Regional Boards > Northwest

Washington

<< < (167/171) > >>

jakeroot:

--- Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 22, 2020, 12:08:24 AM ---Seattle Now & Then: West Seattle drawbridges, 1978

Someone asked earlier about the capacity of the older lower-level bridges.  The article said they were eight lanes, but the older photo shows the disabled bridge had three lanes.  They funneled the traffic onto four narrowed lanes on the remaining bridge.  Also the succession plans of West Seattle is discussed.

--- End quote ---

Cool article.

This video from Seattle Archives (which may not have aged well :-D) shows the old bridge in operation. Four lanes each way. Far left westbound lane was half concrete, half asphalt (see 1:12). Old aerial imagery suggests it was originally three lanes.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pQ7LcpMrf8
By the way: fantastic video for anyone that hasn't seen it, irrespective of the current situation.

TEG24601:

--- Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 11, 2020, 09:57:48 PM ---The Seattle Times: What cracked the West Seattle Bridge? Hidden design problem may have doomed it all along

--- End quote ---

Several engineer friends I know were really upset that the anchor cables don't cover the full span, and always told me that they way they did the tensioning was considered by many to be a ticking time-bomb.

Bruce:
The traffic lights on Pine Street have been covered up with plastic bags during protests.

mrsman:

--- Quote from: Bruce on June 08, 2020, 04:28:25 AM ---The traffic lights on Pine Street have been covered up with plastic bags during protests.

--- End quote ---
Why?  Is the street closed to traffic at all times?

Nexus 5X

jakeroot:
Maybe while the protestors are at it, they can forcibly remove the signals and place them on the corners so I can fucking see the signals when there's a bus ahead of me. Since right now, I'm blind approaching every intersection in my Golf.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version