Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Why is every road in Virginia other than in the cities maintained by VDOT?

<< < (14/15) > >>

Mapmikey:

--- Quote ---On a side note, the highest numbered route in 2011 was SR 10657, which is Oak Rock Ct and located near Manassas near VA 28 and Green Trails Blvd.
--- End quote ---

The 2015 Fairfax County Traffic Log shows 10657 to still be the highest one.

Many of the 5 digit routes are signed.

I don't have many pics (riding around Northern Virginia for fun is not my thing.  Doing it for my commute is my jam...), but I do have one of 10500 which is off of VA 193:

Aug 2006

1995hoo:

--- Quote from: oscar on June 25, 2016, 09:55:49 AM ---....

Inova or its predecessor used to have a hospital in or very close to Fairfax city. I don't know if it handled childbirths, before its acute care services (except the emergency room) were closed and consolidated with the current Inova Fairfax hospital.

--- End quote ---

I believe that would be the former Commonwealth Hospital on Route 123? It's just inside the city limits. I couldn't tell you what services it provided either. I've been there once—I was taken to the ER there the day after my 16th birthday due to an accident at school, though ultimately they transferred me (not by ambulance) to Fairfax Hospital for surgery. I know there's still an ER there today, but it's no longer called Commonwealth.

cpzilliacus:

--- Quote from: froggie on June 25, 2016, 08:32:46 AM ---
--- Quote ---I was only talking about the section from the Micro Center to US-50.  I did not realize that there were more 5 digit route numbers though.  I only recall seeing that one in Fairfax.
--- End quote ---

As of 2011, there were several hundred 5-digit routes scattered all over Fairfax County.  I know some of them are signed, but I don't know the status of all of them.  While most are residential roads and/or cul-de-sacs, there are a few besides the south end of Nutley St that are collector or arterial roads.  For example, in 1995hoo's "part of the world", the east end of Kingstowne Blvd is SR 10421, and Walker Ln is SR 10026 (and signed as such).

On a side note, the highest numbered route in 2011 was SR 10657, which is Oak Rock Ct and located near Manassas near VA 28 and Green Trails Blvd.

--- End quote ---

There are a few off of Va. 695 (Idylwood Road) in Merrifield/Pimmit Hills/Falls Church (your choice ;-) ) area of Fairfax County like these.

kendancy66:

--- Quote from: oscar on June 25, 2016, 09:55:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: kendancy66 on June 25, 2016, 12:12:00 AM ---
--- Quote from: oscar on June 22, 2016, 01:52:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: 1995hoo on June 22, 2016, 01:43:28 PM ---I think the comment about Falls Church indicates confusion about the USPS assigning Falls Church addresses to places in Fairfax County. That doesn't mean those addresses are in the City of Falls Church, though—just like the Post Office says my address in Alexandria, but I live in (and pay taxes and vote in) Fairfax County.

--- End quote ---

The city of Falls Church is tiny (fortunately, since it's all a speed trap), but Falls Church postal addresses extend well beyond city limits and indeed reach west of the Beltway (for example, Inova Fairfax Hospital claims a Falls Church postal address).

--- End quote ---
Thanks for verifying that my son was born in Falls Church, instead of Fairfax.

--- End quote ---

What place of birth is shown on his birth certificate? Inova Fairfax is well outside Falls Church city limits, but in an unincorporated area of Fairfax County that's not particularly close to Fairfax independent city.

Inova or its predecessor used to have a hospital in or very close to Fairfax city. I don't know if it handled childbirths, before its acute care services (except the emergency room) were closed and consolidated with the current Inova Fairfax hospital.

--- End quote ---
I was remembering that it was odd to me that Inova Fairfax hospital on Gallows Rd would have a Falls Church address.  I would have assumed it would be Fairfax or something like Annandale which seems closer to the actual location than Falls Church.   I never had really investigated why

The birth certificate lists Fairfax COUNTY as location, so not help there.  Maybe the Fairfax in the hospital name refers to the county instead of the city?

Anyway, seeing your post reminded me of this issue.  That is why responded to it.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

famartin:

--- Quote from: 1995hoo on June 18, 2016, 02:42:02 PM ---For the sake of completeness, it may also be worth noting there are lots of "private" roads in Virginia in the sense that while they're open to the public, they're owned and maintained by private entities. The typical example, especially in Northern Virginia but by no means limited to here, is roads owned by homeowners' associations. HOA dues pay for the maintenance, to include repaving, sealcoating, plowing, etc. I live on such a street in Kingstowne and it sometimes leads to the weird situation during the winter where our street is nicely plowed by the HOA plow but you can't go far because the VDOT System street to which ours connects has not yet seen a plow (the HOA plow is not permitted to clear VDOT roads for liability reasons). It also leads to the somewhat more annoying situation of our street being in excellent condition and the VDOT System street having a few washboard-like sections where they didn't do a very good job of repairing potholes.

As Mike notes, it's pretty common for VDOT System roads to have been built by developers as part of the "proffers" required by the county as conditions to building something, especially a neighborhood.

--- End quote ---

That situation with the HOA road plowing happened to me too, except I could just barely get out on the VDOT road (fortunately).

I get the VDOT system, but I wish all the 600+ routes would just be signed as county roads (since all the numbers get duplicated), instead of "state secondary".  Minor difference but would ease the confusion of 'why is there a SR 606 that don't connect in distant counties'?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version