AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Coronavirus pandemic  (Read 95620 times)

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 09:57:03 AM
    • Gribblenation
Re: Coronavirus pandemic
« Reply #4700 on: July 09, 2020, 08:24:26 PM »

Which stat is more dubious..  Trump saying that 99% of the virus is totally harmless or Anderson Cooper citing that the fatality rate of the virus is 4.6%? 

Well, 99% of a gun is harmless.  It's only the bullet that's harmful.

Both are examples of political spin that shouldnít be at the forefront of any emergency. 

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 07:31:45 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #4701 on: July 09, 2020, 09:10:57 PM »

Most of these "shortages" were just spikes in demand that production had to catch up on. The toilet paper one was particularly vexing to solve because the production capacity was there, but set up to make that sandpaper stuff they put in commercial buildings, presumably because managers are afraid if they put actual toilet paper in there, people will spend all day shitting instead of working? I don't know.

All about saving a buck on office supplies.  If splintered toilet paper was still around Iím sure it would be massively bulk ordered if it was a cheaper option.

But of course. Why spend $5 more a month on toilet paper, when you can just reverse the hit to employee morale with Wacky Tie Day?

Because itís the philosophy of most workplaces that everyone is replaceable and can quit if they donít like their job.  That mindset subsided for awhile with ďessential workersĒ during the pandemic but it sure is rearing up again now that things are opening back up. 

I'd submit that the level of success in beating back this philosophy is what separates the mediocre companies from the truly successful ones.

stormwatch7721

• Last Login: July 09, 2020, 11:22:03 PM
« Reply #4702 on: July 09, 2020, 09:13:22 PM »

I don't think a vaccine nor treatment is being worked on.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #4703 on: July 09, 2020, 09:22:23 PM »

Most of these "shortages" were just spikes in demand that production had to catch up on. The toilet paper one was particularly vexing to solve because the production capacity was there, but set up to make that sandpaper stuff they put in commercial buildings, presumably because managers are afraid if they put actual toilet paper in there, people will spend all day shitting instead of working? I don't know.

All about saving a buck on office supplies.  If splintered toilet paper was still around Iím sure it would be massively bulk ordered if it was a cheaper option.

But of course. Why spend $5 more a month on toilet paper, when you can just reverse the hit to employee morale with Wacky Tie Day?

Because itís the philosophy of most workplaces that everyone is replaceable and can quit if they donít like their job.  That mindset subsided for awhile with ďessential workersĒ during the pandemic but it sure is rearing up again now that things are opening back up. 

I'd submit that the level of success in beating back this philosophy is what separates the mediocre companies from the truly successful ones.

I donít necessarily disagree, especially the further back in time you go.  The trouble is now that treating staff like a complete crap/garbage tends to push the most talented people away to other employers.  There are some industries where that is more apparent than other.  Anything entry level tends to operate as plug and replace, that likely will never change since there is so much demand for those jobs. 

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 03:44:32 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #4704 on: July 09, 2020, 10:24:32 PM »

Where's your evidence?

The Milken Institute has a list of 190 vaccine studies currently in progress. Three of them (AstraZeneca/Oxford, CanSino, and Moderna/NIAID) have moved into Phase II trials that will last until the end of the year.

A viable vaccine takes a long time to develop, so don't expect daily updates. But it is happening, and has been in progress since the first vaccine trials began in Seattle in mid-March.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #4705 on: July 09, 2020, 10:35:57 PM »

Where's your evidence?

The Milken Institute has a list of 190 vaccine studies currently in progress. Three of them (AstraZeneca/Oxford, CanSino, and Moderna/NIAID) have moved into Phase II trials that will last until the end of the year.

A viable vaccine takes a long time to develop, so don't expect daily updates. But it is happening, and has been in progress since the first vaccine trials began in Seattle in mid-March.

Isnít there over half a dozen vaccines currently in any level of trial phases?  Given weíre talking a slow mutating Coronavirus itís only likely a matter of time before at least one viable vaccine is fully approved.  The notion of world wide distribution or requiring a populace to get it are other matters all together. 

Duke87

• Last Login: Today at 02:18:58 AM
« Reply #4706 on: July 09, 2020, 11:18:47 PM »

Where's your evidence?

For that matter, where's your motive? Why would no one be working on either of these things?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

stormwatch7721

• Last Login: July 09, 2020, 11:22:03 PM
« Reply #4707 on: July 09, 2020, 11:21:00 PM »

For what I'm concerned, The vaccine might not work enough.

Scott5114

« Reply #4708 on: July 09, 2020, 11:25:16 PM »

CanSino

Sounds like something you'd call a vending machine that may or may not dispense the beverage you paid for.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #4709 on: July 09, 2020, 11:40:54 PM »

Based off of?

Brian556

• Last Login: July 09, 2020, 11:52:10 PM
« Reply #4710 on: July 09, 2020, 11:47:15 PM »

I have IBS, so I use the restroom at work more than the average person. At least at my last two employers, I have not had any issues with their toilet paper. I cant tell a difference between it and the Angel Soft that I use at home.

Paper towels are another story. Target was using Scott, which is pretty good, when I started there. Then they switched to Cascade. Their paper towels were useless, and would not absorb anything. This made cleaning up minor spills difficult, and meant that we would have to go get the mop more often than before

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: Today at 01:48:29 AM
    • old interstate plans
« Reply #4711 on: Today at 12:59:28 AM »

Deaths starting to go up in Florida:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/florida-reports-record-high-coronavirus-deaths-single-day

It's coming. Deaths lag behind cases.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

New Interstate plans:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?mid=1iR-EhsnAaBtsadqOPdZqMTHr17bKjNlB&ll=45.48421495543849%2C-76.02345977441325&z=7

STLmapboy

• Last Login: Today at 10:14:00 AM
« Reply #4712 on: Today at 01:20:50 AM »

https://www.foxnews.com/health/florida-reports-record-high-coronavirus-deaths-single-day

America's been pretty good about deaths so far, at or below other countries (in stark contrast to the case rate).
Teenage STL area roadgeek/avgeek.
Every time a span wire is replaced with a mast arm an angel gets its wings

Scott5114

« Reply #4713 on: Today at 02:39:07 AM »

America's been pretty good about deaths so far, at or below other countries (in stark contrast to the case rate).

133,000 deaths is in no way pretty good. That is just under a quarter of the deaths worldwide. The US doesn't have anywhere near 25% of the world population.

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 03:44:32 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #4714 on: Today at 03:34:24 AM »

The U.S. is second in terms of deaths per 100,000 residents (40.44), only behind the United Kingdom (67.08).

We're in the same neighborhood as Chile (35.10), Peru (34.80), Brazil (32.45), and Brazil (32.45).

The worst continental European nation is Russia at 7.37. That's a world apart from us.

tradephoric

• Last Login: Today at 10:07:36 AM
« Reply #4715 on: Today at 04:20:50 AM »

It's undeniable that the UK was hit hard by this pandemic in terms of deaths, worse than the US.  Here's a rolling 7-day average of the daily confirmed COVID-19 deaths per million people.

tradephoric

• Last Login: Today at 10:07:36 AM
« Reply #4716 on: Today at 04:21:58 AM »

^Of course stats like this are all a numbers game.  If you compare per capita deaths in the UK to the Northeast region of the United States then the UK doesn't look so bad.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 05:40:14 AM
« Reply #4717 on: Today at 05:40:14 AM »

CanSino

Sounds like something you'd call a vending machine that may or may not dispense the beverage you paid for.

For a Spanish speaker like me that sounds like someone you're tired of hearing.
Proud of having clinched all North Dakota Interstates... on Street View.

There's no such thing as a "multi-state route", it's just as many state routes as states implied that happen to have the same number.

All times 6 hours behind my real time unless otherwise noted.

SEWIGuy

• Last Login: Today at 10:29:08 AM
« Reply #4718 on: Today at 09:07:15 AM »

A vaccine even as good as the influenza vaccine would make a huge difference.

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 10:44:54 AM
« Reply #4719 on: Today at 10:14:05 AM »

The U.S. is second in terms of deaths per 100,000 residents (40.44), only behind the United Kingdom (67.08).

We're in the same neighborhood as Chile (35.10), Peru (34.80), Brazil (32.45), and Brazil (32.45).

The worst continental European nation is Russia at 7.37. That's a world apart from us.

But what about deaths per positive case?  That's a more meaningful comparison to make.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

SEWIGuy

• Last Login: Today at 10:29:08 AM
« Reply #4720 on: Today at 10:19:30 AM »

But what about deaths per positive case?  That's a more meaningful comparison to make.

That stat tells us how well we manage the case once we have a positive, but does nothing to show how poorly we are containing the virus in the first place.  Which is the root of the problem.

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 10:44:54 AM
« Reply #4721 on: Today at 10:23:00 AM »

Positive cases per total population = How well we're containing the virus.

Deaths per positive cases = How well we're managing cases.

At least, that's the way I look at it.  Deaths per total population is just a function of the other two things.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.