News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

'Obsolete' songs?

Started by mgk920, July 07, 2016, 11:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: inkyatari on April 02, 2019, 10:32:53 AM
Super Bowl Shuffle.

I have that record downstairs somewhere.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 02, 2019, 02:58:18 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on April 02, 2019, 10:32:53 AM
Super Bowl Shuffle.

I have that record downstairs somewhere.

I have it, too. I was actually a fan of that Bears team. A unique bunch of personalities -- McMahon, Payton, Perry, etc. Da Bears.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

spooky

Even though they were playing against (and ended up slaughtering) my Patriots, I still dug the Super Bowl Shuffle song.

SectorZ

I always felt that any songs from the mid-to-late 90's that were about the internet sound completely dated.

Lyrically in these 2 cases...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMr_avZAxUQ ("Future Shock" by Colorado metal band Jag Panzer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52cA3f7F7K8 ("Virtuality" by Rush - maybe the one time Neil Peart wrote 'dated by now' lyrics)

And, for a bonus, lyrically and with sounds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAVgJQVo2oE ("Hello" by Poe - a song that is the soundtrack to my horrible freshman year of college)

kevinb1994

Quote from: SectorZ on April 03, 2019, 10:26:07 AM
I always felt that any songs from the mid-to-late 90's that were about the internet sound completely dated.

Lyrically in these 2 cases...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMr_avZAxUQ ("Future Shock" by Colorado metal band Jag Panzer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52cA3f7F7K8 ("Virtuality" by Rush - maybe the one time Neil Peart wrote 'dated by now' lyrics)

And, for a bonus, lyrically and with sounds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAVgJQVo2oE ("Hello" by Poe - a song that is the soundtrack to my horrible freshman year of college)

That Rush song though...I was too young at the time it came out, but when I hit my teens it did resonate a little despite the dated lyrics.

abefroman329

You want to talk about dated Rush songs, how about Roll The Bones with that dumbass rap in the middle of it ("Jack, get back/Get busy with the facts"  :rolleyes:).

kevinb1994

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 03, 2019, 02:40:36 PM
You want to talk about dated Rush songs, how about Roll The Bones with that dumbass rap in the middle of it ("Jack, get back/Get busy with the facts"  :rolleyes:).

Meh. I beg to differ.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on April 04, 2019, 01:16:44 PM
Get back, JoJo!
No more obsolete than Lola or the aforementioned Walk On The Wild Side.

noelbotevera

General list of any song that will be obsolete:

-Those that protest Vietnam/Nicaragua/any war the US/other countries has had in the last 15 years
-Those about old telephone services/systems
-Those about historical events, written shortly after the event (ex. Ohio (1970))
-Those written shortly after the public debut of the Internet
-Those mentioning past presidents/leaders

There's more, but I'm too lazy to include a complete list. I've probably covered a wide breadth of songs already.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

kphoger

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 04, 2019, 04:33:10 PM

Also technology.

Remember the Dire Straits song Money for Nothing?  It not only mentions MTV like it's all the rage, but also specifically mentions "color TVs".  When was the last time you saw a TV that wasn't color?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kphoger on April 04, 2019, 04:39:08 PM

Also technology.

Remember the Dire Straits song Money for Nothing?  It not only mentions MTV like it's all the rage, but also specifically mentions "color TVs".  When was the last time you saw a TV that wasn't color?

That's not the only one that mentions color TV.

noelbotevera

Quote from: kphoger on April 04, 2019, 04:39:08 PM

Also technology.

The latest genuine B&W TV I've ever seen was manufactured in 1985 or thereabouts. It was a GoldStar TV probably being sold on the cheap, and those B&W sets tend to come from Asia (though I have seen B&W 80s sets from the Admiral brand, which is American). I'd be shocked if I saw B&W sets being manufactured into the 90s, though.

But as of 2019 and within my lifetime? I'd have to dig around thrift stores and yard sales to actually see a B&W TV in the flesh.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Big John

roadman65

The song Jukebox ( Don't Put Another Dime In The Jukebox) by the Flirts as it now is a dollar for just one song to be played. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on April 04, 2019, 11:25:08 PM
The song Jukebox ( Don't Put Another Dime In The Jukebox) by the Flirts as it now is a dollar for just one song to be played.
[/quote

Used to be able to put a nickel on D9.

roadman65

Riding With The King by BB King and Eric Clapton features the line "Take a TWA to the promised land" which refers to the defunct airline carrier taking passengers.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on April 04, 2019, 11:34:30 PM
Riding With The King by BB King and Eric Clapton features the line "Take a TWA to the promised land" which refers to the defunct airline carrier taking passengers.

TWA was taken over by AA.

Big John

Brand New Key by Melanie.  Was written when roller skates had keys.

mgk920

Has anyone yet mentioned Please Mr. Postman (various artists)?

Mike

roadman65

Quote from: kevinb1994 on April 04, 2019, 11:43:05 PM

TWA was taken over by JetBlue.
But the name is not used so its obsolete if the song were released today.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

TWA was taken over by JetBlue.
American, not JetBlue.

kevinb1994

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 05, 2019, 09:13:29 AM

TWA was taken over by AA.
American, not JetBlue.

But JetBlue has taken over their former hub spot at JFK.

kevinb1994

Quote from: mgk920 on April 05, 2019, 12:07:02 AM
Has anyone yet mentioned Please Mr. Postman (various artists)?

Mike

That's a clever example.

PHLBOS

Quote from: kevinb1994 on April 05, 2019, 10:06:53 AMBut JetBlue has taken over their former hub spot at JFK, along with (at least some of) their aircraft/airplanes.
Incorrect regarding aircraft.  At the time, JetBlue's fleet were all factory-fresh A320s; a type that American wouldn't even use at all until it merged w/US Airways a few years ago.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.