AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: The happy state of affairs in automobilia of the 2000ís, 2010ís & 2020ís  (Read 879 times)

Tonytone

• Last Login: Today at 10:35:26 PM
    • LawnCare Website

This is becoming something of a theme regarding market segments that once were considered dead having pent up demand.  The same recently happened with the reemergence of Mid-Size trucks and happened fairly recently with Muscle Cars/Pony Cars.  Does this mean there is a somewhat sizable market for a resurgence in the ďrealĒ station wagon and mini-van?

No. See: Buick Regal TourX, VW Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack, and the Volvo V60/V90. All recently released wagons, all currently clogging up dealer lots because nobody bought them. The only wagon that moves in any significant numbers is the Subaru Outback, and that's because it markets itself as an SUV.

As far as I can tell, nobody has any nostalgia for the station wagons of yore except navel-gazing Jalopnik readers.
Ha, station wagons are UGLY. YUCK. This aint 1975 anymore. We want CUVís SUVís TRUCKS & LUXURY SEDANS

iPhone
Working on Civil Engineer Degree/Creator of Valuez Lawn-Care

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: Today at 06:49:44 PM
    • Flashing Lights (blog)

This is becoming something of a theme regarding market segments that once were considered dead having pent up demand.  The same recently happened with the reemergence of Mid-Size trucks and happened fairly recently with Muscle Cars/Pony Cars.  Does this mean there is a somewhat sizable market for a resurgence in the ďrealĒ station wagon and mini-van?

No. See: Buick Regal TourX, VW Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack, and the Volvo V60/V90. All recently released wagons, all currently clogging up dealer lots because nobody bought them. The only wagon that moves in any significant numbers is the Subaru Outback, and that's because it markets itself as an SUV.

As far as I can tell, nobody has any nostalgia for the station wagons of yore except navel-gazing Jalopnik readers.
The flip side of that is the Acura TSX wagon, which had low production numbers due to a combination of neither the V6 nor the manual being available on it, and the 2011 earthquake causing facelifted TSX production to be slowed in general. Today the wagon has much higher resale than a sedan of the same year, because production never met demand.
Don't pick apart my vision of complete psychotic breakdown, please.  I'm trying to make a point here.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 10:16:33 PM
    • Gribblenation

Ha, station wagons are UGLY. YUCK. This aint 1975 anymore. We want CUVís SUVís TRUCKS & LUXURY SEDANS

iPhone

Arenít luxury sedan sales dropping also? 

Tonytone

• LawnCare Website

iPhone

I think Benz, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai & Honda would like a word with you in the back office.

iPhone

CoreySamson

• Buc-ee's Fanboy

• Last Login: August 02, 2020, 10:09:53 PM

Anyone else think Toyotas are getting really ugly these days? The C-HR, Sienna, and Highlander (among others) look like hot garbage.

I would actually love a station wagon. As a teen, I want cars that look cool, handle well, are efficient, and have some sort of cargo capacity. A wagon best fulfills those wants. The Outback is cool, but I would want something like a new Dodge Magnum or Jetta SportWagen. If Honda would export and homologate the JDM Jade, I would flip out.
In 2019, I drove 85 mph legally before I turned 16!

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 10:16:33 PM
    • Gribblenation

iPhone

I think Benz, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai & Honda would like a word with you in the back office.

iPhone

I just assumed that they were all starting to emphasize CUVs like everyone else seems to be in volume brands.  That wasnít an assertion that the sedan much less the luxury sedan is dead.  It is kind of bizarre to me to see things like Jaguar CUVs. 

Takumi

• Flashing Lights (blog)

Anyone else think Toyotas are getting really ugly these days? The C-HR, Sienna, and Highlander (among others) look like hot garbage.
Hit and miss for me. I donít mind the C-HR, although the rear visibility looks to leave a lot to be desired so I wouldnít consider one. I genuinely like the RAV4, and the Corolla hatch isnít bad. I also like the Supra, 4Runner, and Land Cruiser, but theyíre all out of my price range. The Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Sienna, and 86 though...yeesh. (The 86 is a shame, because as the Scion FR-S it looked quite good, and its Subaru BRZ twin still does. But oh, that facelift when they stuck the Toyota badge on it.)

I would actually love a station wagon. As a teen, I want cars that look cool, handle well, are efficient, and have some sort of cargo capacity. A wagon best fulfills those wants. The Outback is cool, but I would want something like a new Dodge Magnum or Jetta SportWagen. If Honda would export and homologate the JDM Jade, I would flip out.
You can still find Regal TourXís and Golf Sportwagens (basically the same as the Jetta, just rebranded for some reason) for good deals. Once my Aristo/GS and Fiero projects are done, Iím considering importing an early-mid 00s Toyota Crown Estate Athlete V or Toyota Mark II Blit. Both RWD turbo inline-6 powered wagons.
Don't pick apart my vision of complete psychotic breakdown, please.  I'm trying to make a point here.

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 05:13:35 PM

I dont think people buy SUVís caring about MPG so they need to forget about aerodynamic designs.

If a buyer has narrowed his or her choices down to two different SUVs, then there's a good chance fuel economy will be a big factor in determining which one gets purchased.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

Takumi

• Flashing Lights (blog)

iPhone

iPhone

I just assumed that they were all starting to emphasize CUVs like everyone else seems to be in volume brands.  That wasnít an assertion that the sedan much less the luxury sedan is dead.  It is kind of bizarre to me to see things like Jaguar CUVs. 
Last year at Virginia International Raceway I saw a Lamborghini Urus. Imagine telling someone 20 years ago that Lamborghini would make another SUV.

Acura, for one, is definitely starting to focus more on SUVs than cars. The flagship RLX is being dropped after this year, and the entry-level ILX is on a decade-old Civic chassis. (The new TLX is a much, much better car than its predecessor, however, and the NSX supercar will continue to sell in the low thousands every year because itís used in sports car racing worldwide.) I, and many others, am a fan of the current RDX crossover, and may get one in the future. Thereís also an HR-V-based Acura called the CDX sold in Asia, and Iím shocked that they havenít seriously considered bringing it over here given how well subcompact crossovers were doing before the pandemic.

Tonytone

• LawnCare Website

iPhone

iPhone

No matter what sedans will never go away.

You have some families & single people who will buy sedans like benz because they have the money, dont need a big car or live in a city.

I would drive a 1990 Bmw in Philly over my 2016 Dodge ram.

I think the big thing in the emergence of CUVís is having a SUV like car that has speed, room & style, however also having a small enough vehicle to drive into the city/backroads/suburbs with ease without having an issue.

iPhone
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 01:50:12 PM by Tonytone »

Tonytone

• LawnCare Website

I dont think people buy SUVís caring about MPG so they need to forget about aerodynamic designs.

If a buyer has narrowed his or her choices down to two different SUVs, then there's a good chance fuel economy will be a big factor in determining which one gets purchased.
Ehh will it? Or are they narrowing the choice down based on the features & style?

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.