News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Washington

Started by jakeroot, May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Quote from: KEK Inc. on August 22, 2022, 09:30:54 PM
Probably not the case, but did the sunset highway go through there?  I'd assume US-10 went through Moses Lake to the north.

US 10 was routed basically along modern I-90 + WA 171 + I-90 Business through Moses Lake.

Bruce

The SR 506 overpass is cursed, it seems. Southbound half was recently demolished because it was struck by a truck and had structural issues, and now the northbound half has been struck and damaged.

https://twitter.com/wsdot_sw/status/1573005024963469312

kkt

I don't suppose while they're rebuilding it they'll build it taller so that it doesn't get run into about once a year?

Henry

Quote from: kkt on September 22, 2022, 09:46:18 PM
I don't suppose while they're rebuilding it they'll build it taller so that it doesn't get run into about once a year?

Yeah, that's exactly what they need to do. Either that or lower the freeway so that this does not happen again.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Algorithm

Well, they were scheduled to set the girders for the south half this weekend, but hopefully that gets postponed now that the whole bridge needs replacing.  Once the new girders are in, any effort to raise the bridge deck becomes a lot harder.

Bruce

WSDOT decided to start expansion joint repairs on I-90 at 10 am on a Friday. Predictably, SR 520 and basically most highways around Bellevue were gridlocked for hours.

Apparently some people trying to reach Mercer Island or even I-90 EB from Bellevue Way were stuck for several hours.

https://twitter.com/wsdot_traffic/status/1573506154583699457

Alps

I was told to take 82 exit 122 and check out old pavement to the south on Bofer Canyon Road. So it's there... you bear left in a mile down a gravel road and there it is to the right of the gate in .4 miles. I drove it and I'm not sure I recommend the same... plant life... who else has been down there?

kkt

Yay for Link light rail fixing the new fare machines!  When first installed in the spring they just beeped, whether you were going into the light rail system or out of it, and without showing anything about your fare balance.  Now it shows whether you were going in or out and what your remaining balance is, so you can see if your automatic debiting of your checking (or whatever) account is working before you get stuck unable to ride.

pderocco

Quote from: Alps on September 25, 2022, 02:09:35 PM
I was told to take 82 exit 122 and check out old pavement to the south on Bofer Canyon Road. So it's there... you bear left in a mile down a gravel road and there it is to the right of the gate in .4 miles. I drove it and I'm not sure I recommend the same... plant life... who else has been down there?

Wow. In addition to the gravel, four different vintages of pavement (including the Interstate).

They really blew a wad on those frontage roads, with full striping.

I like the way the gravel road snakes through the circular farm fields further down.

Alps

Quote from: pderocco on September 25, 2022, 08:07:35 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 25, 2022, 02:09:35 PM

Wow. In addition to the gravel, four different vintages of pavement (including the Interstate).

They really blew a wad on those frontage roads, with full striping.

I like the way the gravel road snakes through the circular farm fields further down.

The gravel is private really. I am guessing they either ripped out or overlaid the original pavement to the gate.

Bruce

Bellevue is moving forward with its "Grand Connection" plan, which will include a lid over I-405 between 4th and 6th streets in a later phase.

https://downtownbellevue.com/2022/11/11/amazon-matches-city-bellevues-2-5m-commitment-grand-connection-bridge-design/

Also, the Main Street overpass in downtown was partially reopened a few weeks ago. Took five months to rebuild as part of the widening/HOT lanes on I-405.

https://wsdot.wa.gov/about/news/2022/i-405-main-street-overpass-downtown-bellevue-partially-reopen-sunday-nov-20

Bruce

WSDOT is looking to replace the triangle-shaped junction between US 195 and SR 26 in Colfax. Three design options at this open house, which would all involve eliminating the very short and unsigned SR 26 Spur.

Personally, I think the roundabout is the best option.

ClassicHasClass

Reminds me of US 730 SPUR (at the US 12 junction).

Bruce

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on December 07, 2022, 10:26:39 PM
Reminds me of US 730 SPUR (at the US 12 junction).

Another endangered route if US 12 is moved to a new alignment as planned in the far future (but not yet funded).

ClassicHasClass

Yeah, I was thinking of that project. It's a good move generally though. Not a lot of space for US 12 down there.

Amaury

Quote from: Bruce on December 07, 2022, 03:20:00 PMWSDOT is looking to replace the triangle-shaped junction between US 195 and SR 26 in Colfax. Three design options at this open house, which would all involve eliminating the very short and unsigned SR 26 Spur.

Personally, I think the roundabout is the best option.

That's by the Chevron there, right? Where there's the narrow bridge with turning restrictions? https://goo.gl/maps/57pGJhH1EVEpDghW8 Personally, I don't see an issue with the current configuration. It's not that busy of a junction.

I didn't know SR 26 had a spur route, though. Is the spur route the road over the bridge?
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Bruce

Quote from: Amaury on December 09, 2022, 07:19:02 PM
That's by the Chevron there, right? Where there's the narrow bridge with turning restrictions? https://goo.gl/maps/57pGJhH1EVEpDghW8 Personally, I don't see an issue with the current configuration. It's not that busy of a junction.

I didn't know SR 26 had a spur route, though. Is the spur route the road over the bridge?

The spur route is the western bridge in the junction. Both bridges have to be replaced due to their age and generally being in an inefficient layout. Despite how it looks, it does get rather busy during WSU holidays and gamedays, since SR 26 is the main route for students/fans to get to and from I-90, while US 195 is the way from Spokane.

Amaury

Quote from: Bruce on December 09, 2022, 07:42:02 PMDespite how it looks, it does get rather busy during WSU holidays and gamedays, since SR 26 is the main route for students/fans to get to and from I-90, while US 195 is the way from Spokane.

Sounds like University Way here between Main Street and Maple Street when CWU students are moving into their dorms in the early fall and moving out of their dorms, for those who don't stay, in the late spring.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

jakeroot

Given that it's on a slower section of both routes, I think a roundabout makes sense.

I would prefer they replace the bridge rather than build next to it, as the graphic would suggest. That awkward bend is, well, really awkward. They could keep the other bridge and temporarily reconfigure the northern intersection while they replace the other, permanent bridge.

jakeroot

Posted this in the Redesigning Interchanges thread, I suppose more people here would find this interesting:

Quote from: jakeroot on February 10, 2023, 02:04:58 AM
Here is a concept for redesigning the I-5 / WA-512 interchange in Lakewood, Washington.

Location: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.1620488,-122.4765356,1446m/data=!3m1!1e3

Currently, the WA-512 freeway ends at a cloverleaf with I-5, with the road continuing to South Tacoma Way. The current freeway has a signalized off-ramp from southbound I-5 to eastbound WA-512, replacing the original loop around 2000. Presently, the westbound 512 freeway gets very backed up approaching I-5 due to weaving from the last westbound on-ramp and the traffic light from southbound I-5.

Long-term plans call for HOV lanes along both I-5 and WA-512, so I developed this future concept with that in mind.

First, and by far most importantly, my concept separates traffic into two corridors, where there is currently one. Traffic destined for South Tacoma Way now exits at Steele St and uses a new road, which I've called South Tacoma Way, to connect to the existing South Tacoma Way (the road will become Pacific Hwy south of existing signal (far left of the image)). Traffic destined for I-5 stays on the existing WA-512, and can use a newly aligned trumpet-style interchange to connect directly with I-5 without interfering with South Tacoma Way traffic. All ramps to and from I-5 will be two lanes, and the westbound to southbound loop will be enlarged from the current loop to improve capacity and safety. Traffic from Steele St, South Tacoma Way, and other nearby roads can directly access I-5 using new ramps.

Second, there are HOV-only ramps at three locations: (1) WA-512 to/from I-5 to the north, (2) WA-512 to/from I-5 to the south, and (3) to/from the park and ride in the southwest quadrant of the existing interchange (Texas T). The HOV ramps between WA-512 and I-5 to the north (#1) are sunken below I-5, and the HOV ramps between WA-512 and I-5 to the south make a 270 degree loop and tie into the WA-512 carriageway. This keeps the entire interchange three levels, but without going above the current maximum clearance, to avoid interfering with the McChord AFB runway approach.

Third, direct-access ramps to Steele St (north south road on far right of image) will be built to connect WA-512 traffic with this important corridor, which ultimately connects to the heavily-used Spanaway Loop Road to the south. The eastbound to southbound ramp would be at the same height as WA-512, with Steele St and South Tacoma Way being elevated, but the northbound to eastbound loop ramp would be built one level below WA-512.

Fourth, demolition would be required in at least two locations: (a) portions of the Lakewood Business Park in the northwest quadrant of the interchange, and (b) businesses south of the existing WA-512 including Kent Gypsum Supply, Corona Steel, 24ResTech, and Harlow Construction.

Feedback would be appreciated.

I-5 @ WA-512 Interchange Concept by Jacob Root, on Flickr

stevashe

I think this is overall a good interchange design. I like the creative way to separate traffic headed for South Tacoma Way from the I-5/SR 512 interchange. I also appreciate you squeezing in some direct connectors for future HOV lanes, though since your drawing is not to scale, I'm not sure whether they'd actually fit as you've drawn them. I'm also a little worried that the ramp to the P&R being so close would cause a weaving issue.

I do have one concern in that traffic currently backs up on the WB 512 to SB I-5 Ramp due to the tight curve on that loop ramp, which largely remains unchanged in this design. The HOV direct connector would help mitigate this by effectively adding another lane, but still being a loop ramp means the movement will have limited capacity regardless, due to the restricted speed around the tight curve. I see one reason you have for this design is to keep the clearance low for the McChord Field approach, however the interchange is about 4000 feet beyond the start of the approach surface for the runway, which gives a clearance of about 80 feet above the end of the runway at the surface's slope of 50 to 1, which should be more than enough to build a flyover bridge. There are certainly other issues that might make a flyover hard to fit in within the constraints of the interchange, especially without needing to take additional property, so the loop ramp option that you've drawn up still may be the best option.

jay8g

WSDOT released an update to their WSF service restoration plan today, in which they say they don't expect to start serving Sidney, BC again until "at least spring 2030". Yikes.

Their February 14th update listed the timelines for the remaining routes as "early 2023" for Fauntleroy/Vashon/Southworth, "spring 2023" for Seattle-Bremerton and Port Townsend-Coupeville, and "not... any sooner than Summer 2023" for Sidney, BC. All of those routes have been pushed back -- fall 2023 for F/V/S (with additional weekday service starting in the spring), October 2023 for Bremerton, and spring 2024 for Port Townsend.

And even those dates seem a little optimistic, since they're still having to cancel trips due to crew issues from time to time, primarily on the Point Defiance-Tahlequah and San Juan Islands routes, in addition to their well-documented shortage of reliable ferries.

Bruce

webny99

Random question... why are commercial vehicles (trucks/buses) banned from using the Peach Arch border crossing between BC and Washington? The only information I can find online is that it's been that way since 1970, but no explanation as to why that's the case. Any insight appreciated!

kkt

Quote from: webny99 on March 04, 2023, 11:53:40 AM
Random question... why are commercial vehicles (trucks/buses) banned from using the Peach Arch border crossing between BC and Washington? The only information I can find online is that it's been that way since 1970, but no explanation as to why that's the case. Any insight appreciated!

There's a separate truck customs parallel to the Peace Arch crossing about 1/2 mile east.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.