky for limited access freeways:

Plan A (the four 5's)

• 55mph: Urban areas and some mountain areas (Louisville urban I-64, 65, 71, 264; Covington/Cincinnati urban I-71/75, 275, 471)
  • 65mph: Suburban areas (Louisville Suburban 65, 64, 71, 265; Covington/Cincinnati suburban I-71/75.)
  • 75mph: Exurbs; Rural, but highly traveled interstates; rural but low traveled interstates that are not safe at the next tier (Exurbs: I-24 near Paducah; Louisville I-71, 64, 65; Lexington I-75 and I-64; High Traveled Rural Interstates: I-65, I-71, and I-64 between Louisville and Lexington. 
  • 85mph: Rural, but low traveled interstates and other limited access highways (I-24, I-69, all of the parkways bar the Mountain and Rodgers parkways. 

Plan B (The three 0's):

• 60mph: Urban and mountain areas
  • 70mph: Suburban Areas
  • 80mph: Exurbs and rural

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.