AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bringing alcohol by car into the USA from Mexico  (Read 1015 times)


  • *
  • Offline Offline

  • Posts: 13953
  • Location: Wichita, KS
  • Last Login: September 18, 2020, 05:03:54 PM
Bringing alcohol by car into the USA from Mexico
« on: November 30, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »

I haven't been able to find the answer to this question, so I figured I'd post it here and see if someone knows the answer.

When driving north across the Mexican border at Del Rio (TX), there is a Texas Alcoholic Beverages Commission kiosk at the port of entry.  People bringing alcoholic beverages into Texas from Mexico are expected to pay the tax there; failure to pay the import tax is punishable by law.  Here's the thing, though:  I don't live in Texas.  I just happen to drive through Texas on my way home to Kansas.  So my question is, do I have to pay a tax to the TABC when I cross the border or not?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.


  • *
  • Offline Offline

  • Posts: 10871
  • Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

  • Age: 43
  • Location: Joliet, IL
  • Last Login: Today at 03:55:43 PM
Re: Bringing alcohol by car into the USA from Mexico
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »

No idea, but when I took a cruise about a decade ago out of Houston, upon returning, there were two sets of rules regarding alcohol.  One was the standard two 750 mL bottles per person for those of us who didn't live in Texas.  The TABC rules were to apply solely to Texas residents.  Thus, it may be based on your state of residence.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.


Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.