News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What if Bakersfield, CA had freeway bypasses on either north or south of the cit

Started by ACSCmapcollector, July 11, 2016, 09:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myosh_tino

If I recall correctly, wasn't the completion of the I-580 freeway between I-80 and the San Rafael Bridge done quite hastily after the Bay Bridge collapse and closure in the aftermath of 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake?

I'm seem to recall watching the local news coverage of Caltrans feverishly working to complete the freeway in the vicinity of Hoffman Blvd.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

coatimundi

Wikipedia says '91, but I have a '96 Rand McNally that shows only a surface street connection between I-80 and Hoffman Blvd.
I thought the freeway was mostly completed by the early 90's, but the interchange with I-80 wasn't completed until much later. I could be wrong though.

myosh_tino

Quote from: coatimundi on July 12, 2016, 05:55:25 PM
Wikipedia says '91, but I have a '96 Rand McNally that shows only a surface street connection between I-80 and Hoffman Blvd.
I thought the freeway was mostly completed by the early 90's, but the interchange with I-80 wasn't completed until much later. I could be wrong though.

I seem to recall that the 80-580 interchange was rebuilt in the 90's.  I believe the original configuration had I-580 being a left exit from I-80.  Otherwise, it was a perfectly serviceable interchange between the two 2 freeways.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

coatimundi

I do love when people take pics/scan their old maps when they sell them on eBay...
A '92 AAA map shows a freeway connection, so I would guess Rand McNally was just wrong. I'm sure all will be in shock at that, so I'll just let you grieve in your own ways. Counseling available, if necessary.

TheStranger

Quote from: myosh_tino on July 12, 2016, 06:04:58 PM

I seem to recall that the 80-580 interchange was rebuilt in the 90's.  I believe the original configuration had I-580 being a left exit from I-80.  Otherwise, it was a perfectly serviceable interchange between the two 2 freeways.

Correct (the Kurumi entry on 580 discusses when the left exit was switched to a right-hand split ca. 1997).

Prior to 1984, Hoffman Boulevard and the Richmond Bridge were the northernmost constructed extent of Route 17 (which had been on that portion of Eastshore in some form since the late 1930s) so I guess the operating theory when the split was built originally was that Route 17 traffic had already entered onto the northbound (eastbound) Eastshore lanes from the left at the Macarthur Maze, and could continue without weaving on those left-side lanes towards the port area of Richmond.  (Of course, southbound Route 17 still had to merge over from right to left in comparison)

Chris Sampang

ACSCmapcollector

I actually seen part of the Interstate 880 being almost reconstructed from the local Amtrak route through Oakland too, from the railroad during my summer trip in 1997, back from Albany, Oregon to San Luis Obispo, CA.  The I-80/I-880/I-580 interchange was reconfigured for transition ramps of I-80 west and eastbound lands to and from Oakland/San Francisco before the new alignment of the single tower suspension bridge was completed.

Scott C. Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

Avalanchez71

Does Bakersfield need a bypass?  Cannot SR 99 just be upgraded?  Is traffic that bad?

coatimundi

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 14, 2016, 03:47:02 PM
Does Bakersfield need a bypass?  Cannot SR 99 just be upgraded?  Is traffic that bad?

I've driven through Bakersfield at rush hour a couple of times, and it never seemed that bad to me. The ramp from 58 westbound to 99 backs up, but that's because it's just poorly designed, and it wouldn't be too hard to remedy. Once the Centennial Corridor is completed, that should help a lot.
99 always seems to have quite a bit of traffic on it. Most of it seems to be thru traffic though.
I like the Beltway project in that it's just building new arterial thruways out in the sprawl, allowing the trans-suburban traffic that might otherwise end up on the freeways, and allowing for freeway upgrades as necessary.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 14, 2016, 03:47:02 PM

No it's mild as can be.  It's like coatimundi said it's mainly a traffic backup on 58/99 if at all.  I'm not saying it DOESN'T need one eventually with the growth here, but it's nothing I can complain about after some of the traffic I've driven in the past.

ACSCmapcollector

What about that section of the Cenntennial Corridor from Mohawk Street to the Golden State Freeway, California state route 99 in Bakersfield, CA. What about this section being built, lawsuits from blocking it, or when it will be under construction?  Just wanted to know.

Scott C Presnal
Morro Bay, CA

roadfro

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on July 14, 2016, 09:20:03 PM
What about that section of the Cenntennial Corridor from Mohawk Street to the Golden State Freeway, California state route 99 in Bakersfield, CA. What about this section being built, lawsuits from blocking it, or when it will be under construction?  Just wanted to know.

There's already a thread for that... https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11312.0
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.