AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Summer 2017 road trips  (Read 8685 times)

JJBers

• I'm a road geek in the middle of nowhere

• Last Login: November 12, 2017, 12:49:55 AM
Re: Summer 2017 road trips
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2017, 03:47:26 PM »

I'm possibly not finished for the summer, I might be going to the Augusta area this September or after.
But my biggest trips, Atlanta to Willimantic, and a trip to New York, with the return a massive detour all the way to New Hampshire.
Here's my New York Trip:

And here's my upcoming trip to Maine:
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di: I-81 [TN, WV-MD], I-84, I-95 [NH, CT-NY, MD-GA], and I-91)

JJBers

• I'm a road geek in the middle of nowhere

• Last Login: November 12, 2017, 12:49:55 AM
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2017, 04:10:38 PM »

I'm possibly not finished for the summer, I might be going to the Augusta area this September or after.
But my biggest trips, Atlanta to Willimantic, and a trip to New York, with the return a massive detour all the way to New Hampshire.
Here's my New York Trip:
snip
And here's my upcoming trip to Maine:
snip
Surprise trip to Acton, MA this weekend, I'll be back Sunday. October.
Map:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:21:55 AM by JJBers »
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di: I-81 [TN, WV-MD], I-84, I-95 [NH, CT-NY, MD-GA], and I-91)

Roadgeekteen

• fuck the jets and yankees

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:32 AM
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2017, 11:13:29 PM »

Just went to the white mountains.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

hm insulators

• Last Login: October 19, 2017, 04:01:16 PM
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »

I'm looking forward to my road trip to Branson, Missouri next week to see an old friend I haven't seen in many years and use his home as a base to see the eclipse of the sun. I'll probably use I-40 for much of the way but nothing's really cast in concrete, so to speak. I've reserved a rental car as my 21-year-old Buick probably couldn't make the trip.

The trip to see the eclipse was a success! I saw totality from a little town not far from St. Louis called Potosi.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

D-Dey65

• Last Login: November 10, 2017, 10:44:20 AM
« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2017, 12:21:06 AM »

Apparently I'm going to wind up in one to New York City and Long Island sometime this weekend.

The one I wanted for November is still being planned.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: November 10, 2017, 10:44:20 AM
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2017, 10:46:39 PM »

As I had promised on two previous posts, I would explain why I was taking an earlier trip to the New York Tri-State Area when I came back. Now that I'm back, I'm going to tell you.

It was so my mother and I could bury my father's urn at Calverton National Cemetery. The man died just before all the hurricanes came, thankfully.

We took turns to drive, and at times it was a long, nerve-wrecking, and confusing drive for my mother, but not for me. It was especially bad in the DC Metro Area, as those of us in the know would expect.

On the way back, I decided I would take the wheel and get her around Baltimore and DC via US 301. Not such a great idea, since there MDTA was replacing bridge joints, and forcing traffic to use one lane. Virginia and Maryland had better team up and replace that damn thing soon.

Add to that the family Jack Russell Terrier who hates going in cars, and you've got even more of a fiasco.

I'm still going back up in November by myself, but I haven't set a date.

hbelkins

• Celebrating another day that Hillary isn't prez.

• Last Login: November 17, 2017, 11:02:24 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2017, 02:10:01 PM »

Shortly after I had to cancel my plans to attend the Twin Cities meet due to using up all my accrued leave time from work due to a medical issue, i found myself with some unplanned, unscheduled time off. I used the opportunity to take three road trips.

First was a trip out to the midwest to retrace some of the route I'd planned to take to the Twin Cities. I used the opportunity to clinch US 150 and I-39, and also to fill in some holes in my Iowa and Minnesota county maps.

Next, I ventured into West Virginia to clinch a bunch of state routes, which put me in a position to finish off West Virginia's signed primary route system. That trip took me into the northern and eastern panhandles, and I got to drive the most recently finished portion of Corridor H.

Finally, I headed to North Carolina to finish clinching the US route that runs closest to my home, US 421. Also on that trip, I completed I-40 and US 52 in North Carolina.

In addition, my brother and I went to Tennessee into the path of totality for the solar eclipse.

Then, when I went to the Columbus meet last weekend, I completed all Ohio River crossings between West Virginia and Ohio, and clinched West Virginia's signed state primary highway system.

I'm gradually getting those photos up on Flickr and Facebook.

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 03:52:30 AM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »

I took one huge mega-road trip this summer, cross-country to California and back with lots of sidewinding and side trips along the way. The trip took about two and a half months (net of two breaks, one a side trip flying round trip between Seattle and southeast Alaska, the other flying round trip between Sacramento and home), putting about 25,000 miles on my old pickup truck.

The outbound trip was basically a southern itinerary, clinching the parts of US 412 I hadn't previously covered then the south end of US 85 in El Paso to clinch that route, then over to US 191 from the border into Utah then picking up US 89 in Utah to start on finishing off both routes, then diving south to Yuma and along the border to San Diego before turning back north to the Extra Miler Club annual meeting in Ontario CA. From there I worked my way north through rural eastern California, toward Seattle for my side trip to Alaska, then back down to Sacramento for round-trip back home. After flying back to California, I wandered around northern California some more, then north into the total eclipse path just after the eclipse watchers had started clearing out, then some zigzagging from Oregon to Wyoming then back, then up to Montana to finish off several US routes, then arriving back home two days before the cataract surgery from which I'm now recovering.

As I mentioned in the solar eclipse threads, my August travels took me across the parts of the totality path between eastern Oregon and southwestern Wyoming. Unlike others on this forum, I set out to avoid the eclipse and its associated crowds and traffic. But eclipse-avoidance proved to be about as much of a pain in the ass as eclipse attendance. I might do things differently for the next U.S. total eclipse in 2024.

This was a productive but somewhat unpleasant road trip. My old pickup truck had three breakdowns along the way, each throwing me off my itinerary for a day or two. So this will almost certainly be that truck's last road trip, though I'm still noodling whether to replace it and with what. I had hoped to get in some hot springing, but it turned out to be the wrong season for most of the springs I wanted to visit (unpleasant weather and/or forest fires). I couldn't even get in some beach time, so until the last two days of my trip visiting some friends on the Jersey Shore, my only "beach experience" this summer involved a bear killing a deer on a cold gravel beach, less than 100 yards from the lodge where I was staying.

But just this year (including previous trips) I've been to 44 states (including Alaska and Hawaii), three Mexican estados, and four Canadian provinces -- no new counties or other jurisdictions, though my off-Interstate travels took me to many county seats I hadn't previously visited. I also finished off US 2 (western -- already clinched the eastern segment), US 12, US 20, US 26, US 30, US 85, US 89, US 95, US 191, US 310, and US 412, as well as about 95% of the California state highway system.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Roadgeekteen

• fuck the jets and yankees

• Last Login: Today at 01:46:32 AM
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2017, 08:33:54 PM »

I took one huge mega-road trip this summer, cross-country to California and back with lots of sidewinding and side trips along the way. The trip took about two and a half months (net of two breaks, one a side trip flying round trip between Seattle and southeast Alaska, the other flying round trip between Sacramento and home), putting about 25,000 miles on my old pickup truck.

The outbound trip was basically a southern itinerary, clinching the parts of US 412 I hadn't previously covered then the south end of US 85 in El Paso to clinch that route, then over to US 191 from the border into Utah then picking up US 89 in Utah to start on finishing off both routes, then diving south to Yuma and along the border to San Diego before turning back north to the Extra Miler Club annual meeting in Ontario CA. From there I worked my way north through rural eastern California, toward Seattle for my side trip to Alaska, then back down to Sacramento for round-trip back home. After flying back to California, I wandered around northern California some more, then north into the total eclipse path just after the eclipse watchers had started clearing out, then some zigzagging from Oregon to Wyoming then back, then up to Montana to finish off several US routes, then arriving back home two days before the cataract surgery from which I'm now recovering.

As I mentioned in the solar eclipse threads, my August travels took me across the parts of the totality path between eastern Oregon and southwestern Wyoming. Unlike others on this forum, I set out to avoid the eclipse and its associated crowds and traffic. But eclipse-avoidance proved to be about as much of a pain in the ass as eclipse attendance. I might do things differently for the next U.S. total eclipse in 2024.

This was a productive but somewhat unpleasant road trip. My old pickup truck had three breakdowns along the way, each throwing me off my itinerary for a day or two. So this will almost certainly be that truck's last road trip, though I'm still noodling whether to replace it and with what. I had hoped to get in some hot springing, but it turned out to be the wrong season for most of the springs I wanted to visit (unpleasant weather and/or forest fires). I couldn't even get in some beach time, so until the last two days of my trip visiting some friends on the Jersey Shore, my only "beach experience" this summer involved a bear killing a deer on a cold gravel beach, less than 100 yards from the lodge where I was staying.

But just this year (including previous trips) I've been to 44 states (including Alaska and Hawaii), three Mexican estados, and four Canadian provinces -- no new counties or other jurisdictions, though my off-Interstate travels took me to many county seats I hadn't previously visited. I also finished off US 2 (western -- already clinched the eastern segment), US 12, US 20, US 26, US 30, US 85, US 89, US 95, US 191, US 310, and US 412, as well as about 95% of the California state highway system.
  Have you clinched all of the 2di us highways?
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 03:52:30 AM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2017, 08:55:08 PM »

Have you clinched all of the 2di us highways?

Not even close. The US routes (including 3dius routes) are a huge system covering over 138,000 miles (more than three times as large as the Interstate system), about 40,000 miles of which I haven't traveled. My coverage is particularly weak in the southeastern states, and north-south routes between the Rockies and the Appalachians.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

CNGL-Leudimin

• Posting from the future!

• Last Login: Today at 05:03:11 AM
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2017, 05:59:07 PM »

So I ended up taking a roadtrip to Navarre in early September. As I'm running out of unclinched roads in my immediate area I now have to go further.
Proudly carrying the Hypotenuse in my plans :sombrero:

All times Eastern. Don't be surprised if I go to sleep at 6 p.m. :-P.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.